NBS2005
NBS2005 Dork
7/5/08 11:16 p.m.

Hi all. A buddy of mine and I are having a friendly discussion about rally X tires. He's a auto X guy and is all into figuring out what tire is best by pouring over the specs and picking what he thinks will work best. He's doing the same for dirt. I on the other hand feel that on a constantly changing surface, tire choice doesn't make a big difference (this is for the stock classes, no rally tires or snows).

The stock size for the car (neon) is 185/65/14. I was thinking go with a 185/60/14 to get a fractional amount of gearing improvement. I was looking at BFG T/A and Yoko Avid H4s. Good basic all season tires. Anyone have any feedback on any of this? If you rally X what tires are you using in stock class?

Thanks, J

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/6/08 12:34 a.m.

Hm... I don't have too much to contribute here as far as rallyx experience (I assume any tire that holds air would be fun), but if you're looking at 185/60/14 (stock accent gt size) I know Michelin has a Pilot Exalto A/S in that size. I only point this out because Michelin doesn't really advertise them. The only place I could find them was Tire Rack where they were hands down the highest rated of the class. I bought some 2 years ago and I really liked them, but I don't have much to compare them to. Definately not that cheap though.

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
7/6/08 12:47 a.m.

there are snow tires that fit in Stock Classes. there are a few guys that run VERY quickly on Hakkapeliitas, but they are VERY expensive.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/6/08 6:31 p.m.

A lot of the small car dirt racers around here use a Cooper tire. Not sure which one.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/6/08 10:14 p.m.

I use whatever tires came on the piece of crap I'm driving.

If I was buying tires for the stock class, I'd get the winterforce tires from tirerack. For any other class, get real rally tires.

NBS2005
NBS2005 Dork
7/7/08 11:09 a.m.

Thanks for the comments so far. The car needs a new set of tires, if it didn't I wouldn't be buying tires for rally X, I'd use what was on there.

Anyone have any feedback on Hankook Optimo H418s? Those are really cheap at DTD, have a tread pattern that looks a lot like the BFG TA, and I've read comments that it is really good in snow. If all that is true , it sounds like a great all around tire.

If I find I like rallyX, I'll be in the market for two rally tires and wheels for the front (all the better to rotate the rear).

Thanks, J

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5C3hP6wkT2P10t13LeCgJBMmWkuCuWY3axegE0jls5IfGlEo1EWgbu9xGcYYyhRW