1 2 3 4 5 6
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/08 1:15 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: That's an LT, topline as far as options go. . . go back down to a step above WT. . . that's where I shop.

Check the website. GM is going to make a WT or an LT... Thassit...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 1:16 p.m.

prices have definately gone up since '06. Looks like the new version of my truck is $29,300 (our window sticker was $24,6xx).

The Tundra is not even available in a 2wd crew cab. But their ext cab is $29,210. Crewmax (crew cab) 4x4 starts at $33k. The Ridgeline is $29k with tow kit and alarm, or $28670 without.

But in the interest of GRM, wouldn't we buy used? If that's the case then the GM trucks are the better buy. They cost less.

I didn't go to the Chevy site. . . But I did go to the GMC one.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 1:19 p.m.
skrzastek wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: Ok, it's great. But it still gets WORSE fuel economy than a standard truck. So why, again, is it "better?"
Where did you get this information? I have an '08 Ridgeline, that tows my racecar and trailer (well under 5k, but I have towed heavier things and it does great, 5k is a low est. in my opinion) just fine. Unloaded on average I get 24 on the highway. When I tow it gets around 16. Plus I do not need a bigger truck. It also drives a lot nicer than the Ford/Chevy/Dodge, etc....

You my friend are in the minority from the info I've picked up real world. Most of our (and neighbors) customers are getting 20-22 unloaded on a good day and the normal for them is 17-18 in day to day town driving.

As for "driving better". . . I haven't seen this "huge" difference personally. But again, we use it like a truck more often.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/2/08 1:31 p.m.

Jeez! Tim mentions how much he likes his Ridgeline, and all hell breaks loose!

For the record I'm not a big fan of the Ridgeline as a truck for a bunch of the reasons listed above. However, it is WAY more nimble than a true full-size truck. For some people it fits what they need perfectly, Tim is one of those guys. Generally the cars we are towing are light, (sub 3000 lbs) so there is no need to have a 8K towing rating. Also, for a day to day mulch hauler/ kid carrier/ light duty machine, the Honda is hard to beat. The Avalanche isn't really a good comparison, as it is too large and powerful. Think Ford Sport-Track or whatever they call their 4 door short bed truck as a comparison. The Honda is far superior in to one of those. Also, the Honda is pretty darn nice to live with day to day, without being a "big" truck. Full size pickups, as nice as they can be (and GM makes the best IMHO) are a pain in the ass to park, drive in traffic, and live with day to day.

I don't want a Ridgeline, but I can understand Tim's love for his. Maybe Bobzilla should take a nice nap, or drink some warm milk........he seems kinda cranky.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 1:35 p.m.

For the Record, the truck is the "Wife's" car. She prefers a manly vehicle to anything else. She also has no trouble parking it, or darting in and out of traffic (transplanted Jersey girl, some habits are hard to break!). Maybe she's just more manly?

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
10/2/08 1:36 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Oh, it's a GMC. . . not a chevy. We take offense to that!

Everybody knows that the only thing that GMC's engineering department has worked on in the last 20 years is badge design.

John Brown
10/2/08 1:38 p.m.

I am glad I reread you last post Bobber... I read that she "had no trouble dating in it"... BIG DOUBLE TAKE!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 1:45 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I am glad I reread you last post Bobber... I read that she "had no trouble dating in it"... BIG DOUBLE TAKE!

LOL! no, I'm trying to keep the topic "family friendly" here. . .we won't go into those types of things. . .

I must admit I like your train of thought!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/2/08 1:52 p.m.

The ridgeline seems like a good answer if you're going to daily drive a tow vehicle. I HATE the thought of daily driving a tow vehicle. Thus, I daily drive a sporty car (WRX) and have a far superior tow vehicle for when it is needed (E350).

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/2/08 2:06 p.m.

as i recall... seemed like the GRM forum tow vehicle of choice was the astro van... :)... 5000+ tow rating... can find clean examples for far less then you would a pick up (vans don't hold value near as well as trucks) ...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 2:09 p.m.

Only problems I remember with the Astros is they liked to eat front tires, and were a little underpowered back in the TBI days.

John Brown
10/2/08 2:17 p.m.

1996 ^ Vortecs are the key there Bobz, All three of mine cost me about $2500, Marks was about $1500.00 after brakes, I just missed another runner that needed a differential for $700.00,

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
10/2/08 2:24 p.m.

But then the vortecs had the intake sealing and egr problems. . . I guess everything has it issues. I remember Dad had a couple. Decent enough, I justdidn't like the seating position of the driver/passenger.

Well, next year y'all came comesee what I'm towing with to Solo Nationals. . . just follow the loud Metro on Steroids (Swift) to Paddock!

John Brown
10/2/08 2:25 p.m.

Intake problems were a byproduct of DexCool. EGR was a tune issue. Both are EASILY remedied.

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
10/2/08 2:36 p.m.

I'm just gonna say that I might just have the most "grassroots" tow vehicle here.

1986 Suburban Sierra Classic, with all the options. Paid only $1200 for it at the beginning of this race season. Now, I don't have a long haul to the track, but it gets me there in A/C comfort with CD stereo sound. Room for all tools, spare wheels/tires, extra parts, fuel, water and the whole crew and still has extra space.

Beat this!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/2/08 2:44 p.m.

I sold my pickup last year. It was a 4-cyl, 4WD, King Cab Nissan Hardbody. It did more towing and hauling then every truck on my street combined (F150 that's never had anything in the bed, Ram3500 Diesel that's a commuter, Black GMC 2500 Diesel that has perfect paint, etc, etc).

I thought I was going to be in trouble not having a pickup bed around because I hauled so much stuff (cherry picker, engines, shop equipment, car parts, wheels/tires). Bot was I wrong!

The cop car single handily brought home an entire RX-7 worth of parts, twice (set of wheels/tires, seats, complete interior, rotary, door, hatch, etc). It's hauled home a Ford 302 on an engine stand, in the trunk (with the lid CLOSED!). It's hauled a sandblasting cabinet and 55-gallon parts washer at the same time. Four wheels and tires fit in the trunk with the full size spare no problem.

Then came the day that I actually needed a truck bed. The better half wanted to build flower boxes in the back. We needed 16 2"x12"x10 Feet pieces of lumber, plus 16 2 foot sections and a bunch of other stuff to go with it.

The answer? Still not a truck. The 1st Gen RX-7. I bruised a lot of truck owner's egos at the Lowe's when I shoved all that wood in and drove off. I thought the loading dock manager was going to die of a heart attack when I pulled up. Hatchbacks are useful!

Moral of the story? Trucks are really only needed to be trucks, and very seldom. You want to tow (here it comes..) buy a P71. Full frame, huge disc brakes, tranny cooler, steering cooler, heavy-duty suspension, heavy-duty transmission, and a long wheelbase. It tows better then any full size 1/2 ton I've ever driven (and that's a lot).

As for the debate? I kinda agree with Bob. 1/2 ton with a small V8 is world's better at being a truck then a Ridgeline. Unfortunately the only thing it can do better then a P71 is haul plywood sheets, but that's what I own a 4'x8' flatbed utility trailer for...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/2/08 3:09 p.m.

I was at Wal-Mart the other day walking out to my Civic. And beside me was a pickup had just parked. It was a raised long bed extended cab F-250. The damn thing was so big I could have parked my Civic under it. It had perfect paint and this 5 foot tall blond gets out of it and I can help but wonder what the hell is the point of that. But I have to agree with Bob a frame pick-up truck is going to do a better job towing then a unibody. But to be honest most people don't need a full frame truck. And they also kinda don't handle as well esp. the new F-150. Jesus that thing sucks.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 3:29 p.m.

dosen't take a super genius to realize that full frame trucks will dwindle in number in the next few years.

reference the A-bat.

unibody will dominate most of the market except commercial type use in the future.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/2/08 3:33 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: They don't buy what they NEED, they buy the biggest, baddest beast on the planet.

Shame on us. We bought a Ridgeline that can't tow 11 billion pounds, but works perfectly for us.

Bobzilla wrote: Could we have gone 4wd? Sure, but it is far from beinga necessity.

The 4wd drive is great when we take it on the trails to get broken dirtbikes and stuck cars, pulled the motorhome out of the mud, and pull boats out on dirt ramps.

Bobzilla wrote: Then there's the comfort arena.

Another reason we went with the Ridgeline, it rides like a car.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
10/2/08 3:55 p.m.

And in the Suddard household the most important definition of a truck's working ability is it's ability to carry patio blocks.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 4:02 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: They don't buy what they NEED, they buy the biggest, baddest beast on the planet.
Shame on us. We bought a Ridgeline that can't tow 11 billion pounds, but works perfectly for us.
Bobzilla wrote: Could we have gone 4wd? Sure, but it is far from beinga necessity.
The 4wd drive is great when we take it on the trails to get broken dirtbikes and stuck cars, pulled the motorhome out of the mud, and pull boats out on dirt ramps.

ha hes getting whoope up on by a highschooler

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
10/2/08 4:06 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:

everything he said^^^^

They tow great

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
10/2/08 4:25 p.m.

Wanting a nimble truck is like wanting a soft kick in the balls. Either way its gonna suck compared to no kick in the balls, so might as well go big.

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
10/2/08 5:07 p.m.

everyone knows the best pick up ever made is toyota. behold the hilux! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk so a pickup you can't destroy and that you can fix with wd40 and hand tools and holds resale is the winner. and to qoute jeremy clarkson on the f150..." its rubbish!"

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
10/2/08 5:13 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
Evan_R wrote:
njansenv wrote: He drives a volvo wagon. And just because it has the capacity to tow 3500lbs, doesn't mean I'd want to do it.....
I suppose that's true. I'm not in any sort of rush, though. If you are, the '84 Volvo Diesel wagon is not a good choice. And I wasn't reporting EPA mileage ratings, I was reporting real-world MPG
They must not have hills where you live, or any concern for safety. 80 (?) hp with a loaded wagon and 3000 pounds behind you gives you about 80 pounds per hp, which will give you a 0-60 time of somewhere around 25 seconds on flat ground. Uphill onramp? Mountain pass? Ha, yeah right! Bryce

BTDT. I moved from Michigan to Nevada in that wagon. Probably had a gross weight of 4800 lbs, and a GCW of close to 6000 lb.

Drove over mountain passes. Merged on to highways. Drove 62mph. Nobody hit me, maybe plenty of people cursed at me, but that's why they are multilane highways.

I am so tired of people that need too much vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RFXqV1qUChW55YX8CZfcdHXzLAzcuourTaaAIn2oZ89xQJWS5seyzbUWtAi76jao