1 2 3 4
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
9/25/12 10:55 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Woody: That's something to brag about, I suppose. I've been painting cars since the early 70's, and I don't think I'd even attempt to paint one of those, although I'm not up on what process and paint was used to achieve that look. Maybe it's not as tough as it seems.

Not the same as painting it, but I had a friend who ran a Mystic Cobra for a few years. He had touch up paint for it and said it was the easiest color he'd ever touched up. Just one of those little paint brush in a bottle mixes and it was completly invisible until you were within inches after touching up chips, even large ones.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 10:55 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: While not mine (I can't find any pictures of my 911) it was this exact shade of orange.. I miss it

I love that.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/12 11:07 a.m.

This far and no AMC's?!? For shame!!!

Big Bad Orange (the color the General Lee became in the movie):

Big Bad Green:

Big Bad Blue:

All three of those colors came out in 69 and were paired with painted bumpers. They lived on through 70 with chrome bumpers. AMX, Javelin, and Rebel.

Bittersweet Orange Metallic:

Scarab Gold:

But of course AMC's most ridiculous colors were the factory Red/White/Blue specials.

1969 SC/Rambler "A":

1969 SC/Rambler "B":

1970 Rebel Machine:

1970 Trans Am Javelin:

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 11:26 a.m.

Okay, here's one identical to my Dad's:

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/25/12 11:35 a.m.

Do race cars count?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/25/12 11:35 a.m.

Scion marked the end of the mk1 XB with a color called scorched penny. I kinda liked it

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/12 12:21 p.m.

Jeep Gecko Green:

Ford Aztec Gold:

Ford Deep Violet:

colaboy
colaboy New Reader
9/25/12 12:39 p.m.

I'll just leave this right here........VW Harlequin

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/12 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Oooh I like those colors (the Big Bad Green especially) but the red white and blue paint scheme is a scheme not a color. Not saying I don't like them but not really what I was looking for.

frogy130
frogy130 New Reader
9/25/12 1:03 p.m.

My wife had her 1972 Javelin painted wild plum like this one.

My fav color for the big hipped Javelin.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
9/25/12 1:04 p.m.

I remember at one point Honda offering the more lowered down Element(SC model maybe?) in a color they called "Root Beer". I saw it in person at the dealer when we were shopping Minivans many years ago,and fell in love with it. Also Mini has a sort of similar color on the Cooper now that is called Hot Chocolate". It is just as cool in my opinion, but I am a sucker for brown on a car. I know I am weird, you don't have to tell me, again.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/25/12 1:08 p.m.

Most of the cars in this thread look great! I like cars to have color. I’m really tired of the sea of gray/silver cars.

failboat
failboat Dork
9/25/12 1:26 p.m.

Mystic Cobra

OOPs I am about a page too late but oh well. Still a sharp looking color.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
9/25/12 1:27 p.m.

Was Gecko Green really an option? That is REALLY bright!

Edit: A quick search on da'Googs shows that it in fact, is a real color on production Jeeps.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/12 1:35 p.m.

The only colors I really do not like is the flip/flop paint. Even the Mystic Cobra.... Sorry. I even like the pink cars. I wouldn't drive one or buy one, but that doesn't mean I can't like it...

failboat
failboat Dork
9/25/12 1:53 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

I couple months ago I was driving past a dealer, and I E36 M3 you not, they had at least 10-15 of them lined up. I guess they might have trouble selling them.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
9/25/12 2:25 p.m.

Those "mystic mustangs", as well as any of the other color changing paint, are/is the fuggliest things ever. Welcome to 1995 and it was even tacky back then.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/25/12 2:28 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Oh thought of another one.

Bite your tongue. That's an amazing color. If it had existed in '11, my 5.0 would be that color.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
9/25/12 2:55 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: How could y'all forget Plum Crazy?

When I was a youth, all I ever wanted (and still do) is a Plum Crazy Super Bee.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/25/12 3:01 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Was Gecko Green really an option? That is REALLY bright! Edit: A quick search on da'Googs shows that it in fact, is a real color on production Jeeps.

Not only that, but you can get the hardtop version with a green tintop and matching flares. I saw one yesterday, in fact. In 4-foor format, it was a lot of bright green.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
9/25/12 3:05 p.m.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed Reader
9/25/12 3:08 p.m.

I have to say that I don't like the gold, beige, silver, white, black, gray, etc. The problem is that the rest of the automotive public (aka sheep) want cars in that color, so that is all you can get without a special order. I LOVE the crazy blues, greens, yellows, oranges, purples, etc. LOVE THEM.

If there had been a Fiesta within 100 miles of me in that Lime Squeeze color with a 5 speed, I would have bought it. Best I could do is Blue Flame, which is OK.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
9/25/12 3:13 p.m.

Those green, and also similar in brightness orange 4-door jeeps are all over Martha's Vineyard as rentals. Maybe that is how Jeep can get rid of them, as fleet/rental cars. I like bright colors, and all, but don't think I could own that bright green on the Jeep. They also have a different shade of green that isn't too bad I believe or maybe it is the orange that has two different shades with one being pretty nice, and the other being in your face. This coming from a guy that owns a Spark Yellow RX-7, did own a bright orange RX-3 SP,and also owned a pumpkin orange Datsun 510. Maybe it's a Jeep thing, and I can't understand.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/12 3:15 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Oh thought of another one.
Bite your tongue. That's an amazing color. If it had existed in '11, my 5.0 would be that color.

I never said it was a bad color. I quite like it.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
9/25/12 3:18 p.m.

I had a Buick GS that was factory "Cortez Gold". I tried hard to like it, but it felt like some bad "Grey Poupon" commercial I could never get out of.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0HMXObTENALMklB7lE38jeAGeh2pICklWgtxdExp780t2vbvlFUyoOGlvm3WjWE