boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
1/20/18 8:54 a.m.

Actually found a tiny ad for it in a corner of the last issue of GRM. Called the company last night and it sounds like they might have a killer product on their hands. From what I can tell it's like a JGR Driven racing oil type of product but at a much lower price point.

Anyone hear heard of them or used them before? Can't find much info on them anywhere.

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
1/30/18 9:14 p.m.

Well, I couldn't find any info so I went out and bought some. Should be coming in a few days.

Not entirely sure how to test it other than to put it in a car, clock some hours, and look for wear / power loss. If you guys have any ideas on that front, I'm all ears.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/18 7:23 a.m.

Never heard of it either. Even the cheapest bargain-bin oil is unlikely to cause power loss or measurable wear in street driving, over the short term. In terms of testing it, your options are to either send it off for lab testing, or risk an engine in a practical test. Run it hard and long and see if you get sudden measurable wear or worse...this could be expensive.

Running racing oil on the street is also not a good idea. Racing oil is not meant to last long, it's meant to be changed after each event. This sacrifice of longevity is necessary for the inclusion of additives that handle high-pressure contact such as that caused by big cams, high compression ratios and high revs. You can't have an oil that's very good at both. Racing oil is strictly for race engines in race cars. For a mixed-duty car, you should run a high-end synthetic street oil.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

For me, Royal Purple fits the mixed street/track duty perfectly. And I get several free cases a year, since one of my best friends is a rather senior engineer at Calumet Specialty Products, the parent company. laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/18 12:22 p.m.

For me it's either Red Line, Amsoil, Motul, or Millers. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/18 12:23 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Never heard of it either. Even the cheapest bargain-bin oil is unlikely to cause power loss or measurable wear in street driving, over the short term. In terms of testing it, your options are to either send it off for lab testing, or risk an engine in a practical test. Run it hard and long and see if you get sudden measurable wear or worse...this could be expensive.

Running racing oil on the street is also not a good idea. Racing oil is not meant to last long, it's meant to be changed after each event. This sacrifice of longevity is necessary for the inclusion of additives that handle high-pressure contact such as that caused by big cams, high compression ratios and high revs. You can't have an oil that's very good at both. Racing oil is strictly for race engines in race cars. For a mixed-duty car, you should run a high-end synthetic street oil.

Meh, plenty of guys use Amsoil Dominator in street engines and even after 7000+ miles of mixed use (street and track) and E85, oil analysis shows they still have life left. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/31/18 12:41 p.m.

^^^ Yes and Miller's Oils last much longer than just one session---- they can last a season depending on circumstances.

There is a lot of misinformation concerning racing oils / high performance oils.  Hopefully we'll have a few experts chime in soon.    

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/1/18 8:50 a.m.

Ok guys---- I've heard back from Rick Lee, from PTH Racing Oil.   He would have posted yesterday, but our board requires a 24 hour waiting period, as you know.   Here's what Richard had to say:

Hello All

My name is Rick Lee and I'm the president of PTH Racing Oil. I hope I can answer any questions that you may have.  

Almost 6 years ago we set out to make a racing motor oil with one thing in mind developing the best product possible.  

We started  by looking at the best products on the market then one by one we started evaluating each company's products. 

We did viscosity index testing, cold cranking simulator tests, API gravity tests and probably the most important metals testing also known as anti-wear additive testing.

We tested not only racing oil's but high-performance conventional and synthetic passenger car motor oil.  To confirm what we were finding we sent many samples to outside independent laboratories.

The most common thing we discovered was most of the racing oils on the market today are not true racing products. 

To be a true racing oil you need without exception an oil that holds up to the high temperatures and stress of a high torque and horsepower motor.

Racing oil must be built with high-quality base stocks, iit must have a higher ratio and combination of key components not found in standard Additive Packages.

This includes friction modifier's, friction reducers, antioxidants, base number boosters, extreme pressure additives and Anti foaming agents and in some cases anti misting additives.

PTH racing oil uses a Group IV 100% synthetic PAO base stock. Our Base stock is arguably one of the best on the planet as it commands one of the highest premium prices in the market reflective of its performance characteristics . 

As a long time Oil industry insider and club racer myself  I desired to offer a better performing product at a better price....and we have done just that.

All PTH Racing Oil and technical specifications and lab results for metals testing can found at our website WWW.PTHOIl.com 

You can order PTH Racing Oil directly through Roger Kraus Racing at (800) 510-Race (7223)

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/1/18 9:04 a.m.

I would love to do a case study on this stuff for work. I was going to do an article on new GDI engines and common fuel dilution issues, but this could be more entertaining..... need to reach out here and see what I can do.

Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I would love to do a case study on this stuff for work. I was going to do an article on new GDI engines and common fuel dilution issues, but this could be more entertaining..... need to reach out here and see what I can do.

It would be VERY entertaining if you could get some track time on the company dime. For research, of course wink

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/1/18 1:32 p.m.

yeah, I could always wish! 

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
2/2/18 9:43 p.m.

I had a nice long conversation with Rick Lee. Nice guy. Total oil geek, in a very GRM sort of way. It turns out he's actually a SCCA racer himself and that he started the business after trying to blend an "unfair advantage" for himself and his friends.

Now that I have a case of the stuff sitting in my garage, I figured I'd do a little oil experiment with my ITS car and document the results. I put the first post on my personal blog just a few minutes ago:

https://studiovrm.net/post/pth-racing-oil-top-tier-racing-oil-on-a-grassroots-budget

If it causes the engine to explode, you guys will be the first to know. But if it turns out to actually be decent, maybe he'll get some free publicity out of it. Who knows, maybe this is the best thing that's happened to my car and wallet in a while.

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
2/23/18 8:26 p.m.

I just got the Virgin Oil Analysis for this stuff today. The anti-wear additive numbers are actually higher than what the manufacturer claims on their site. Which is kind of nuts because the zinc and phosphorus content was pretty high to start with. All of the other important specs are basically spot on with what they advertise. PTH Racing Oil might actually be the real deal.

Here's the actual report from Blackstone Labs. Don't mind the fact that I forgot to put "PTH" on the request and sent in some "5w30 Racing Oil."

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/24/18 6:21 a.m.

Wow that's pretty awesome! I usually just stick to liqui-moly

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/24/18 8:38 a.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

One of the things I like about this community is the information provided.  

While a great deal of it is the usual biased opinion, the magazine itself has done us all a great service in testing stuff.   Articles I read and save.  

Here’s a real chance!  Test oils,   this and every other product.  

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
6/22/18 10:54 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to boxedfox :

Here’s a real chance!  Test oils,   this and every other product.  

Well, it isn't quite the same quality as you'd get from GRM, but I went ahead and started my own little long-term test with this stuff. Here's the interim report so far:

https://studiovrm.net/post/interim-update-long-term-test-of-pth-racing-oil

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/18 8:47 a.m.

I followed the link for the oil review discussion, ended up reading nearly everything on the blog.

There's a lot of great stuff there! 

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/10/19 5:00 p.m.

So after running this stuff for a full season in my racecar, I had my engine guy tear down the motor and inspect the wear parts. In short, the engine internals look fantastic. Here are a few close-up photos.

Rockers and head

Rod bearings

Main bearings

Piston Skirts

Car on my engine builder's lift

Looks like this PTH Racing Oil is the real deal. I think this is going to be my go-to oil for all of our racecars.

Full report here:

https://www.studiovrm.net/post/how-did-pth-racing-oil-protect-our-race-engine

former520
former520 HalfDork
2/10/19 5:31 p.m.

I don't have anything to say about the oil, but I do have to say that green is an awesome color.  What is it from?

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/10/19 5:37 p.m.
former520 said:

I don't have anything to say about the oil, but I do have to say that green is an awesome color.  What is it from?

Haha thank you! It's actually one of Maaco's dark metallic greens. I forget the exact color code but it's one of the ones that they have in both single stage and multi-stage forms.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/10/19 6:44 p.m.

I know that car.....

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/10/19 7:23 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

It's changed quite a bit since the last time you probably saw it. It'll seem totally different when it shows up in the spring sporting a taller final drive, 12:1 compression, and bright yellow 17" wheels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zCnygJvM9EY85sqnrktgqVhOcsQ9lnmLxgUnlThtpBi4s9Xz92OmkqTgNqX8QJyU