93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/1/09 7:10 a.m.

As title says, i need a wideband. The one i had lined up fell through, and i desperately need one.

Cheap is good, but i want a decent quality unit, at the same time.

I saw the kits on 14point7.com, they would work, but after piecing everything else in the kit together, it doesn't seem to be much cheaper than other more readily available options, and there's more time involved.

From there, you've got your usual AEM Uego, PLX DM5 or M-300E, Innovate, etc....

The Uego seems most affordable, i can get it new for $200 for everything, but this will sound petty and i realize it, i really don't like the bling bling look i have a gauge factor of it. The DM5 is marginally better in that respect, but $70 more expensive. The PLX M-300E is even more expensive, but is a box with a digital readout that i can fit in a DIN panel, which would be nice. Innovate, more expensive than i really WANT to pay, with more bells and whistles than i'll ever use.

I was contemplating Glowshift, they have a kit for $200 that includes the new Bosch 4.9 sensor, and it's close to the look that i want, besides it being a round gauge. I don't want sweeping needles, the black face digital gauge is just about perfect.

Does anyone have any extra ones lying around, or have any suggestions in the $250 and under range? Cheaper being better, of course.

Thanks!

For reference, here's the subjects:

PLX stuff.
http://www.plxdevices.com/wideband.html

Glowshift.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/blue-digital-wideband-gauge.aspx

AEM Uego.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

Innovate Auto Timer Kit.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16314&cat=0&page=1

I didn't realize that this Innovate kit existed. Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/1/09 7:34 a.m.

I have the AEM one. I like it.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/1/09 8:15 a.m.

We just put an AEM Uego on the project Neon. Look for more info in the October issue of GRM, but the short version is that we liked it. It's available as either a needle gauge or digital display, I picked the needle because I like the less flashy look too.

It surprises me how reasonable prices have gotten on wideband 02 sensors.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/1/09 9:24 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: We just put an AEM Uego on the project Neon. Look for more info in the October issue of GRM, but the short version is that we liked it. It's available as either a needle gauge or digital display, I picked the needle because I like the less flashy look too. It surprises me how reasonable prices have gotten on wideband 02 sensors.

Well, that looks like two votes for the AEM. I know it's a good unit, i'm just not sold on it matching the rest of the stuff that's going on. (Glowshift units). I may just do it anyways. I'm not sure why i would be anal in a challenge-priced car, anyways.

Can anyone smarter than me compare the AEM vs. Glowshift on paper at least and tell me what they think?

I'm really only going to be using it to tell me when i'm getting close to my injector/fuel pump limit when playing with the boost controller.

Raze
Raze Reader
7/1/09 9:27 a.m.

I vote PLX, never had a problem with it, never had to calibrate it, wasn't the cheapest unit but like you pointed out, the digital readout is nice and easy to mount wherever, and we have been abusive on ours and it's holding up nicely...

RobL
RobL Reader
7/1/09 9:35 a.m.

+1 for the AEM. At the time I had an AEM EMS so I knew it would all play well together.

RossD
RossD Reader
7/1/09 9:45 a.m.

Could you just buy the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor and use a multimeter and the graph?

RossD
RossD Reader
7/1/09 10:08 a.m.

Or ditch the multimeter and find a digital panel meter from Grainger. Try the manufacturer Simpson. Ask an electrician at a mill for one and I bet you'll get one for free.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/1/09 10:51 a.m.
RossD wrote: Could you just buy the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor and use a multimeter and the graph?

That output curve is from the analog output of a PLX controller, not a direct reading from the sensor itself. The sensor has a lot of devices that need to be actively controlled; it doesn't just return a straight voltage reading.

And yes, there's been quite a price war between some of the big wideband companies in the past couple years. A lot of our Innovate gauge kits have been marked down by about $60-70 compared to what they sold for a while ago.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
7/1/09 1:44 p.m.

Innovate LC1 - complete kit w/ 02 sensor and gauge for $229

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-standalone-gauge-kit-lc1-red-gauge-p-152.html

PLX is pretty nice also and has a real cool gauge.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
7/1/09 3:07 p.m.

The wideband sensor is a rather complex device. Simplistically, there are two narrowband cells, one inside the other. The innermost side is exposed to the exhaust, the outermost is exposed to the atmosphere. By running current through the outer cell, depending on the polarity, you can pump Oxygen from the atmosphere into or out of the space between the cells. The inner cell tries to switch high or low voltage (0.7 V) depending on whether any O2 is present on both sides. The control circuit pumps just enough O2 in/out, in order to just balance the inner cell between high and low. The amount of O2 pump current needed to maintain that balance, and it's polarity, indicates the AFR.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
7/1/09 4:57 p.m.

I'd read a review of widebands online some time ago...I think it was on SCC's site before they went bust. Anyway, one of the things they mentioned was that the Innovate units were the only ones that would stop putting out a reading once the sensor was compromised. Apparently, some of the other ones would keep putting out something, though you couldn't be sure of it's accuracy.

I have an LM-1 myself, as well as an LMA-3 data logger. I don't know why some people want JUST a wideband...that stuff happens too damn fast. It's nice to go back and look at a log.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
7/1/09 9:06 p.m.

You should try to get one with a logger. Assuming the circuitry is good, I've professionally not seen much of a difference between the Bosch and the NTK sensor that we use. Both types will work well, but the Bosch commercial one does tend to be cheaper.

(as for price, consider yourselves lucky- the cheapest I get are $2500. Without logging. But they are more accurate than what you get... Typically, it's $3500, and for the current top of the line, $5000)

FWIW- I have an early Innovate Kit one. Works great, but w/o logging. Logging- get data logging. The display isn't nearly as important as logging (mainly since you should be paying attention to the ROAD when the guage really matters).

Eric

zoomx2
zoomx2 New Reader
7/2/09 7:04 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: As title says, i need a wideband. The one i had lined up fell through, and i desperately need one.

How about Blues Traveler? That John Popper dude is pretty wide. :)

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
7/2/09 12:20 p.m.
zoomx2 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: As title says, i need a wideband. The one i had lined up fell through, and i desperately need one.
How about Blues Traveler? That John Popper dude is pretty wide. :)

not anymore...

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/09 2:07 p.m.

I have an Innovate LC-1 that I used for a short while, and is just taking up room in my closet. I need to buy some Camaro parts, so if you (or anyone else is interested) shoot me an email with an offer.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php $199 new, and mine is in really good shape. Don't be shy, I need coilovers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYdfW7yHtI7mZr5IYjUSZNHGpdMGSC3BJ0NTVGIHMwXE4tRBImh6ujM1Feg6E6BG