mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/10/18 9:49 p.m.

The ignition switch in my 1990 Miata has been acting up lately, so I pulled the connector off of it and noticed that there must have been a short, since the connector is melted. I need to find a wrecked Miata that I can cut this connector from, plus a few inches of wire, to repair it. Would you happen to know up to what year Miata uses the same ignition wiring harness? Here is a picture of my damaged connector:

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 5:20 a.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

I have a 91 parts car. I’ll need to pull the tarp off it to check the connector & it’s supposed to rain all week, so I can’t promise how soon I can check, but if it’s the same as yours you’re welcome to it for the cost of postage. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 8:14 a.m.

I think all NAs share that connector. Pete's 1991 definitely has the same one.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/11/18 8:32 a.m.

Looks identical to my 1992.

Keith Tanner
6/11/18 8:45 a.m.

All the 1.6 cars are basically identical from a wiring standpoint. The 1.8 NAs have a lot in common.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/11/18 10:11 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I have a 91 parts car. I’ll need to pull the tarp off it to check the connector & it’s supposed to rain all week, so I can’t promise how soon I can check, but if it’s the same as yours you’re welcome to it for the cost of postage. 

Awesome, thanks Pete! Just to make things more confusing, I have a Canadian model Miata, and I've read that the ignition switch wiring may be different between the Canadian and US models, and that the Canadian ignition switch wiring allows too much current to pass through the switch, which causes this problem. Keith, can you comment if this is true?

Keith Tanner
6/11/18 11:12 a.m.

First I've heard of it. The non-airbag cars don't use a headlight relay, but I'd have to look at the diagrams to see if that means increased load through the ignition switch. It very likely does. It's the reason the combo switches feel so much better than the airbagged versions, they have big beefy contacts in them laugh

More likely, it's a matter of some corrosion on 28-year-old contacts that leads to increased resistance and thus heat.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/18 2:54 p.m.

Here it is, I believe this the the same as yours?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
6/13/18 3:12 p.m.

Treasure Coast Miata is the place to go for that part, btw. They have a program where they'll cut literally any part of a Miata off and send it to you, no matter how small.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZl5ws8lFXmf50rKIRUVhjQtY3ipou9nlOTI3446MWtwTJtSzKwV1KZOwE6KXHQL