David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/20/21 2:03 p.m.
feature_image

Upgraded hardware doesn’t always have to come from a third-party supplier. Case in point: Mazda’s own competition department offers these stiffer Miata engine mounts–75 durometer vs. 55 durometer for the stock pieces. Goodwin Racing currently has them on sale for about $50 each, and you’ll need two of them.

For those looking for even stiffer options, Goodwin offers them, …

Read the rest of the story

calteg
calteg Dork
8/22/21 10:01 a.m.

Curious how rattly these are. P.O. swore he installed 70 durometer mounts in my miata, but it feels like a paint shaker currently

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/23/21 3:11 p.m.

I love these.  Did them along with the matching diff bushings and it was great.  Stiff enough that I never wondered where a gear was on track, soft enough that it felt close to stock.  One of those rare items that's a solid 8/10 in both areas.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 3:13 p.m.

Acceptance of these stiffer rubber mounts (which are also available from other sources wink) seems to be directly related to the percentage of time spent with the top down. Those who commute/drive with the top up a significant amount of the time are less likely to tolerate the extra NVH.

I've seen broken original motor mounts on Miatas with 60k. I'd recommend putting them on a regular replacement schedule, maybe with the timing belt.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
8/23/21 3:38 p.m.

If these are anything like the competition mounts Mazda sells for the RX7 then I hardly noticed a difference, but then again, rotary. I thought they allowed too much engine and transmission movement so I went extreme with delrin mounts. After a few years of slowly rattling the car apart I took a step back to polyurethane. 

David S. Wallens
8/24/21 10:51 a.m.

We should have done a live video from JG's shop the other day. It was very much how things go in our world. 

First, I was late getting there. Our neighbors took down their fence which doubled as our fence. We're waiting on a new one. But that meant that I couldn't just let the dog out. I had to take her for a W-A-L-K.

Then the lawn guy showed up--and parked blocking our driveway. But he had good info regarding the bare spots in the lawn. 

Then I finally got to JG's.

Hey, replacing these mounts look more involved that originally thought--plus here's a small problem and also a bigger problem that we should deal with at the same time. 

But we did fix a rattle and remove the old hitch while the car was on the lift, so that's still progress.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/24/21 11:09 a.m.

Welp, guess I'll find out for myself, just ordered a set. Who says advertising on GRM doesn't work?

David S. Wallens
8/25/21 1:18 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Woot.

So, um, wanna come join us in the shop...?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/21 2:41 p.m.

I could use a Miata hitch. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/25/21 2:56 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I could use a Miata hitch. 

I know a guy. Hit me up.

David S. Wallens
8/25/21 2:57 p.m.

And this hitch has some serious GRM history--like, dating back to our '94 R project. 

David S. Wallens
8/25/21 2:57 p.m.

So, technically, it's older than some GRM employees. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FfHc7YdZA3ZgJNE37cedoZlCaGQllDeI3M49bJ6oVmEGL5xbrOpwJQ8OCYl8ocr5