1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/15 7:39 p.m.

Specifically for transmission fluid and gear oil. I don't want a heated debate just what you prefer. A non scientific study or poll if you will.

Edit. I am wanting to keep this to full synthetic

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/24/15 7:51 p.m.

A heated debate is what you'll get and YOU'LL LIKE IT!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/15 7:53 p.m.

What's the transmission?

I'm using Redline in my Wife's Highlander and 924 and Swepco in my 951.

I use Royal Purple in the 951's engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
3/24/15 7:54 p.m.

Motul. I can't praise the stuff highly enough for its smoothness, especially in the cold. It's my go-to brand for drivetrain fluids when there is no specific fluid required (i.e. dual-clutch transmissions typically MUST use what the manufacturer suggests, or very bad $tuff happen$).

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
3/24/15 8:27 p.m.

The post above this is wrong because my one friend says oil X is the bestest.

Use oil X.

The post below this is total horseE36 M3 too.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/15 8:39 p.m.

I gotta say I have used both and like them both. I am using royal purple for the first time in the corolla with 210,000 miles on it and it shifts easier and without even a little grinding as did mobil 1 valvoline syn and even redline. It's got me thinking of going to royal purple in the e28 from redline next time. It doesn't hurt that it's sold locally either. Also don't listen to young people like the poster above me. ;)

Will
Will SuperDork
3/24/15 8:47 p.m.

Redline MT90 is what all the cool kids put in their MR2s.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
3/24/15 8:50 p.m.

I've run all Redline fluids - D4 ATF in the trans amd the 75-90 LSD specific gear oil in the diff - in my '98 M3 track car for about 8 years and have been very impressed - I put it in the Miata when I went through it, and the 525iT. Great stuff - a little spendy but top shelf.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/24/15 9:03 p.m.

I ran MT-90 in my Prizm, worked well but seemed to degrade after about a year.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/24/15 9:22 p.m.
Will wrote: Redline MT90 is what all the cool kids put in their MR2s.

As one of the cool kids, i can attest to this.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/15 9:30 p.m.

I liked the shift quality of Royal Purple Syncromax in the T-5 in my Mustang.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/24/15 9:34 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Motul. I can't praise the stuff highly enough for its smoothness, especially in the cold. It's my go-to brand for drivetrain fluids when there is no specific fluid required (i.e. dual-clutch transmissions typically MUST use what the manufacturer suggests, or very bad $tuff happen$).

I used Motul in the WRX (everywhere) for miles 25k-75k. No issues except I sometimes had problems with missing gears and sometimes couldn't get the car into reverse on the first or second try. This happened from the get-go when I did the change, and never went away. I never thought much about it, but then when I did the clutch I changed the trans fluid back to the Subaru OEM stuff (Ultra S or whatever it's called)......and shifting is much smoother, never miss a gear, and never have trouble getting it into gear.

May just be a Subaru thing (and I still have Motul in the rear diff), but for 1/4 the price I won't go back to Motul. I don't think it's any better for a street car.

I have Redline in the e30 transmission and Royal Purple in the diff. The e30 LSD didn't like the Amsoil stuff.

Sequoia has Amsoil in diff, trans, and transfer case.

So basically, there is no right answer, and "YMMV."

dean1484
3/24/15 9:39 p.m.

What I am looking for is a trans fluid that meets WSS-M2C922-A1. (For my X Type Jag) It uses a JATCO JF506E Trans (5 speed electronic control) It looks like:

For the Transmission I have found

• Redline D4 ATF
  • AmesOil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)

For the transfer Case & Dif I have found.

• Amesoil SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
  • Redline 75W140 GL-5 Gear Oil

Another one is Castrol

• Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF

All the above were pulled down from the manufacturers web sites base on Year make and model being plugged in to there web site.

There does not seem to be a Royal Purple one out there that meets the spec. I have emailed them and I am waiting on a response.

I REALLY want to go with a full synthetic as the issues with these transmissions is that the ports and clearances are very tight and they are very VERY susceptible to over heating. They like to run at 200 deg get up to 225 and things go wrong fast. The reason for this is that the standard ATF used in these will breakdown at temps over say 220 and they varnish up and clog things up and that is what causes them to fail. The answer is to use a synthetic ATF that has much better resistance to higher temps.

All this is a precautionary measure. I will be adding an upgraded Trans Cooler as well that will augment the one that is in the car.

dean1484
3/24/15 9:42 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
RexSeven wrote: Motul. I can't praise the stuff highly enough for its smoothness, especially in the cold. It's my go-to brand for drivetrain fluids when there is no specific fluid required (i.e. dual-clutch transmissions typically MUST use what the manufacturer suggests, or very bad $tuff happen$).
I used Motul in the WRX (everywhere) for miles 25k-75k. No issues except I sometimes had problems with missing gears and sometimes couldn't get the car into reverse on the first or second try. This happened from the get-go when I did the change, and never went away. I never thought much about it, but then when I did the clutch I changed the trans fluid back to the Subaru OEM stuff (Ultra S or whatever it's called)......and shifting is much smoother, never miss a gear, and never have trouble getting it into gear. May just be a Subaru thing (and I still have Motul in the rear diff), but for 1/4 the price I won't go back to Motul. I don't think it's any better for a street car. I have Redline in the e30 transmission and Royal Purple in the diff. The e30 LSD didn't like the Amsoil stuff. Sequoia has Amsoil in diff, trans, and transfer case. So basically, there is no right answer, and "YMMV."

The issue is that the ATF from the dealer is $50 a quart!!!! I will need 9 Qts.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/15 12:19 a.m.

I ran Redline MT-90 in my Miata's trans and loved it. It shifted noticeably smoother with that stuff.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/25/15 1:05 a.m.

Given that information, unless you plan on tracking it or something, the Castrol ATF and more or less any name brand 75w140 (they're all full syn) will be fine.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/25/15 6:26 a.m.

I have had a transmission bearing start to go bad within 5000 miles of switching from Redline to Royal Purple, I will not use it again as a result. Lots of miles of good experiences on lots of different cars with Redline and Amsoil.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
3/25/15 6:35 a.m.

I didn't think religious discussions were allowed here!

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
3/25/15 6:37 a.m.

I thought x-type transmissions where sealed and dont even have a way to check them.

dean1484
3/25/15 6:42 a.m.
BeardedJag wrote: I thought x-type transmissions where sealed and dont even have a way to check them.

It is advertised that way for "normal" use.

Sever duty sais to change the fluid every 30K miles. there is a drain and fill on these but no dipstick. The fill procedure is complicated and involved measuring the temp of the trans while the car is running in park. Kind of a PITA but really not all that bad

dean1484
3/25/15 7:21 a.m.

I have been leaning towards redline as I have used there products in all the race cars over the years and never had a failure related to there products.

Amesoil I don't have experience with but people talk very highly about it. RP I have heard zero about and don't know anyone that uses it. The interesting thing is RP is the most advertised and there website was the least helpful in my search for info.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 8:23 a.m.

I use Redline MT-90 in my Corolla. I know RP isn't totally honest about which of their products is really synthetic...

dean1484
3/25/15 8:34 a.m.

Just got this back from Pentosin. I emailed them yesterday.

Hi Dean

Unfortunately, no, we don’t offer an ATF for your vehicle with our Pentosin line.

Thanks for your inquiry!

Bob Trevor Manager, Sales Operations CRP Industries, Inc. 35 Commerce Drive Cranbury, NJ 08512 Tel: 800-526-4066, x-237 rtrevor@crpindustries.com www.crpindustries.com Please consider the environment when printing this email and/or attachments. Recycle whenever possible.

From: Dean Smith Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:02 PM To: Info Distribution for Website Subject: Transmission Fluid for 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0l AWD

Hi,

I am looking to see If you have an automatic transmission fluid that would be appropriate for my car. (2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0l AWD) The dealer specification is WSS-M2C922-A1. The transmission in the car is a JATCO JF506E Trans (5 speed electronic control)

I see that your Pentosin ATF 1 lists Jaguar but when I look at the technical specifications for this I don’t see anything that indicates that it is correct for this transmission.

Many thanks!!!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 8:41 a.m.

If you're looking for ATF, I've heard good things about this:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/

I plan to put that in my PS system next time I have to crack it open.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/25/15 8:52 a.m.

Amsoil. Amsoil in all the things.

Seriously. All my cars get Rotella oil, and Amsoil everywhere else. Brake fluid, diff fluid, trans fluid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YTSPH6mvfISMXZh7U4fCkcpHdqexf9PsAlJp8o3idMFFGfzmrVZotnOqZsV1ArGu