RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
5/13/15 7:51 p.m.

My Evo X uses a ton of these annoying plastic push-pin clips. I've broken a few so far removing them with a screwdriver, but since they are used all over the damn car and for some important stuff (like, holding the front bumper cover on), I'd rather use the right tool so I'm not breaking them constantly and having to Mickey Mouse things together. I'm sure there's a specialized tool out there for these clips. Anyone have a brand and/or part number?

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/13/15 8:01 p.m.

Yep, get a few different kinds. Or a full kit like this:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/UP4SET/4-piece-upholstery-tool-set/

FWIW Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda, and some Toyota fasteners are the worst to remove without breaking. Mostly the ones underneath where sand/grit causes them to not want to release.

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/UP4SET/4-piece-upholstery-tool-set/oyota fasteners are the worst for trying to remove without breaking. Take a few to a local Carquest or Napa that has a big assortment of push pin fasteners, and find something normally from a GM/Ford which have several kinds that are easier to pry up and reuse without destruction to replace the ones you break when it does happen.

One other trick is to spray them down with some spray silicone to force between the two fastener halves to try and help in removal before breaking them.

Edit: Nissan fasteners also suck.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/13/15 8:03 p.m.

The Japanese are terrible for those sorts of clips. Hateful things with a bit of sand in them. Bad enough clean, impossible dirty. Break them off and buy new ones at $3.00 each...not.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
5/13/15 8:12 p.m.

The pry tools listed above will only break the brittle ones. Covers all bases. FWIW Gearwrench and Matco have the same corporate parent and the tools are near identical.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
5/13/15 8:20 p.m.
flatlander937 wrote: FWIW Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda, and some Toyota fasteners are the worst to remove without breaking. Mostly the ones underneath where sand/grit causes them to not want to release.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The Japanese are terrible for those sorts of clips. Hateful things with a bit of sand in them. Bad enough clean, impossible dirty.

No kidding. Mitsu uses these clips to hold parts of the undertray and the upper cooling panel to the front bumper. I broke or damaged a few undertray clips that were filled with dirt when removing the front bumper to take out the fog lights. Many Evo X mods require removing the front bumper cover, so it's something I'm going to have to deal with a lot.

I'd rather deal with the clips than what the PO or his mechanic replaced three of the clips with. They used some big-ass #4 Philips head screws and 14mm nuts to fasten the upper cooling panel, and the corner of the front bumper panel to the right wheel well. They rusted together, and made an annoying little problem a bigger one. There's not a lot of space to swing a 14mm wrench and screwdriver in an Evo...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/13/15 8:37 p.m.

I'd be inclined to find some close enough clips available in bulk, cheap, and not be too careful pulling them out.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/15 9:03 p.m.

What j_d said. I have some and they are awesome.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/15 10:35 p.m.

All over BMW's as well

stan_d
stan_d Dork
5/14/15 7:49 a.m.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-pin-pliers-67400.html

These work quite well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4YtCJWwgu2pKoaaJMt35DyTyECaVp91xmbcwQEa5poIzM5i4AXzNfxlW2fbTlss