Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/22 12:01 p.m.

I have a set of externally adjustable Koni shocks on my '97 BMW M3. The previous owner bought/installed (no lifetime warranty) them and bought them from TCKline, they are custom valved for them by Koni.

I can buy new replacements from TCKline with their valving for $978 .. or not adjustables off the shelf for $597. Bilstein B8s would be $746.

I called to get a quote on having mine's rebuilt and the price is $250/shock ... I guess no point there. So my question is:

- How difficult is it to rebuild this yourself?
- How do you deal with the gas? do you ignore that part?
- Can you get all the seals and from where?
- I have rebuilt the front shocks on my motorcycle, is it a similar process?
- Do I just buy new ones and forget about all this rebuild non-sense?

Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 12:27 p.m.

I'd hit up Lee Grimes at Koni and ask him. He's one of us. You can probably get parts from Koni. https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Accessories/Parts/ 

Why do you think they need rebuilding? Leaking? 

Slippery
11/23/22 2:21 p.m.

Thanks for the contact! I am going to reach out and see what he suggests. 

I have not looked for leaks yet, but they don't dampen anymore. The car just wallows and feels too floaty when it used to be quite composed at speed. They probably only have 20k miles on them but I have owned the car for 10 years, so they are probably 12 or so years old.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/23/22 2:30 p.m.

Doesn't True Choice still rebuild koni's?

Slippery
11/23/22 2:38 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Not sure. 

I called Performance Shock, in a few words they told me that if they were available new, to just buy new ones. 

Slippery
11/23/22 2:39 p.m.

What shocks did you run on your e36 Doc??

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/23/22 9:20 p.m.

When you say externally adjustable, do you mean standard Koni sports with the adjuster in the rod, or are they double adjustable with the second adjuster on the shock body? Singles are pretty easy to rebuild but you would need access to Koni specific parts and some custom tools and you'll lose the gas charge. I have no idea how difficult it is to disassemble the double adjustables.

Slippery
11/23/22 10:09 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

They are single rebound adjustable. No need to remove, they are externally adjustable unlike other Konis I had before. 

Slippery
11/23/22 10:17 p.m.

These are the shocks:

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/23/22 10:28 p.m.

So then they shouldn't be all that difficult to rebuild, assuming you can get all the internal parts you need (and I think the adjuster rod is single use unless you get extra creative) and are willing to make or buy some custom tools. And you'll lose the gas pressure, which depending on application is somewhere between a minor annoyance and a deal breaker.

But for the record, I work for a damper manufacturer and I've never really considered rebuilding any of my konis myself.

Slippery
11/23/22 10:44 p.m.
dps214 said:

<snip>
But for the record, I work for a damper manufacturer and I've never really considered rebuilding any of my konis myself.

I think this tells me everything I need to know lol. Looks like I am ordering new ones. 

I will definitely take these apart and experiment though ... 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
11/24/22 1:44 a.m.

Unless things have changed recently Koni isn't keen on people rebuilding their shocks themselves. I used to be able to walk into to Truechoice and get stuff done but I've heard those days are over.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/24/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

The first one had Koni's.  Second one came with Koni's but the rear shocks were dead.  Interestingly, it drove fine and I didn't figure out they were dead until I pulled them out to replace them with MCS 2 way's.  Which are the bomb diggity btw, just a ton of money.  I was lucky and found them lightly used locally for 1/2 price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eCUMisqg0iFHvy0ibPcf9Gwv3UXI115LOBGT0ViRh4WQAN0HoDyTdO6eK5xTh10K