dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/23/21 3:00 p.m.

So now that I am reassembling the TR4A project, anybody have any good advice on how best to protect the paint while I am doing the reassembly work? I cover the car when not working on it, but besides being really careful, was wondering what advice you all have in the this regard? Was thinking perhaps using the blue painters tape or similar to protect the top of the fender when working over it, or just a traditional fender protector? Any recommendations much appreciated.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/23/21 3:05 p.m.

Didn't the Binky guys use some sort of clear adhesive plastic (like carpet protector stuff)? I am sure there is something like that out there that will stay attached and not damage the paint, while also being moldable and thin enough not to cause issues.

similar looking stuff:

glass protector film

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/23/21 3:17 p.m.

My method for duster and neon and truck and....

Pull the fenders and doors and other easily removed parts. Store out of the way for when you get to that part of reassembley. 

Protect all edges with painter's tape, sometimes the whole panel if its small.

Wax/ceramicoat the engine bay before anything is installed. 

Pad with movers blankets taped in place to prevent scratching and light dings. Then use fender covers.

Ive gone so far as to wrap silicone tape around tools to prevent chipping and scratches by slips. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 3:48 p.m.

I like that a lot. I think the tape to protect the edges, blankets and fender covers and doing the prep work in the engine bay before all the stuff gets installed is a great plan.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
8/23/21 4:01 p.m.

This is what we use. It is a lower tack version of "crash wrap"

Comes in a roll like this. 

Blue masking tape has left impressions in fresh paint that take a lot of cutting and buffing to remove. Also, the adhesive on blue masking tape is only low tack for something like 30 days according to the data sheets. I don't let anyone here leave it on any surface for more than two weeks. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 8:07 p.m.

Okay, I'll have to go find some of that!

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
8/23/21 10:21 p.m.
Trent said:

Comes in a roll like this. 

Blue masking tape has left impressions in fresh paint that take a lot of cutting and buffing to remove. Also, the adhesive on blue masking tape is only low tack for something like 30 days according to the data sheets. I don't let anyone here leave it on any surface for more than two weeks. 

Not certain about automotive paint, but the blue tape, after 2-3 days will also leave a really difficult to remove residue if used on lacquered woodwork in a home.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/23/21 10:57 p.m.

We've tried the cling film and it's left marks on paint.

We're back to moving blankets and being careful.

No matter what, there's going to be touch ups.

My moving blanket rubbed through a bit of paint on the edge of the trunk lip on the Cortina we're building. The paint was not done by the guy we like to use and the work was poor. The way the paint "mushed" off of the edge, I don't think it was catalysed fully.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/24/21 8:28 a.m.

I've used blue painter's tape to protect areas, but only for short periods (as in hours).  I only use the 3M tape as some other brands bond too much after a few hours.  This was mostly to protect fender and door edges when installing the panels, but sometimes to protect a specific area while swinging a wrench.  The tops of the front fenders need to be buffed out to remove swirl marks from me leaning over, but that occurred over such a long period of time that I'd hate to leave any material stuck there.

For transport back from the paint shop, the painter had taped some thin soft foam material around the panels.  I'm not sure what it was, but maybe you could drape something similar over exposed areas while working.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 8:32 a.m.

i may never need the info shared in this thread but i certainly appreciate the voices of experience we get on this forum.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/24/21 9:13 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i may never need the info shared in this thread but i certainly appreciate the voices of experience we get on this forum.

+10

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/21 10:01 a.m.

I've nothing to add to the great advice given so far but I want to say that I love the color on that TR.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3I2gSE1scVjSUtwOgbOFHoAnUIRb7Y0yYVsNTxvTtABpU3nkxDTAUeYbESlUZOqV