1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/1/14 11:16 a.m.

I have a bitch about rock auto. If I log in with out accessing my account they charge me one price (usually less). In this case it was an impact sensor for a GM truck for $85 +/- each. Then when I log in the price goes up to almost $92 WTF. I hate it when on line places do this. REALLY REALLY annoys me!!!!

Yes at $92 I will still purchase it as it is still cheaper than I can get them locally but the net result is I am paying almost $15 more (I have to get 2 of them) than what I thought I was going to pay.

What is the deal Rockauto am I on some sort of we can get more money from you list?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/1/14 11:24 a.m.

Did you try Parts Geek? They seem to have extremely competitive prices to Rock Auto.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/1/14 11:26 a.m.

they've got to pay for all those TV commercials somehow

dean1484
9/1/14 11:37 a.m.

It is not the price it is the bate and switch that I hate. It is like being lied to. If it is shipping costs the so be it but this is the part cost and it only changes after I log in. Shipping stayed the same as you can enter your zip code for shipping with out logging in to your account.

dean1484
9/1/14 11:38 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Did you try Parts Geek? They seem to have extremely competitive prices to Rock Auto.

For S&Gs I will do that. Thanks.

dean1484
9/1/14 11:46 a.m.

Parts geek lists it at 86 with free shipping. Hummm I have been loyal to Rockauto for years but this has me re thinking things.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/1/14 11:56 a.m.

You mean like this guy for $49 at Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-590-202-Front-Impact-Sensor/dp/B009AA2GQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=2003+chevrolet+1500+impact+sensor

Or this one for $62?

http://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Inflatable-Restraint-Replaces-General/dp/B00BV6E9CW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W2MG8KHPE3WN2Y5TJXY

dean1484
9/1/14 12:01 p.m.

Actually it is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJ1XQZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409590747&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

at $77. With free shipping.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/14 12:43 p.m.

My secret: I look up parts on Rock Auto, and then type the part # into Amazon and buy it with my Prime account...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/14 12:56 p.m.

Some online shops will put you on a "we can get more money from you" list, even if you don't sign in with an account. I notice it sometimes when I open a private browsing window to do the actual purchasing and find that every item now costs a few dollars less.

Don't ask me why I'd belong on such a list

dean1484
9/1/14 1:00 p.m.

If Rockauto is really doing that I will be moving on from them. That is horse E36 M3 business practice. If you have to lie to get business you are not doing it rite.

dean1484
9/1/14 1:03 p.m.

I am betting others have seen it but only notice it at checkout and at that point it is "just a couple of dollars" so you hit the complete purchase button.

I hate big government but this is a case where I would consider some form of consumer protection.

dean1484
9/1/14 1:07 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Some online shops will put you on a "we can get more money from you" list, even if you don't sign in with an account.

Cookies and or they read and file your IP address is my bet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/14 1:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Some online shops will put you on a "we can get more money from you" list, even if you don't sign in with an account.
Cookies and or they read and file your IP address is my bet.

Has to be cookies (or other local storage like Flash cookies or HTML5/DOM storage), if it were just the IP, changing browsers wouldn't make a difference.

old_
old_ Reader
9/1/14 2:36 p.m.

Contact them and ask what's going on. Also inform that because its happening you looked elsewhere and did not purchase from rockauto.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
9/1/14 3:04 p.m.

Gee. I'll have to pay more attention. I use RockAuto often but have never noticed anything like that.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/1/14 3:22 p.m.
old_ wrote: Contact them and ask what's going on. Also inform that because its happening you looked elsewhere and did not purchase from rockauto.

This. I've dealt with RockAuto customer service a number of times over the years and they've always been pretty helpful.

dean1484
9/1/14 3:51 p.m.

Ok just so you all can see I am not losing my mind.

Price logged in under my account. $91.79

Price not logged in using in private browsing in internet explorer. $88.79

Houston we have a problem!!!

old_
old_ Reader
9/1/14 4:22 p.m.

Can you check out as a guest or create a new account?

dean1484
9/1/14 4:25 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Both of your screen shots show $5.46 shipping though.

You are correct re the shipping I will correct the original post my mistake. Thanks!!!!

dean1484
9/1/14 4:34 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
old_ wrote: Contact them and ask what's going on. Also inform that because its happening you looked elsewhere and did not purchase from rockauto.
This. I've dealt with RockAuto customer service a number of times over the years and they've always been pretty helpful.

I have dealt with them as well and they have been good to deal with.

dean1484
9/1/14 4:35 p.m.

Found an email address and sent them this note with copys of the screen shots. I will let you all know how this pans out.

=============================================================

Subject: Why and I being charged more when I log in to my account?

Hi

The subject line of this email sais it all. See the attached screen shots. I have been a customer of yours for many years and have for the most part not paid much attention to your prices as they have always been good but this is just not right. In fact I am having reservations about ordering these now. I need two of the parts shown in the screen shot. I feel like I am being lied to or it is some sort of bait and switch thing.

Needless to say I am not happy and I am reviewing my parts purchasing options.

Many thanks

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
9/1/14 8:00 p.m.

subscribing. i spend about a grand a year at RA... i will send an identical Email if i can replicate the results...

-J0N

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/1/14 8:16 p.m.

I've heard about this, specifically from Staples. A lot like grocery stores vary prices depending on their location and surrounding demographic, if your zip code is in a nicer or higher income area they will adjust pricing a bit.

That might not be what's going on but is definitely a thing that's happening now.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323777204578189391813881534?mobile=y

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/1/14 8:19 p.m.

Just another thought: could it have to do with sales tax?

The new internet regulations that require internet places to charge sales tax on the buyer at the buyer's local tax rate?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hiOkMxudgSXI2E8NPeqjhpCnaKFg3EOaCtPDChkk7QHyXwU5d8up3nSHqTQGZ5Ml