Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/3/21 12:40 p.m.
feature_image

Our LS-swapped 350Z was rapidly transitioning from a street car to a track car, and after removing the front windshield for better access, we finished and painted the interior. Next step? Put a windshield back in and go racing!

Of course, we weren’t going to just glue the stock windshield back in. It was badly sandblasted and chipped even before …

Read the rest of the story

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/3/21 12:58 p.m.

Great write up!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/3/21 1:11 p.m.

Great story , thanks , 

We are going over next week to get some top canopies made for a Messerschmitt kr200, 

we will check and see if they offer the SUPERCOAT™ type option .

Great story , thanks , 

We are going over next week to get some top canopies made for a Messerschmitt kr200, 

we will check and see if they offer the SUPERCOAT™ type option .

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/3/21 1:25 p.m.

Since the windshield and hatch window are up high, saving weight there makes a lot of sense.

I'd be curious if you know the weight of an aftermarket glass windshield? On my Datsun the aftermarket windshield is slightly thinner thereby making it almost 2lbs lighter.

Tom Suddard
3/3/21 1:26 p.m.

Our windshield was aftermarket, and weighed 25.5 lbs. I couldn't find any hard data, but I'm pretty sure it was thinner than OEM.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/21 1:36 p.m.

That is awesome. I'm amazed you had that much trouble trying to rough up the coating. Sounds like amazing stuff.

While buying a fitted windshield is ideal, how would one go about getting a sheet of the material so I can trim it to fit something really old, really obscure, that they probably don't have a mold for, like a Lotus Eur- Oh nevermind they have that too. Hmm...

Tom Suddard
3/3/21 2:01 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Yeah, so was I. I really didn't expect it to put up a fight, but it was like trying to sand modern ceramic clear coat off of a car. Super impressive.

I'm not sure if Shields sells sheets of the material, but your best bet is to call and ask them. They're super nice on the phone, and answered all of my dumb questions.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/21 2:27 p.m.

Follow-up question: how would you do this on a Challenge budget? 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/21 3:11 p.m.

I got 4x8 sheets of lexan at Alro metals for $100 a few years ago. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/3/21 4:06 p.m.

I picked up some 16"x84" Lexan for $20 each. That'll work for my side windows, but not the front . The rear is in the pondering stage , trying to figure out some two piece ,vented rear windscreen.

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/3/21 4:51 p.m.

Thanks for posting a very informative article Tom. Gotta love that 350z too. And thanks to CA for posting that kr200 photo. Talk about a rare vehicle. Never a boring moment in the GRM forums.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/21 5:31 p.m.

go figure i just made an appointment to get a new windshield on the 'racecar' for next week.

sheilds doesnt have a listing for it so it makes it better

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3nhX7W0353ynjFZlj6sfbKhRgAcT6mS3uZZ6tXrsqTYIa0XKhQ0N7c993mSjUH8Q