1 2 3
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/13/20 3:08 p.m.

On an ENTIRELY related note, is there anyone able trailer a car with a split control arm from Gaylord to the Lansing area..? I’m hoping to borrow BIL’s truck and rent a u-haul car hauler but in case there’s a hiccup I’m trying to get this done tomorrow 

We were SOOOO close to finishing

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/13/20 3:19 p.m.

Spend $150—ish on AAA Premium package. It will tow you 200 miles. There might be a 3 day waiting period from purchase date. 

Can the car stay where it's at until next weekend?  Do you have another way to get just yourself home tonight and leave the car? 

P3PPY
9/13/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

I thought you had to sign up for their insurance to get the tow package - no? 

And no, I need to get it ASAP. It’s at a shop that I don’t plan on using to fix it. 

Here are are some pics from the event

That’s my dark blue Saab second in line there

I also have some video that includes a sickening crunch

9/13/20 3:37 p.m.

Can the car sit at the shop, even if just a couple of days? 

No insurance required too. 

Id at least call AAA and get some details... (866) 685-5222

There might be just an upcharge like $50 to use right away.  That's still then a bargain. 

P3PPY
9/13/20 6:17 p.m.

I have a bunch of personal items in there. I could probably string the shop along for the duration but I don’t want to leave it all. And  loaner stuff from another drivers who was helping out

9/13/20 6:36 p.m.

Hertz, Enterprise, and Penske Truck all have locations near the Gaylord Airport. Uhaul is there too. Generally where M32 meets I-75. 

That will mean you have to wait until morning. Is the Saab drivable at all? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/20 6:39 p.m.

Why do I get a Spiezny vibe from the DSM...

P3PPY
9/14/20 8:36 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Control arm split right at this weld, if not elsewhere too. I think I might have driven it hard, although our score didn’t seem to indicate that! :) The wheel was freely moving back and forward in the wheel well.

I found a rental trailer with a winch for $50 in town and BIL has loaned me his truck. I’m not sure a wheel dolly would go up the ramp unless it’s super smooth but I’ll get one anyway for $40 from Lowe’s just in case.

Alternatively we’ll see what they charge to fix it (based on free visual inspection) and if the delta is worth our time then I’ll come up and get it after it’s fixed. Still doesn’t help MUCH with the stuff in the back but if they fix it I’ll have time to replace the stuff. If I have to be the one to fix it I’ll need the tools right away.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/14/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Once you get the car home you need to start a new topic on here and tell us all about your first foray into TSD rallying. I'm interested in hearing all about it because having the POR as your first event really is "jumping into the deep end of the pool".

P3PPY
9/14/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Oh yeah?? Ha it was crazy at times. Logging roads in rain soaked mud, powersliding around blind corners, clipping tree branches around mud holes—- that stuff’s not par for the course???

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
9/14/20 1:07 p.m.

My ol' Paw is pretty good at this sorta thing, scca class B national champ in.. what... '75 I think? He still does a regional or two every now and again. Me, I don't seem to have the patience and the in-head math skills. Kinda more like Heinrich Block, who, comin to the USA and running a "rally" here for the first time and knowing full well what "rally" means in Europe, pulled into the first time control, like an hour early and the officials said no no no you have to go this set speed and not flat out etc etc etc, said "VYE do you DO zees?!?"

P3PPY
9/14/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

Hilarious!

Yeah so I’ll do a write up later but let’s just say in the driving rain there wasn’t much let off in the parts where it mattered — the corners. And then when it got bad enough even the straights were too much for the CAST for me. I have brand new rubber on the car too— decently well rated General Altimax, too, but they were no match for the “road” conditions

I guess the lesson here is that any auto sport can be made more fun and challenging by driving on tires ill suited for the occasion

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/14/20 3:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Why do I get a Spiezny vibe from the DSM...

because him and Pitor were there!

I had never done a TSD before and really enjoyed myself on this, (we were in the orange/red stickered fiesta ST) It was certainly a challenge and some areas on the 2nd to last section of the night were a blast! Had we made some better calculations I could have really picked up my speed on those sections, lots of tight twisty areas and the fiesta really turns in nicely, I was pleasantly surprised. 

there have been some rallies where I had 45mph avg because of the conditions so it was weird to try and go that speed without the sweet or roads actually shutdown but it was a nice piece of Michigan rally history that has been long overdue for me. 

I would have liked more rain though, I really like it sloppy though but we had just enough to keep the dust down and keep the fun up!

P3PPY
9/15/20 6:48 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

Was that yours with the TIRERACK sticker?

Normally, driving in rain is the suck but this was my first time driving with a light bar and MAN that made it just fine. I don’t remember - did you have rally lights?

and yes, sliding was amazing. I have ALWAYS wanted to drive like that. ALWAYS

EDIT: NM that was a red Focus

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/20 3:04 p.m.

It was not my car but my friends car I was driving (he was co-driver) we had the big tirerack banner on the windshield, no rally lights. 

P3PPY
9/16/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh then I guess we chatted at the stop after guy hit the tree. 

Howdy!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lSqKQoc6QOD1q7UfAQ3duP77K8cTFS0aabIwCx7IEuoT2ymDIx8aSq0CxPtkYmpx