The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
2/17/22 12:22 p.m.
feature_image

Story by Rupert Berrington

Currently surrounded by snow? Or dirt? Or maybe even sunny, warm grass? It’s never the wrong time to think about some SCCA RallyCross.

To help fuel those dreams, how about some photos from last fall’s 15th RallyCross National Championships, held for the first time at Ohio’s Ross County Fairgrounds just North of Chillicothe and about an …

Read the rest of the story

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/22 2:08 p.m.

Anyone here know if the UTV class will be allowed to participate at Nationals in 2022?

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/17/22 2:41 p.m.

Nope, not approved for national competition.

Lof8 - Andy
2/17/22 2:49 p.m.
dps214 said:

Nope, not approved for national competition.

lame.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/22 5:47 p.m.

UTVs are a rollover risk.  One tried rallycross at the venue I go to and after a few two wheels in the air turns the answer was have a nice day.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/17/22 6:25 p.m.

I don't want to make it out as the only reason because I'm pretty sure it isn't, but rollovers have definitely been an issue. We were pretty sure from the start that the requirements that were set for ride height/track width weren't aggressive enough and there's turned out to be the case. Also I hadn't predicted it at the time but allowing utv tires was probably a mistake. They don't have much lateral grip so pure cornering force rollovers aren't much of a concern, but they're really really good at digging into soft ground which creates a different rollover risk. Plus the rules as they're written now are fairly vague which I'm sure isn't helping with enforcement.

Lof8 - Andy
2/17/22 9:40 p.m.

I agree that most utv participants don't have their rig set up optimally to avoid a rollover. But I do. I've been ripping it hard for 2 years now without a rollover and winning pretty much every rally event I enter, including a NASA rally sprint, and about 10 Firm rallyXes, which are more like a stage rally than an SCCA rallyx. I've done a ton of SCCA rallyxes as well with no incident. At least at FL events, the UTVs don't degrade the surface any more than the cars. But I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I'll just keep doing the events where UTVs are welcome. Thought it would be cool to try a National event.

Finzup
Finzup New Reader
2/17/22 10:00 p.m.

As a UTV competitor I share your concern. Allowable ride height combined with OEM tires (which are typically 27" to 29" in diameter) tends to be a handful to drive in RallyX.  But this metric can be tightened up by referencing inboard axle height to outboard hub centerline.  Plus the tire rules should be more specific with regard to diameter and tread design.  Give us some time and we'll figure it out.  In my limited experience the rollover score is CARs-3/UTVs-1.  Hmm?

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/17/22 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

They aren't legal for the national championship, but unless something has changed, regions that host the other national events (national challenges or whatever they're called) are allowed to offer utv class if they want. Pretty sure at least one event allowed them last year.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/18/22 10:06 a.m.

Is there anywhere that lists where RallyCross takes place around the country?  I'd love to try it, but a quick Google search yielded nothing near Atlanta.

Lof8 - Andy
2/18/22 10:44 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Is there anywhere that lists where RallyCross takes place around the country?  I'd love to try it, but a quick Google search yielded nothing near Atlanta.

According to the "Atlanta Region SCCA" facebook page, the Middle Georgia Region hosts events at Wildsville, in Reynolds, GA.  

ojannen
ojannen Reader
2/18/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Check with the Middle Georgia region.  They have a site near Reynolds, GA.  I believe they are still finalizing their schedule for the year.

Edit: Andy beat me to it.  Here is what the site looked like in December: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGraavrn5k8

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/18/22 11:55 a.m.

Guess that's what I get for not using the book of faces....  I'll have my wife look.

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/18/22 12:34 p.m.

I've never run with them but ETR has one of the bigger programs around, looks like it shouldn't be too terribly far away. In my experience the longer drive is usually worth it for more/better competition, better sites, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H1f6pifND72adiDwhcl1Vscy7IpwVSJW8Bm6RYXhdjzpBQY3KucYoQ3VSFW9uvii