JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/27/18 12:46 p.m.
feature_image

When your intent is to drive your competition car to the track, not all your mods will be performance-oriented. Yes, we’re about to talk about a cupholder. Stock C5 cupholders are hot garbage. And when you’re making 1000-mile drives for some track or autocross time, sometimes you need a place to put that refreshing beverage where you know it’s not …

Read the rest of the story

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/27/18 1:09 p.m.

Tomorrow's GRM Live episode? laugh

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/18 7:21 a.m.

wow, you guys really are getting this thing ready for OneLap, eh?  cheeky

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/28/18 8:45 a.m.

Will you get rid of the deathtrap seats?

I broke my C5's seatback just climbing backwards into the trunk area; I only weighed 150# at the time. Who knows what would've happened if I'd crashed.

May I suggest trying out a Tillett carbon-fiber seat? I've never seen a review of their car seats, but I know their kart seats set the standard.

JG Pasterjak
2/28/18 9:53 a.m.
chaparral said:

Will you get rid of the deathtrap seats?

I broke my C5's seatback just climbing backwards into the trunk area; I only weighed 150# at the time. Who knows what would've happened if I'd crashed.

May I suggest trying out a Tillett carbon-fiber seat? I've never seen a review of their car seats, but I know their kart seats set the standard.

C5 seats are hot garbage. We definitely plan some upgrades in that department.

We've talked to http://www.marradind.com and will likely be doing some work with them to improve our driver seating arrangements before any serious track use.

Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
2/28/18 2:18 p.m.

Sounds like you guys are fixing just about all my gripes with the C5. You guys are doing great work! Glad to hear a lot of these complaints can be easily fixed in the aftermarket.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/3/18 7:49 p.m.

I have a single Travel Buddy cup holder hanger on the passenger side of the console of my '99 FRC that the PO installed.  It works well enough, but I notice it seems to be in my wife's way at times.  I know they also offer a dual unit, but your above the console between the seats unit looks to be pretty trick.  Two drinks, a third center one for a big gulp or a Yeti cup as well as coin slots, the rear slots for CD or larger items like an iPad.  The side openings look to be for old flip phones or glasses - not sure about Androids, Galaxy or iPhones.  The big question is how does it work when you have to reach across you chest to get to or place your drink in the holder?

I have the sound deadening partition and it makes a world of difference, especially on concert highways.  I plan to remove the interior and install a full under carpet/trim noise and heat insulation kit in hopes of making my '99 FRC a bit more livable.

JG Pasterjak
3/3/18 9:00 p.m.
deaconblue said:

I have a single Travel Buddy cup holder hanger on the passenger side of the console of my '99 FRC that the PO installed.  It works well enough, but I notice it seems to be in my wife's way at times.  I know they also offer a dual unit, but your above the console between the seats unit looks to be pretty trick.  Two drinks, a third center one for a big gulp or a Yeti cup as well as coin slots, the rear slots for CD or larger items like an iPad.  The side openings look to be for old flip phones or glasses - not sure about Androids, Galaxy or iPhones.  The big question is how does it work when you have to reach across you chest to get to or place your drink in the holder?

I have the sound deadening partition and it makes a world of difference, especially on concert highways.  I plan to remove the interior and install a full under carpet/trim noise and heat insulation kit in hopes of making my '99 FRC a bit more livable.

The cup part of the cupholder works great, but you're right about the phone holes. They come from a bygone era of Motorola flips and Nokia bricks. Still, my phone is usually on a suction mount on the windshield anyway, doing GPS duty, so it's no biggie.

Personally I can't do the reach around with my left arm. I have to go back with my right arm. It makes you have to kind of grab the cup backhanded, but it's still better than that practical joke of a "cupholder" they put next to the shifter.

As for that divider panel, it fells a little weird to evangelize so passionately about a non-performance upgrade, but these things are just an absolutely essential mod for the coupes. It's $100 you'll never regret spending. I'm actually a little nervous because we plan to put a roll bar in the car before long for time trial events, and I'm really hoping I can find a way to make it work with the bar.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/4/18 10:01 a.m.

One other thing to keep in mind it that during the mid-cycle refreshing for the '01 MY they added more/better interior insulation to the C5, but that was dropped from the Z06 models due to weight concerns.  The top priorities on the engineers list of needed improvement over the C5 when designing the C6 were; improved cabin noise and heat isolation and better headlamps.

The PO bought a foam partition than is not covered with a felt material so it could be trimmed fairly easily to fit around a roll cage.  But keep in mind that the roll cage it self would still transmit noise and resonance into the cabin, (who cares with a track car, but if you drive it on the street you will care) unless maybe you could fill the tubing with some type of automotive structural foam, like the factories due with some newer late model vehicle's A-pillars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wFlBiaXm5jU7IxYUKYBLVEnZq08iy5dJmuX4m1edieHDUkgusXkG3Gejy6365CPY