1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
2/15/11 4:27 p.m.

My father just bought a '06 Suzuki Aerio AWD wagon for my sisters. The center armrest, which is mounted to the driver's seat, is pretty torn up and my father did not notice it until after the car was sold to him because it was hidden under a cover. I can only find a replacement via a dealership website and they want $178 for a new one. Aerios are rare in MA junkyards so no luck on that front either. Are there places that will reupholster interior parts like seats and armrests? Any estimates for an armrest? I have not yet seen the car in person, so I can't assess the size.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/15/11 4:34 p.m.

Yeah, they exist.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 4:35 p.m.

Yes, there is a Santa Clause, they exist...

Oh, wait, where was I? Yes, they exist, and in auto-land mainly for restoration work. Live near the ocean? A sail loft/cover company could have that done in a day or so.

Away from the coast, try an awning company. Give them the part, and it'll be MUCH cheaper.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/11 4:39 p.m.

There is one here in Southern NJ.. not far from where I live. They do everything from awnings to restoration work

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/15/11 4:42 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: There is one here in Southern NJ..

There's one in Lakewood, NJ as well.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 4:44 p.m.

The one in Madison, Ct., is much closer. Actually the three of them...

mad_machine
2/15/11 4:49 p.m.
Ian F wrote:

to clarify.. this one is actually in Pleasantville.. since we are naming towns

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 4:54 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Ian F wrote:
to clarify.. this one is actually in Pleasantville.. since we are naming towns

The one that does black, wite and gray?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/15/11 5:13 p.m.

Find a boat upholstery place, they can do it or send you somewhere.

Dan

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
2/15/11 5:17 p.m.

Don't expect it to cost less than the replacement part.

I'm not saying the quality of the work won't be worth it, just that it may cost more than the replacement part.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/11 6:19 p.m.

Is it cloth or vinyl? Either way try asking the used car manager or service department who to call. Most dealers have a local mobile company that comes to them and does that kind of work. The trick is to get the info out of them-they usually sublet your job and mark it up at least 50%.

mad_machine
2/15/11 6:21 p.m.

I wonder what they did to tear up a 4 year old armrest?

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 6:29 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I wonder what they did to tear up a 4 year old armrest?

Dog, cat, grandchildren gnawing, etc...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/15/11 6:37 p.m.

Check with a local custom auto shop, they have someone doing their interiors so they can either do the job or refer you to someone(s) that can. Boat upholstery shop is good like what has been said. Also check couch & chair upholstery shops. Also talk with someone in a local classis/antique car club, someone is doing theirs.

Michele
Michele New Reader
2/15/11 7:04 p.m.

I'd try ebay... If a search in the phone book doesn't give you any help...

Michele
Michele New Reader
2/15/11 7:05 p.m.

In reply to Michele: Look under "Upholstery"... Or in the automotive section.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/15/11 7:09 p.m.

Go to Google and type in "Methuen, MA auto upholstery".

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/15/11 7:25 p.m.
Michele wrote: In reply to Michele: Look under "Upholstery"... Or in the automotive section.

Exactly. My family has owned an Upholstery shop. They're everywhere, at least around here.

corytate
corytate Reader
2/15/11 7:39 p.m.

damn if you were in nc youd be in luck, my friend brantley works at his dad's trim shop, they do a lot of upholstery work, they did the entire interior of a tesla roadster a couple months ago

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/11 7:44 p.m.

Jim's Auto Top in Ansonia, CT.

Or, talk to someone at the local Hot Rod shop.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
2/15/11 7:50 p.m.

Didn't expect all of these replies! I got a lead on a '05 Aerio at a junkyard close to work. I'll check it out tomorrow and if it doesn't have the armrest I will start looking for nearby upholstery shops. Thank you all.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/15/11 8:07 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Check with a local custom auto shop, they have someone doing their interiors so they can either do the job or refer you to someone(s) that can. Boat upholstery shop is good like what has been said. Also check couch & chair upholstery shops. Also talk with someone in a local classis/antique car club, someone is doing theirs.

Yeah, but it's been my experience, at least in Tulsa, that those types of shops are VERY proud of their work.

The cheapest number I got for an E30 headliner was $700.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/15/11 8:36 p.m.

My experience is there are different levels of upholstery shops - some of them are high end and do custom cars, others do the bread and butter stuff for daily drivers. You just have to check around.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/16/11 5:56 a.m.

I used an Internet Directory, typed in Auto Interior; Metheun, Mass. A dozen shops within 20 miles.

http://anywhoyp.yellowpages.com/metheun-ma/auto-interior?from=anywho_cobrand&g=metheun%2C+ma&q=auto+interior

Edit: Rats! No direct link. Go here, type in auto interior, Methuen.

http://www.anywho.com/

revhard
revhard New Reader
2/16/11 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

sorry to thread jack,

hey woody, I have a 2005 audi a4 with a tear in the seat bottom of driver's seat. An upholstery shop in fairfield quoted me $500 to replace the bottom leather in the seat. Is that normal?

Could Jim's auto top do that kind of work for cheaper?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tANhmtpZvS6Ih7FtjeHZemcFYoMDJ6yVRkszzOkLSujdk03Z0UV99f3yH52b8N7l