1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/19/20 5:46 p.m.

If Porsche built them , they would sell at 1-2 million bucks ,  if they only made 100-200 they would sell out in a day , 

there are lots of rich collectors....

but that would be a pity to not use them on the street or track , and in 10 years they would be for sale with 1000 miles or less on them.....

I saw the laps at Rennsport and was amazed now fast it went , and they never gave a lap time......but yes 190mph .....WOW

350z247
350z247 New Reader
11/19/20 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

There's really no point in further arguing about a car no one in this chat could ever afford. It was a dominant car, but I expect nothing less from a factory Porsche race program.

As for the racing, I slightly prefer the V10s to the V8s, but I acknowledge they were stupid expensive. The 2010 season has to be one of the greatest F1 seasons ever; four drivers in the final race with the potential to be a world champion. In contrast to the last 7 seasons being the Mercedes show (hopefully the budget cap will fix that). I'd rather see the minimum of regulations and a budget cap. Let their minds wander. Force them to carry extra fuel and give them tires that last; tire and fuel management is frustrating for the drivers and the fans. Let them push power and balance reliability like the jet powered Indy cars that were fast but always failed. The current cars are engineering marvels, but I can only imagine the cars they would build if they weren't weighed down by a power plant intended to make F1 look slightly less wasteful.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/20 6:25 p.m.

If they are given more fuel and harder tires, they will burn more fuel and work the tires harder. Fuel and tire management is ALWAYS part of racing. Always has been, always will be.

The current powerplants are pushing technology. It's not necessarily about the optics. It would be interesting to see if, given the option, someone like Mercedes would ditch the energy recovery systems. Being able to get the same power level while carrying 30% less fuel is a competitive advantage - or, the other side of the coin, being able to get 30% more power for a given fuel load.

Can-Am was a "minimum of regulations" series. And the racing sucked because there was always a dominant team :)

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/19/20 6:43 p.m.
STM317 said:

Here's the unrestricted race variant of this car on the Nordschleife. Sound and response do not seem to be problems imo

Thats awesome but its messing with me that they play the promo at 4x frame rate versus the original. Like play the actual lap video, no need for tricks.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
11/20/20 1:13 p.m.

People mentioning the v8 and v10 are also forgetting that other then the 917  and 919 pretty much just about every other major  winning Porsche race cars have had flat 6 engines. I haven't heard people saying something like the street 962s arent cool because they just have a 6 cylinder engine. That being said the Porsche v10 is a race engine that was just never raced. It was originally designed and built as an f1 motor then modified and tested in Porsche's still born open cockpit lmp car in 1999.

350z247
350z247 New Reader
11/21/20 9:52 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

I would never knock a flat six in a Porsche; that's really they're bread and butter. They literally dominate the 6 cylinder market with really only BMW and Nissan for distant 2nd and 3rd. I just appreciate their V8, V10, and flat 12 more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bywn3yR9pYRFyOqyyRWjAsocfLE0uGmUUXqpPXPZd1xTZIdoBoXBoFfsUwwi5nMG