JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/25/19 8:08 a.m.
feature_image

We’d previously added some aero elements to our C5 Corvette to move air around the body in a more favorable way, but until recently we’d neglected to address the way air moved through the body—specifically the engine bay. This neglect was driven home when we saw a photo from a recent Time Trial at Daytona International Speedway:

Yes, that’s …

Read the rest of the story

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
9/25/19 6:49 p.m.

Are you not concerned that the ‘waterfall’ might flood your throttle body or other electrical components in the engine bay? 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
9/25/19 8:05 p.m.

In reply to PowerKraut :

Perhaps this is the source of the name?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/25/19 8:09 p.m.

I'll wait for Stafford1500 to see this, but I suspect that a small Gurney flap at the leading edge may help? 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/19 8:11 p.m.

sweet no hood lift PS level check mod ;)

JG Pasterjak
9/25/19 8:15 p.m.
PowerKraut said:

Are you not concerned that the ‘waterfall’ might flood your throttle body or other electrical components in the engine bay? 

It should get no wetter than when I'm washing the motor. It's not like it sits out in the rain or anything. 

JG Pasterjak
9/25/19 8:16 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'll wait for Stafford1500 to see this, but I suspect that a small Gurney flap at the leading edge may help? 

So it's hard to see in those photos but the front flange is actually sculpted with a little built-in spoiler. Someone's on the same page as you already :)

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
9/26/19 7:35 a.m.

Looks good but too bad you had to trim the center vent. Did you consider the Track Spec vents? I think your carbon vents look better but at least the TS require less trimming. How about some full body shots with the black hood! Also not to nitpick but you should have used black head rivits

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/26/19 8:46 a.m.

Is it wrong that now I want to put a similar hood vent on my '98 Buick Regal?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/19 10:55 a.m.

If you are going to paint the vents to match the hood and car, I would consider molding a cover over the throttlebody into the vent just to make it all look better

Scooter70
Scooter70 New Reader
9/27/19 8:15 a.m.

I came here just to make sure that you weren't going to cut up that Commemorative Edition carbon fiber hood.  wink

I have the Trackspec vents on my C6 hood.  Getting that dirty air out from under the hood definitely helps the front end float / lift at speed.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/27/19 10:04 a.m.

Any thoughts on venting on the fenders above thw eheels to remove that lift as well?

JG Pasterjak
9/27/19 8:49 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Any thoughts on venting on the fenders above thw eheels to remove that lift as well?

Yeah. It's a good idea. I put the side slats close enough to the edge where we can build some chimneys from the wheel wells out the hood eventually. We'd have to move the coolant tank and windscreen washer tank, though.

RC45
RC45 New Reader
9/28/19 3:20 a.m.

I have been running a carbon fiber vented louvred waterfall hood on my 580rwhp LS7 powered C5Z06 since 2006.

Also have vents on the top of the front wheel wells and vents at the rear of the front wheel wells as well as full front splitter and under tray running to the front axle line combined with a 70" wide carbon rear wing.

Never had any issues with water in the engine bay, it is all water proof anyway and with the heat extractor vents and the air flow vents never suffered any front end lift at any speeds ever.

I cannot imagine how your folks car has been running these speeds for this long without proper front aero treatment.

Venting the C5 engine bay is like C5 Aero 101 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9GteqzHcU

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g3s3Plf8xjpY1ojXC5kz0MLx9DJO8doJApRCbmpGwjfIysJPP4MuaxGEScfBj0SJ