dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/10 5:06 p.m.

What is "real time all wheel drive" ???

Is there an all wheel drive in another space time continuum?

Is it all wheel drive in the same timezone.

What is "fake time all wheel drive"?

I am so confused

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 5:19 p.m.

I think if you go fast enough, you encounter time dilation, therefor your real time all wheel drive becomes meaningless

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
3/26/10 5:21 p.m.

What brand? Subaru, Honda, etc. It's a trade name for all wheel drive.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
3/26/10 6:42 p.m.

Honda's name for AWD on the Civic Wagons, and perhaps the first CRVs was Real Time. My mom has had 4 AWD civic wagons, 1985 - 1991 models. The current one is a 1991 that I put a D16Y8 in along with konis, coilovers, big brakes, etc.

RT4WD is really simple, just a viscous coupler in the driveshaft between the front and rear. If there is slip between the 2, the coupler grabs and sends power back. I've driven all of these cars in major snows and even light off roading, and never gotten stuck. For a simple system, it works very well and doesn't add that much weight, though isn't up to high power high RPM drag launches

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/26/10 6:42 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What is "real time all wheel drive" ??? Is there an all wheel drive in another space time continuum? Is it all wheel drive in the same timezone. What is "fake time all wheel drive"? I am so confused

Fake time all wheel drive is when you hull out a front-drive car and convert it to rear-drive. All wheels have been driven, just not concurrently.

jpaturzo
jpaturzo New Reader
3/26/10 6:47 p.m.

Regarding the Honda system, I'll just leave this here: Danger! Links to a PDF

http://www.hobby-rc.com/rtawd.pdf

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/26/10 7:29 p.m.

Realtime...

Realtime?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/10 8:15 p.m.

is that where they got their name?

Honestly, I imagine that before that, you had to stop your car or truck and engage the awd system manuaully.. either at the hubs or through a lever inside

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/26/10 8:22 p.m.

those systems are called 4 wheel drive as opposed to awd... sometimes referred to as truck style

not to be driven on pavement in the dry... off rd, ok, in the wet / snow then pavement is ok

awd works fine on pavement in the dry

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
3/26/10 10:56 p.m.
sobe_death wrote: What brand? Subaru, Honda, etc. It's a trade name for all wheel drive.

Subaru is "Symmetrical AWD"

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
3/26/10 11:05 p.m.
wbjones wrote: those systems are called 4 wheel drive as opposed to awd... sometimes referred to as truck style not to be driven on pavement in the dry... off rd, ok, in the wet / snow then pavement is ok

I was always under the impression that the main difference between AWD and 4WD is that 4WD has a shiftable transfer case and 4LOW ability, wheras AWD is always the same gearing relative to the engine speed.

Some people say the difference is 4WD has no center diff, and AWD does. But I don't think that holds, since a vehicle like a 4Runner is most certainly a "4WD" (in fact, the V8 cannot shift to 2WD like the V6 can), but it has both a center diff AND a shiftable transfer case. 4WD-AWD hybrid?

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/27/10 12:19 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: What is "fake time all wheel drive"?

Look up "haldex"

Front wheel drive until you're smoking the front tires, then after a few minutes you get about 20% power to the rears, usually right when you've finished whatever maneuver you needed AWD for in the first place.

jrg77
jrg77 New Reader
3/27/10 3:49 a.m.

So what's the ideal set up for tarmac? I've always thought it was LSD front and rear with viscous coupling in the center until I read somewhere that this is not compatible with ABS...

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/27/10 7:38 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
wbjones wrote: those systems are called 4 wheel drive as opposed to awd... sometimes referred to as truck style not to be driven on pavement in the dry... off rd, ok, in the wet / snow then pavement is ok
I was always under the impression that the main difference between AWD and 4WD is that 4WD has a shiftable transfer case and 4LOW ability, wheras AWD is always the same gearing relative to the engine speed. Some people say the difference is 4WD has no center diff, and AWD does. But I don't think that holds, since a vehicle like a 4Runner is most certainly a "4WD" (in fact, the V8 cannot shift to 2WD like the V6 can), but it has both a center diff AND a shiftable transfer case. 4WD-AWD hybrid?

from what I've been led to believe... I'm sure there are lots on here with more specific knowledge, the biggest difference is 4WD (when locked up) shouldn't be run on pavement in the dry...

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
3/27/10 9:34 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
irish44j wrote:
I was always under the impression that the main difference between AWD and 4WD is that 4WD has a shiftable transfer case and 4LOW ability, wheras AWD is always the same gearing relative to the engine speed. Some people say the difference is 4WD has no center diff, and AWD does. But I don't think that holds, since a vehicle like a 4Runner is most certainly a "4WD" (in fact, the V8 cannot shift to 2WD like the V6 can), but it has both a center diff AND a shiftable transfer case. 4WD-AWD hybrid?
from what I've been led to believe... I'm sure there are lots on here with more specific knowledge, the biggest difference is 4WD (when locked up) shouldn't be run on pavement in the dry...

I think historically that might have been the case. My '90 XJ most certainly you did not want to run 4WD (hi or lo) on dry pavement, unless you liked going "bump bump bump" around turns.

Meanwhile, the 4Runner can be driven indefinitely in 4hi on dry streets with no negative effects (per Toyota) due to its center diff. But in 4lo you get the same "bump bump bump" and it is not suggested in the dry. And I don't think anyone will argue that a 4Runner isn't a "real 4x4" considering its long history of off-road accumen.

Maybe I'll swap the "4WD" and "AWD" badges off my 4Runner and Subaru, ,lol...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/27/10 9:43 a.m.

There is full time four wheel drive, which is basically all wheel drive.

It all comes down the to a center diff. Have a center diff, you really have AWD. If the Center diff is locked or lockable you really have 4wd.

dig around here for coolio graphics that pretty much say the same thing.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
3/27/10 10:00 a.m.

Jeep full time awd has a lockable center differential.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/10 10:57 a.m.

Jeepers!!! I go away and you all get serious on me here!!!

I was actually poking fun of the various marketing names for the various types of drive systems. I don't think there is a actual definition that the automotive industry has adopted for these. I wish they would as it it would let you know at a glance what something is.

Similar to

SOCH & DOHC

and so on.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/27/10 3:36 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Jeep full time awd has a lockable center differential.

Jeep dosen't call it full time awd.. They call it full time four wheel drive or some other nonesense, been doing that since that quadratrac junk on the FSJ's.

RossD
RossD Dork
3/27/10 3:44 p.m.

Maybe the converse would be "ImaginaryTime AWD"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
274JMvCt2pk3WNBbb4r3NKj247mdqPP2ingCUXCCz4wpVvs1iBFf20n9gyT4pF4z