Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/26/22 8:00 a.m.

Not for highway use. It’s a common disclaimer found printed on the sidewalls of many tires intended for the track. And that’s despite carrying a U.S. Department of Transportation approval for street use. 

How is this possible? In short, these are full racing slicks at heart, with just enough street characteristics built back in to meet the DOT’s regs. 

That …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 169 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
9/26/22 11:14 a.m.

Thanks for another great tire test Andy! The A055 seems very appealing for me, running an E30 in TT5 on 15x8" wheels with history on R7s. It's a scalpel over hammer sort of car. The Yokohamas could be a way around the Hoosier tax while also fitting the 226mm gauge. Do y'all have any indication when more 15" sizes might ship? 225/45 specifically.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/26/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Thank you for that information.  I'd like to use the Goodyears simply because that's what Group 44 originally used on their Jaguar V12 XJS 
How durable do you believe these tires to be?  Can they last a weekend or two of Vintage racing, or hopefully a season of a few race weekends?  

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/26/22 12:14 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

In my experience with the Goodyears, they have about two "magic" het cycles in them. Then they fall off a bit but remain grippy and consistent for another 8-10. Then they start their crawl toward death.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/26/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Well that should work.  Use a set of scabby old dead un's  to get the basic wheels pointed in the right direction  then mount the new tires for the race. 

jbrauer11
jbrauer11 New Reader
9/26/22 1:20 p.m.

Still waiting for GRM to acknowledge the existence of the Hankook Z214.

https://hankookmotorsports.com/products/hankook-z214-tires?variant=37854010474663

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
9/26/22 1:24 p.m.

You make no mention of the last line in the chart, which is the Yoko A052?  Was that included just for reference from another tire test?

BDG
BDG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/26/22 4:19 p.m.

In reply to jbrauer11 :

They definitely tested the Z214 against its competitors. Looked like it was pretty damn close to the Hoosier.

Unfortunately, that was in 2005 and the Hoosier was an A3S05. So uh... yeah.

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/26/22 5:46 p.m.

In reply to deaconblue :

Keep scrolling down below the comments 

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/26/22 5:46 p.m.

In reply to deaconblue :

Keep scrolling down below the comments 

MorpheusVxA
MorpheusVxA
9/26/22 6:00 p.m.

What about Toyo RR's??

redtanrt10
redtanrt10 New Reader
9/26/22 6:21 p.m.

Thanks, interesting article.  I'm been curious why you chose R-7's vs. A-7's?

Also, thanks for the info on the Goodyear's.  I looked them up when you got them on your 'vette and was thinking maybe a decent alternative to the Hoosier's for my Viper as they make them in '18 sizes that fit.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to jbrauer11 :

One of the issues with the Z214, quite frankly, is it's distribution channel and their nearly non existent trackside support. Hankook would be well served to cut ties and get with Phil's, Jackson Motorsports group, Frisby or another outlet as soon as possible. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/26/22 7:22 p.m.
MorpheusVxA said:

What about Toyo RR's??

That was two months ago...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/endurance-100-tire-test/

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/26/22 7:26 p.m.
redtanrt10 said:

Thanks, interesting article.  I'm been curious why you chose R-7's vs. A-7's?

Also, thanks for the info on the Goodyear's.  I looked them up when you got them on your 'vette and was thinking maybe a decent alternative to the Hoosier's for my Viper as they make them in '18 sizes that fit.

We chose the R7 because Yokahama told us that was their target.  They are the same type of tire, with consistency over a full session/race.  Same with the Goodyear.  In a road course environment, the A7 cannot provide maximum performance for more than a few laps.  You have to manage the tires or accept a performance drop-off.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
9/26/22 8:05 p.m.

In reply to jbrauer11 :

I was wondering the same thing. In their advertisement on the link provided they admit not as fast as Hoosier's but are less expensive. I used to use these until they seemingly disappeared from the market and only recently found that link provided. Do agree with the comments that if they had a better marketing and distribution for the Z214 they would profit more.

redtanrt10
redtanrt10 New Reader
9/27/22 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Thanks, yes the A's start great then fall off.  Lot's of the TT guys run then for that reason.  I get your reasoning for the test, thanks!

AhmadLutfy
AhmadLutfy GRM+ Member
9/28/22 12:17 p.m.

Unfortunately there is no guidance on either the Goodyear nor the newer Yokohama as being legal in NASA ST/TT5 trim at least. But this is good to know R7 is still king of the hill for sheer laptimes. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 1:41 p.m.
AhmadLutfy said:

Unfortunately there is no guidance on either the Goodyear nor the newer Yokohama as being legal in NASA ST/TT5 trim at least. 

Are you worried about them being considered "autocross" compounds?  The results above would tend to suggest that they're not, and other than that isn't it just DOT-and-fits-the-template?

AhmadLutfy
AhmadLutfy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/3/22 10:04 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

It is not my decision. We are still waiting on guidance regarding these new Yokos (for under 100TW class) and even the Re71RS (newer 2022 compound for the 100TW class). The Goodyears are considered Autox compounds and we cannot run them in our ST/TT5 class. That said, only R7 in the under 100TW class for now. 

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
10/18/22 10:56 a.m.

Anyone have experience with how many good heat cycles the Hoosier R7, Yok A055, and Toyo RR have before they fall off?

I raced for years on spec 100TW Toyo's that really didn't fall off at all for 20+ heat cycles. I switched to a new class that allows any DOT tire and Hoosier's seem to start falling off after 6-8 heat cycles and are way off pace by 12-15. Do the Yok's or Toyo RR's fare any better?

tcoppola
tcoppola GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/7/22 3:51 p.m.

a capable tire we used on our recently retired C5 Corvette track car project.

When did the C5 become retired??

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/7/22 4:05 p.m.
tcoppola said:

a capable tire we used on our recently retired C5 Corvette track car project.

When did the C5 become retired??

Well, technically it only became retired from us. The new owner is going to be using it on track and on the autoX course next year. Sadly, project cars are like TV series. They fulfill their narrative arc then we have to move on to telling other stories. And it's always better to go out like Breaking Bad than like The Simpsons.

tcoppola
tcoppola GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Nice! I've taken a lot of inspiration from that car and you all at GRM! Did the car outgrow the AFD FlexFuel kit or was it still running it, in it's later iterations? That flex fuel kit has been the best bang-for-the-buck modification I've done!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gh521oslqC6KUl178I5WlcDCcwPBooklNjIwTNEU6ETiLEWqjwBudM022Ligj3Jn