Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
10/4/22 3:03 p.m.

Hey guys. This is a question for those of you in PA who may register your vehicles as a classic. I drive my NA less than 5k miles per year, so I figure I might as well register it as a classic. Well, I already paid to renew my 2 year regular registration last month, so I was wondering, does anyone know if I can roll the payment I gave for that into Classic registration since its still valid, or do I need to pay all over again for a new registration? What is needed in terms of notifying insurance to the change? Tried getting ahold of the DMV but no luck.

Also thought about antique but I'm a bit nervous on the regulations with an antique, even though I only drive the car a max of 2k miles per year.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
10/4/22 3:32 p.m.

Subbed for answers. My PA based GF is interested in putting her B4 on classic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/4/22 4:42 p.m.

Super easy- head to your local tag place with the title and insurance, tell them you want classic or antique registration, good to go.  They stopped requiring photos years ago so there's not much to it, you just have to wait a bit longer for a plate.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
10/4/22 4:49 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Super easy- head to your local tag place with the title and insurance, tell them you want classic or antique registration, good to go.  They stopped requiring photos years ago so there's not much to it, you just have to wait a bit longer for a plate.

Sounds awesome, thanks! Will have to do that sometime this winter while the car is away for the season. I guess I'll have to pay again since I just renewed my regular registration, but hey, live and learn.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/22 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Japanspec :

On the bright side though it's a one-and-done registration fee - no yearly renewal. 

Also, might as well go for antique, the usage restrictions are no different versus classic.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
10/4/22 5:20 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Japanspec :

On the bright side though it's a one-and-done registration fee - no yearly renewal. 

Also, might as well go for antique, the usage restrictions are no different versus classic.

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking I should just go antique. Its not like I daily it anyway, and barely drive it 2k miles per year (typically 1.5k or less). So should be a non-issue I think.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
10/5/22 7:51 a.m.

I'd recommend going straight to antique. You'll lose the money you spent for your regular registration (unless you transfer that tag to another car) but you'll save on no more annual registration or inspection fees. With an antique I've found insurance companies are willing to insure based on an agreed value of the car. And assuming limited usage the rates might be cheaper as well. 

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
10/5/22 8:03 a.m.

I did this a few years ago and don't have to mess with any inspections, etc. now.  In PA, they'll issue a new title marked as 'antique' so you'll want to be sure to take the old title with you to get the process started.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/5/22 9:57 a.m.

I don't think you get money back on the original reg if that's your goal. Super easy to get the tags now compared to the old way with the pictures. The plates don't look as good as they used to though.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
10/5/22 1:33 p.m.
HopmanJones said:

I'd recommend going straight to antique. You'll lose the money you spent for your regular registration (unless you transfer that tag to another car) but you'll save on no more annual registration or inspection fees. With an antique I've found insurance companies are willing to insure based on an agreed value of the car. And assuming limited usage the rates might be cheaper as well. 

Antique plates restrict your night driving in PA. 

I waited until my registration was due to change, I highly doubt PA will pro-rate you.

I have had PA classic plates on my na miata for a few years. My insurance company said they make no adjustments for the registration. Currently I run all the stock emissions devices, but would be legal if I pulled them off. I still get annual safety and emissions inspections but no emissions sticker (my mechanic said he has to register the car as emissions exempt through the emissions registration in PA, thus  the charge yet no sticker. This doesn't seem right but I can't find other info.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/5/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to daytonaer :

I have had at least one car with PA antique plates for something like 8 years, I don't think there are restrictions on night driving and I can't find any with a quick search.  You just need legal lighting if you drive at night, while you don't if you only drive during the day.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/22 4:55 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I've heard reference to the night driving thing numerous times and the only reference I've ever found to any restrictions is this:

"Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, but must have their original lighting equipment"

Source: https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV%20Fact%20Sheets/fs-ant.pdf

My interpretation of that is you're good to go if the lighting otherwise complies with PA vehicle code. I think it's a popular misconception.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
10/5/22 7:19 p.m.

It's a popular misconception. There are no restrictions to night driving with an antique just because it has an antique tag. The way they wrote the rule about lighting is slightly confusing, but in the case of an NA Miata, there is no reason the stock lighting system will not be compliant with current laws. 

In terms of insurance companies, YMMV. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/22 9:07 p.m.

Triple check with your insurance company.  Mine had a laundry list of do's and don'ts that would cause instant disqualification.  It would have basically restricted me to only driving it in very restrictive situations.  I couldn't take it to work, the grocery store, or anywhere other than just strictly driving for pleasure.

If it was a nice day and I wanted to take it to work and someone hit it, it would not be covered and I would be put into a "review cycle" and dropped if any other rules were broken.

That is why both my 66 and 67 Pontiacs have regular tags.  Inspections?  No worries.  Yearly registration?  Cheap.

10/5/22 10:10 p.m.
daytonaer said:

Only if you use candles for headlights.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
10/6/22 8:13 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Triple check with your insurance company.  Mine had a laundry list of do's and don'ts that would cause instant disqualification.  It would have basically restricted me to only driving it in very restrictive situations.  I couldn't take it to work, the grocery store, or anywhere other than just strictly driving for pleasure.

If it was a nice day and I wanted to take it to work and someone hit it, it would not be covered and I would be put into a "review cycle" and dropped if any other rules were broken.

That is why both my 66 and 67 Pontiacs have regular tags.  Inspections?  No worries.  Yearly registration?  Cheap.

Was that in PA?  My insurance company has never asked about that, even though I volunteered the info to the agent.

10/6/22 8:18 a.m.

I think it really depends on the company you go with. I had an American Collectors policy for my 95 GTI that was pretty open for use, just can't be daily driven and need proof for other reliable transportation.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 3:52 p.m.
porschenut said:

Was that in PA?  My insurance company has never asked about that, even though I volunteered the info to the agent.

Yes, PA.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/22 12:10 a.m.

I just stopped by the notary the other week to do my first Antique registration. (PA) Most of this was said already, but I figured I'd post my experience too.

-$58 title fee. (Even if you have a PA title in your name already, if it isn't already branded antique, you have to do a new title to get that brand.) (The opposite is true too, you can un-brand the title to go back to a normal registration, same title fee applies.)

-$84 Antique Registration (One time fee, no yearly renewal.) 

-6% sale tax if it wasn't in your name already  

-$15-60 notary fees  

I did the personalized plate as well, so that is another fee, and they said it would take approximately 10 weeks to get to me. So until then I don't have a plate/registration. Should've done it sooner, oh well. 

Insurance, I'm sure varies by carrier. Mine would insure my car just fine, or they also work with Hagerty. Doesn't hurt to shop around!

As stated by others, the no night driving thing seems to be a common misconception. If your lights would have passed a regular PA inspection, which is to say, function properly, you're fine. No restrictions. 

10/7/22 12:13 a.m.

Also, I don't read a mileage restriction for antique vehicles in PA. 

A local cop told me to keep an Autozone bag with a part in it in the car and if ever questioned, I could say I was picking up parts. I don't read parts runs specifically as an approved use, but like most things it probably depends on your attitude and the cop. 

10/24/22 10:52 p.m.

Anyone get a Personalized Antique plate before? (PA)

I sent in about a month ago for my personalized antique plate for one car, and expected a 10 week lead time on the personal plate. Then today I got an antique plate and registration card in the mail that is not personalized, just a random number. 

Is this standard? Will I get my personalized plate in another ~6 weeks and have to turn this one in?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/25/22 7:01 a.m.

Your tag has nothing to do with your insurance. You can get antique or classic tags and just have it insured for regular use. One doesn't care about the other in PA.

As for the personalized tag, I didn't even think you could get one because the collector tags have unique number sequences?

You can also get a YOM registration but they charge you twice for the privilege. Once for it getting an antique title/tag and then all over again for the YOM tag use. And, if they decide the tag number isn't 'available' they will demand you send in that YOM tag you just paid good bucks for at Carlisle. 

PA sucks.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
10/25/22 12:05 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
daytonaer said:

Only if you use candles for headlights.

I stand corrected, I didn't quite understand the ruling.

check out form PA mv11 and PA 1340 Some quotes :

"Antique  vehicles operated exclusive between sunrise and sunset are exempt from normal lighting requirements of the PA vehicle code." 

Ie, your lights don't have to meet modern standards IF you have antique plates AND don't drive at night. Makes sense. I have been harassed by a police officer over this incorrectly. I guess an easily confused statement.

"It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation shall mean no more than one day per week. "

I wouldn't worry about carrying parts, but you do sign a "self certification" agreeing to this, so if a police officer sees you goofing off 2 days in a row and they choose to confront you, some type of explanation is reasonable.

Ddavid, if you check page 3 of the mv11 there are instructions for a custom plate. I have no experience with these.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
10/25/22 1:15 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

Anyone get a Personalized Antique plate before? (PA)

I sent in about a month ago for my personalized antique plate for one car, and expected a 10 week lead time on the personal plate. Then today I got an antique plate and registration card in the mail that is not personalized, just a random number. 

Is this standard? Will I get my personalized plate in another ~6 weeks and have to turn this one in?

I have a personalized PA classic plate on my car. I'd bought it out of state and so initially registered it as a classic then ordered the vanity plate. Got the classic plate in a week or two, and the vanity plate about 3 weeks later, complete with a new registration. Didn't need to surrender the original classic plate. I'm assuming the same procedure for the antique plates

BTW - check the registration when it arrives - mine said that my 2003 was a 1903 Chevrolet, so I had to get that changed. I did all my registration etc via the AAA in Pittsburgh.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
10/25/22 8:26 p.m.

The process is easy.

Not to reiterate what has been said before....

15-24 years old = Classic. Not exempt from PA inspection... not sure about emissions exemptions. One time permanent registration fee. Plate never expires as long as you own the car.

25+ years old = Antique ... exempt from yearly PA inspection and emissions.

One time registration fee that is permanent as long as you own the car.

I believe both have written limited mileage to 2500 per year.

Trucks registered with the above are not supposed to haul or tow anything. 

No one has ever checked the mileage of any of my cars registered as such in the last 25 years.

I have one registered clasdic and it has not been inspected since 1999. 

Don't drive like a total douschenozzle and you should not have any issues with the police.. or at least I don't here in western pa.

Store the car indoors with Hagerty insurance, which in my case is way cheaper for an antique non daily than regular insurance.

Lighting requirements for any car with a 12v alternator and 12v sealed beams or better make the nighttime driving issue a non issue. That rule I surmise was intended for the 50's and 60's when antique cars like model t's had unsafe light ouputs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wORqWE4wusRhDUsWsIYPVlrH9UQmdQjv9KhvNW1Cw7uBys4ry2Z37ra001fNXRBT