Matt
Matt Reader
4/10/19 12:49 p.m.

Hey - I am looking for a supplier for road racing leaf springs for a Datsun 710.  Any help would be great, thanks

Matt

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/10/19 2:06 p.m.

Landrum perhaps? If not they might point you to someplace else.

https://landrumspring.com/technical/leaf-spring-technical-information/

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/10/19 3:28 p.m.

Eaton Detroit Spring will do custom springs for pretty much anything

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/10/19 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Matt :

Take your springs into a truck spring place. Every major city has them. 

Just tell them what you want. Stiffer/ softer, lower, higher.  

They will fire up their oven and give you exactly what  you ask for.   The cool thing is if you’re wrong  you can bring them back and they will change them to whatever, often for less than the first time.  

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/10/19 4:01 p.m.

As said you'd be best to find a spring shop and have them make what you need.  There are a number of suppliers that make leaf springs but a spring shop knows who they are and how to order.  I did research this just to find out more info on leaf springs.  I was actually interested in spring bushings and finding replacements for a European car. I will end up ordering them  from England as they just don't make anything  in the US that will fit my application.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/10/19 4:27 p.m.

We used circle track sliders in place of shackles on a few cars. Amazing differences in handling and feel.

However, i cant say about a datsun. Ain't tried it on one.

But worth investigating. Or testing. Seemed to help lateral axle movement (liminting like a panhard) as well. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/19 6:10 p.m.

I use circle track sliders in the rear and heim joints in the front eyes of road racing cars.  I calculate what I need for spring width, thickness, length and number of leaves to get my target spring rate and have a local spring shop make them.

I bolt the slider plates to the car rather than welding so I can shim them to get the cross weight where I want.  I've also used really light springs in combination with coil overs.  That way I can change spring rate by swapping affordable and available coil overs and use set cross weight with the coil overs.

Matt
Matt Reader
4/11/19 7:21 a.m.

thanks - this is great info. i have a bit of research to do now but that's the fun part anyway! i know of a good spring shop in town, been around forever, i will get ahold of them but look into the slider arrangement as well, ive heard of it but have never seen one nor do i know how it works.

thanks again!!

Matt

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
4/11/19 8:20 a.m.

A&A makes great slider kit.  Cheaper then you can buy the steel for.

https://www.aa-mfg.com/product/slider-box/

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/19 7:01 p.m.

A Datsun 710 requiring performance springs does not exist unless there are pictures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v5XRsmnBWtshO64bhhPWHjShnL3QpZeaRL5KDQVxGi4woHhpkeu1lmcx9w8VsRi4