AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/22 11:04 p.m.

I'm putting together an NA Miata and it started from a shell so I have parts from all over the place. Any Miata specific or general tips for radiator mounting appreciated. 

Right now I have an NA radiator hanging on bolts into the factory upper mount. I am missing the rubber isolator though.

The factory lower mount I have doesn't seem to line up right, and the radiator was missing whatever bolt went across the side of the radiator to set in the lower mount so I have a bolt running through with some rubber hose to insulate it a bit, but that doesn't leave room for it to set into the lower hooks. 

So, any advice? How important is it to have the radiator mounted through rubber?

Angle iron and some self tappers?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 12:18 a.m.

I can think of two things: one, they probably grow/shrink with temperature changes, and hard mounting will lead to cracks. They change temperature by design :). Two, aluminum is not a big fan of vibration over the long term. 

If you just need the side brackets, I'd hit up a salvage yard or two. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/22/22 1:16 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have a pair of the side brackets, they just don't line up correctly. 

I did just think of a possible workaround though. I'll have to mess with it tomorrow. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/22/22 7:16 a.m.

Did somebody bend your side brackets out of the way to install a larger radiator?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/22/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

The hooks that the radiator is supposed to drop into are bent outward a bit. Why? Who's to say. They should bend back in fine, but they're too far to the rear.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/22/22 10:01 a.m.

Keith covered the reasons why it's important that the radiator be rubber mounted.  The reason the lower body mounts seem to be in the wrong location is that the rubber bushing in the side mount is supposed to be behind the radiator.

Picture 1 of 4

11/22/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Ahhhhhh, perfect picture. Thank you!!!

I can make something similar to that. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 11:30 a.m.

Those are the brackets I was referring to. Some aftermarket radiators incorporate them into the radiator itself, but the factory made it a bolt-on part.

11/22/22 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ah, I see. Should have some time later to DIY it. 

Thanks for all the input! You guys rock!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x6ilxPTVzDnMRu0jesuVwqGoTlY4HfPNe2415p7vzA9Ol62365faamXr2tQAGkKr