1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/2/16 9:49 p.m.

My buddy needed a car on Monday (Halloween).

I pick him up downtown, but the dealer closes in 45 minutes.

He sees an 03 Yukon XL Denali.

He wants it.

Book value is $6k but it's listed at $4300 including admin fee.

Last day of the month means the dealer was able to knock off the admin fee within 5 minutes.

He doesn't have cash or a checkbook.

We find out the dealer takes credit.

We sign the papers, he pays by black card, and we and rush over to get temp insurance.

They close in 15 minutes and need two pieces of photo ID.

My buddy has one.

He then remembers he has a photo of his passport buried in his email.

He finds it in 7 minutes.

They accept it as valid.

He drives back to Penticton that night on temp insurance and will sort everything out next week.

So what car related stuff did you guys get done on Halloween?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/2/16 9:54 p.m.

Wait, he put a whole truck....on his credit card? On a 13 year old Denali?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/2/16 10:02 p.m.

Someone with a black card "needed" a car and bought a $4300 Tahoe? Hmm. Maybe there's a black card I don't know about. That's less than a weeks required spending for an Amex black. Daddy's card?

I tried to get my amp working more consistently in my gs430. I think there's bad solder joints. Flexing the board by pressing on the connectors firmly makes it cut in and out. I had hoped it was a wiring or connector problem.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/16 10:07 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I had a TV like that. A zip tie in the right place for the correct amount of flex worked perfectly.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
11/2/16 10:08 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Wait, he put a whole truck....on his credit card? On a 13 year old Denali?

More importantly the dealer at the CC fees. Bull E36 M3, no dealer with half a brain would do that.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/2/16 10:22 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Some kind of black visa travel card. Didn't ask questions.

Maybe see if a computer shop can re-solder the board, and how much?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/2/16 10:24 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
mndsm wrote: Wait, he put a whole truck....on his credit card? On a 13 year old Denali?
More importantly the dealer at the CC fees. Bull E36 M3, no dealer with half a brain would do that.

The Toyota dealer let my dad put $10k or so of the Matrix on his Mastercard, so I don't see why a legit used car lot (not BHPH) wouldn't.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/16 10:54 p.m.

I purchased a brand new 1987 560sel from the dealer on a credit card. My friend needed me to purchase it so his wife would not see the purchase. It was a present for her.

If I remember it was just under 90k out the door. I think the dealer let me use temp plates. There was a bit of weirdness with the title if I remember but my friends insurance agent sorted that out.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/2/16 11:15 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to dculberson: Some kind of black visa travel card. Didn't ask questions.

Marriott points here we come.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/2/16 11:21 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

My debit card is black, Pretty sure my bank would go "lol NOPE!" if I tried this stunt though.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/2/16 11:31 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to dculberson: Some kind of black visa travel card. Didn't ask questions.
Marriott points here we come.

Some type of flight points, IIRC. Maybe with the increased gas consumption over the Sienna, his next vacation will be free!

Crackers
Crackers Reader
11/2/16 11:58 p.m.

I have an uncle with one of those cards with a crazy high weekly spending requirement. He spends like 30k a month for business supplies. Occasionally he makes some ridiculous purchases with it just for reward points.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
11/3/16 12:02 a.m.

I've bought multiple cars via paypal before. Took payment directly from my card.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/16 12:13 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Flexing the board by pressing on the connectors firmly makes it cut in and out. I had hoped it was a wiring or connector problem.

My Nexus 5 is doing that :( Opened it up and reflowed the solder joints on the connector between the two main boards and it got better for a couple days, but now it's failing again. Time to find a new phone.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/3/16 6:39 a.m.

you know, at the most recent dealer I worked at someone came in and purchased a 2013 Bentley GTC for about 134,000$. he put it all on a "Black card". and paid an extra 2,000$ or so to cover the credit card charge for the dealer.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/3/16 6:56 a.m.

In reply to codrus:

Doesn't the Nexus 5 have wireless charging?

I don't know why more phones don't have this and more people don't use it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/16 7:04 a.m.

I bought a $37,000 Dodge Ram on a credit card once. It was a company card and my boss wanted the points. I was told to go pick it up and pay for it, and my boss handed me an Amex Card. Weird, but they didn't blink an eye.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/3/16 7:42 a.m.

I bought a Pontiac (used) on two separate cards. I maxed out the first one and put the balance on the second. The sales manager had agreed to a lower price when I told him I would be using credit to purchase. Pretty sure he thought that meant I'd be financing the deal.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
11/3/16 8:01 a.m.

At my previous job I had someone buy their newly constructed condo with an amex black card.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
11/3/16 8:29 a.m.

I bought the C55 AMG with my Amex, not that it was really that much at $3600. I didn't pay any CC fees, so I guess the dealer ate them. I have that Amex Blue Cash rewards card, so I try and use it for everything I can. I'm going to have to find a MasterCard that can match the rewards though, since Costco doesn't take Amex anymore.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/3/16 8:36 a.m.

When we bought SWMBO's Mazda3, the dealer allowed up to $3500 to be charged to a card with no fee so we did that just for the 1% cashback.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/3/16 8:37 a.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Might want to make that a visa with rewards; I don't think Costco takes master card either.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/16 8:46 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to codrus: Doesn't the Nexus 5 have wireless charging? I don't know why more phones don't have this and more people don't use it.

It does and I use it on mine but it sucks when you don't place it perfectly and wake up to a 50% charge.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/16 8:58 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to codrus: Doesn't the Nexus 5 have wireless charging? I don't know why more phones don't have this and more people don't use it.

It does, but it's actually not all that useful. As stampie says, positioning is critical, so it's not much less fiddly than just plugging it in. The wireless chargers are also fairly expensive.

Also, the actual broken solder joints on my phone aren't the charging wires, it's the microphone and display that are the issue. They cut in and out depending on where you put pressure on the case and flex the board.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
11/3/16 9:05 a.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to t25torx: Might want to make that a visa with rewards; I don't think Costco takes master card either.

Doh! You're correct, it was Costco Canada that switched to MC.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fTcPuzJ3jiccXPbkpXB77bh4iNpSytkWPsS0yY5SuZTuXnLnJwqjzyIdNNjZi5et