vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/21 4:27 p.m.

Here's a good one. Now that we decided to trade the van (2017 Ram Promaster 1500, gas engine) on a used BMW i3 the guage cluster (I assume) is acting up. Started with the seat belt light and SRS light staying on intermittently, sometimes shutting off during a drive. No real reason why. Checked the harness under the seats for damage or issues, but nothing would change the situation. Whether on or off at the time. The one time I went to a shop the lights were out when I got there and they could not pull any codes from the BCM or SRS computers. Then while driving to a friend's house today most of the warning lights came on, the speedo, tach, fuel, and coolant gauges stopped working, the directional indicator lights would not illuminate even though the directionals we're blinking, and the outside temp and range computer stopped working. We checked the connections at the IP and the battery. Cleaned the ground at the battery to body. Checked the fuse panels too. Nothing. Not so much as a loose cable or connector. No signs of an critters either. I left his house and went to Moe's for a burrito. I got back into the van and all is working correctly except the SRS light is still on. Vroom is supposed to pick this thing up in about a week and deliver the i3. Dealer time?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/16/21 4:46 p.m.

You checked battery wires but what about general health of battery and alternator? 

With a volt meter, Is the battery at better than 12v when off? 

Better that 13v when running? 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/17/21 12:30 a.m.

We used to convert ProMaster 3500 vans to all electric and the 3500 isn't too different from the 1500.  The BCM is a common problem but simple things like the external temp sensor in the driver's side mirror can cause weird problems too.  We also had to swap out a few gauge clusters.  With Dodge's system I would recommend taking it to a dealer instead of an independent shop, you'll need them anyway if you change a BCM as it requires programming to talk to the rest of the car.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/17/21 6:24 a.m.

By chance did the wipers come on on their own without the switch on? This would be indicative of a canbus failure on a Mopar.

10/17/21 9:37 a.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

I kind of feel this is where I'm heading.

10/17/21 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

No. Nothing that weird. Odd that the directionals worked but did not show via the dash lights.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

How odd that is seems like a question of what data needs to go where. Is it one CAN connection to the whole dash? Then I can imagine (though I certainly don't know) that the stalk could tell the BCM to run the signals, but the message about that happening just didn't make it to the dash?

10/17/21 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Yes, I would say odd.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cju8KlCTZDlWHE3UBD6e08dII8wUHPMZibZaKscNzAxfpgbdEqQAyfH7Wj5qlXDa