1 2 3 4
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/9/16 10:56 p.m.

Looks like I'm putting my garage/shop build for a little while - if my new job (which I rather like) works out in the longer term, it'll probably be on the cards again next year. Dumping a fair amount of money into a hole in the group six months into a new job when there really isn't anything else around doesn't strike me as too smart.

Anyway, unless I tear down a dividing wall in our three car garage, I don't have enough space for a MaxJax, and even without the wall it's tight. what I definitely do have space for is a QuickJack.

I know we have a few owners on the forum (including a couple of not very happy ones), would anybody like to chime in?

The 3500lb lift might be a bit marginal for my requirements (the RX8 is allegedly close to 3100lbs, the 996 approx 3300, my wife's 500SL comes in at 4200 so that's out), however it appears that the 5000lbs unit is only a few hundred bucks more and supposedly the same length. That's kinda important as it would only make sense if it fit under the ND Miata also.

Anybody used the 5000lbs version with a Miata?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/16 12:18 a.m.

The original 5000 has been discontinued. The new 5000 SLX is longer, if it fits under a Miata it'll be tight. The 5000SLX collapsed length is now 72.5", the old 5000 was 69", the 3500 is 61", the 3500SLX is 62". ND wheelbase is 90.9", but that's to the center of the wheels of course.

BTW, the original 3500 is on closeout and will be replaced with a 3500SLX. The closeout prices are good - $895 shipped.

Lift manufacturers tend to do their math on the conservative side, so I'd happily lift a 3300 lb car on a 3500. I would not lift a 4200 lb car on one.

I've got access to the largest user base, probably, and history has shown that said user base is not shy about contacting me with complaints . The vast majority are quite happy. The biggest problems always occur at the time of delivery, usually with some shipping damage. Most of it is cosmetic, the second most common is busted wheels which don't affect the actual function. Ranger is always quick to deal with it and send out wheels or even retrieve badly damaged units. They are a little puzzled by requests for touch-up paint, given that they're an industrial equipment supply company They have also told us that they're VERY happy we're the ones dealing with the notoriously picky Miata owners.

Personally, I've got one of my own that sees regular use at track days. My car goes up in the air between every session, and the QJ has been a rock running off a PC680 battery. I'll often use the one at work instead of the "big lifts" because of the ease of getting it under a low car. It also got used during our Fox R&D test sessions when we had three cars cycling between track time and suspension swaps.

BoxheadTim
3/10/16 10:30 a.m.

Thanks Keith. Looks like I better measure the distance between the jacking points on the RX8 and 996 to figure out which of the lifts would be the best fit.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
3/10/16 10:45 a.m.

Do these things need perfectly level flat ground? Could you use them in a gravel lot, or some place you might find a rally service area? How stable are they? Compared to throwing your car on 4 jack stands?

RedGT
RedGT Reader
3/10/16 11:03 a.m.

I consider it as stable as 4 jack stands.

Depends how loose the gravel is, as you know that can vary greatly. My driveway is pretty much just one layer of gravel, i.e. depth of the stone, atop hard dirt. I'd consider using it there. I'd be totally OK on bare dry earth. I would not use it in deep/easily shifting gravel. I also regularly use it on a cracked, uneven garage floor with random steel/wood under the feet that don't touch the floor. It has been fine.

JFC, touch up paint? Even if you must keep it pristine, the thing is painted black. Go buy a spray can. Did Miata owners turn into Porsche owners?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/16 11:13 a.m.

Keith, what is the difference between the new SLX models and the old one?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/10/16 11:38 a.m.

I've had my 3500 model for 2 years now and it has been great. I use it at the track for lemons races where it is wonderful to have, and at home for general maintenance and repairs and it works great there too. Think of it not as a lift, but as a much faster alternative to a jack and stands and your expectations will be appropriate.

Keith Tanner
3/10/16 11:52 a.m.

More stable than jack stands, in my experience. Bigger footprint.

And here's how you'd have to extend your stands to match the 3500 at full lift. That's not a stable position on the jack stand, but the QJ is solid:

If you wanted to use them on gravel, you could probably weld a plate on the base.

SLX model differences:
- new 7000 lb model available
- stronger upper rails on the 5000
- "dual position safety locks", which sound to me exactly like the safety locks on the previous models
- wider rubber block positioning, which is probably the reason for the longer overall length. Looking at the picture above, the forward block is moved closer to the wheels.

Fast, tall and stable jack stands is a good way to look at it. I'm happier working under a car on a QJ than I am under jack stands.

Miata owners think of themselves as Porsche owners, but want Honda prices. Welcome to my world

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/16 12:30 p.m.

Hm, interesting. This might be a nice compromise item, though I continually think about altering my garage roof structure so that I could fit a lift in there.

That comparison with the jack stand is nice Keith, really makes it look appealing if it can get that high up.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
3/10/16 12:59 p.m.

For me, I'm looking for our cars at work. We use pin stands, and the pins are at 21". That puts the pinch weld down around 20". So that gets a slight improvement in height. I'm not putting pin receivers in my personal race car. This could be the ticket for me personally, but can see how a set or two could be helpful at work. I'm thinking we can use a set at our setup patch as well.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
3/11/16 5:08 a.m.

The new 7000 version just caught my eye

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
3/11/16 7:51 a.m.

Are either the AC or DC versions faster than the other?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
3/11/16 11:19 a.m.

Initially I had some issues with my original BL-5000, but overall, once everything was sorted out and working, it has been great - would never go back to jack and stands! If you have a tight garage with no room for a post lift on the sides this is a great solution. Its quick, stable, and provides plenty of access under the vehicle for drivetrain and exhaust work unlike a scissor lift.

sachilles, the DC unit would be the quicker one according to Rangers specs, nearly twice as fast going up.

Main reason I picked it up was for routine maintenance on the FR-S...

I just wish it were longer for better support, and now they finally come out with a longer updated version....LOL

Keith Tanner
3/11/16 11:22 a.m.

We've got both here, and while I've never had a race between them the 12v certainly seems quicker. The specs would certainly back that up, the pump is rated at higher flow.

Given the choice, I'd go 12v anyway. You can always hook it up to a loose battery or the car, but you don't always have access to 120v. Since mine goes to the track so often, 12v is the only option that works.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
3/11/16 11:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Miata owners think of themselves as Porsche owners, but want Honda prices. Welcome to my world

I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Corolla owners yet........

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/16 1:04 p.m.

From watching videos, the DC versions are about twice as fast as the AC ones. This is likely because lead-acid batteries will supply a lot more current than a 110 AC socket. Note that the DC ones get slower as the battery charge drops. :)

Slippery
3/15/16 9:22 a.m.

Just ordered a BL-5000SLX, the DC version.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/15/16 10:42 a.m.

was just looking at a house with a reinforced garage floor and high ceilings...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/15/16 10:50 a.m.

Any idea on availability of blems or used ubits? I want one, but only have a 500 budget. Been striking out on scissors lifts.

car39
car39 HalfDork
3/15/16 11:10 a.m.

I like it. It's not a Rotary 2 post, but it allows you to get under the car, and feels safer than jack stands.

Slippery
3/25/16 11:00 p.m.

Yesterday I got home and there it was waiting for me, all three boxes of it:

First impression, it is HEAVY ... I call BS on this:

No way you can carry both of them like that. I have not put them on the scale, but they are probably close to 100 lbs each ramp.

The packaging left a lot to be desired, a couple of expanding foam filled inserts in each box and that's it. One plastic cap cover broken, a missing bolt and nut and some paint gone in one side. I don't care ... none of that will keep it from working, but it could have been avoided. I am pretty sure these things are made and packed in Asia, they probably don't even open them in California. They smell like Harbor Freight.

The instructions were OK, the pictures sucked as they were in not in color and you could not see much. They also had pictures of an older unit and all the ports were in different places than mine, but if you are buying this you probably don't need instructions. Its pretty intuitive.

It did not leak not even a drop of oil. Not even after using it a few times and then disconnecting the hoses. This was my main concern. Overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Biggest gripe is that it does not come with alligator clips. I used some jumper cables I had, but the wires you connect to are just hanging there and the chances of them touching each other are high if you are not careful. They are also both black. Not a huge deal, but I would have paid a few more bucks to have it ready to use. I will take care of that, not a huge deal. Also the weight ... this might be due to me getting the 5000 instead of the 3500.

I say if you are not sure whether to get it or not and you have low ceilings, go for it ... it is worth it.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/16 12:14 a.m.

Even with the 3500 (and the old 3500 that I have, which is lighter) the ramps are heavy enough that you're not going to just casually grab one in each hand like that. That guy must have some serious hidden biceps underneath that work shirt. :)

What I did for power is to get a couple of those hermaphroditic UPS battery connectors and a pair of jumper cables. Cut the clamps off one end of the jumper cables and put the connector on instead, put the other connector on 18 inches of wire that's screwed into the terminals on the QuickJack power unit. Then I can clamp the jumper cables onto any battery and plug it into the QJ.

This is the connector type I mean, mcmaster sells them:

Keith Tanner
3/26/16 1:15 a.m.

I can carry the 3500s like that - but they've got wheels on the end for a reason!

I can see some detail changes in things like the pump, and the packaging in those pictures is actually better than it used to be. There's been some evolution.

One trick to minimizing the chance of any spillage is to make sure the lines are fully depressurized before you disconnect. Hold the DOWN button for an extra second after the lift is collapsed to make sure it's not almost-but-not-quite collapsed.

BoxheadTim
3/26/16 12:49 p.m.

Thanks again for all the feedback. After mucking about with jacks and jack stands under the RX8 I've decided that I'm getting too old for this sort of E36 M3 and am probably going to order one this weekend.

Slippery
3/26/16 1:03 p.m.
codrus wrote: What I did for power is to get a couple of those hermaphroditic UPS battery connectors and a pair of jumper cables. Cut the clamps off one end of the jumper cables and put the connector on instead, put the other connector on 18 inches of wire that's screwed into the terminals on the QuickJack power unit. Then I can clamp the jumper cables onto any battery and plug it into the QJ. This is the connector type I mean, mcmaster sells them:

Thats a great idea! I order them today. I actually have that type connector on a forklift, you can't plug them in the wrong way. Thanks!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QhjwxmyJFD6AVYbQzS4gS2RypPcb9cPc4L7i9Ar28VerIXDHnqESWFKqdvE2fPh9