Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 2:42 p.m.

My 1973 wheel horse 16 automatic had the bulk of the harness chewed by mice and the ignition switch rusted and fell apart.

i rewired it to have a toggle for the ignition and a push button for the starter.  The only thing that wasn't accounted for with the way i wired it is the wire from the rectifier to the ignition switch for charging.  Right now it's capped because i needed to use it, so i ran off battery only. Here's a diagram I found on the wheel horse forum

can i hook B+ from the rectifier directly to battery?  If not where do i send it so i have charging ability again?  I used stuff i had laying around, and i may have chopped up several mice in the engine before leaning against it and cheese grating my knee, but it's running great.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 2:48 p.m.

I think you can, but I'd check that the voltage at b+ is 13-14ish while running. 

Also if probably put in a switch so the regulator can't discharge the battery when not running.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 2:49 p.m.

I may also put that 30 amp fuse back in between the b+ and the battery.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/17/20 10:59 p.m.

You could totally wire that straight to your battery. The only difference in having it on the ignition switch is it would keep your battery from draining if the rectifier leaked, which may never happen anyway. 

zordak
zordak Reader
3/18/20 10:04 a.m.

Just do not hook it up to the ignition wire, the engine will not shut off.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/20 4:07 p.m.

Thanks guys.  I thought so but didn't want to burn something up.  It blew up a front tire and tube but i kept using it.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qhxtJityVadCJf0BIHaMvVYtblmA9dvnVl1SX4M1Eg12ULw4MGcjKAVYFp6Vvya2