David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/22/21 11:47 a.m.

Perhaps there’s still room for the true small efforts in IMSA. Gino Manley–by day the used car manager at a dealership in Jacksonville, Florida–and a group of friends made it to this year’s big weekend at Daytona, driving an Audi RS3 in the Michelin Pilot Challenge race this past January. 

Read the rest of the story

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/21 1:15 p.m.

Thats really cool!  I respect the guys making it happen with no budget more than the big money names.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/22/21 1:30 p.m.

One of my racing mentors did the 24hrs (early 80s) in a similar manner. Always cool to read stories about the minnows on the grid.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
6/22/21 2:00 p.m.

Cool story, I sometimes feel like them at the amateur level, at the end of they day they had a great time, which is good to hear.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/23/21 7:53 a.m.

curious, what is the entry fee that they had to raise?

I really love stories like this and would love to read a more detailed account of their weekend.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/23/21 8:15 a.m.

I can remember when half the field at the Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 were SCCA club racers.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
6/23/21 8:32 a.m.

Very cool story

David S. Wallens
6/23/21 9:26 a.m.

Glad that you enjoyed it. Fun piece to put together. We need to do something on Gino's latest ride: a P71 track car. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
6/23/21 9:58 a.m.

I believe there is probably there are teams in the amateur  or grassroots racing that have bigger budgets and spend more then some pro teams. But just goes to show how hard work etc can makes things happen aswell how many people can makes things happen with less or nothing.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/21/22 3:13 p.m.

This comes up from another article, and I remember this coming out in the mag and thinking how cool it was. 

As asked upstream, how much is the entry fee for this race or the Petit etc? 

No spares means little (lol, yeah I know, the car is going to be quite costly) money, just feeding and sheltering a crew and the tires and gas, yes? Would be really neat to know how cheap someone could do an IMSA race for these days. 

And good on IMSA for allowing a late entry like this!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/21/22 6:47 p.m.

This is from 1970 Lemans 24 hour - private entries driving Porsche 911's.  Had to be cool.  

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 8:49 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Entry fee for an IMSA GTD team ranges from about $5000 to $14,000 per event depending on class, event and a few other things. For a Michelin Pilot Cup team, figure about $3500 to $5000 per event.

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 8:57 p.m.

A big expense for teams: You gotta get your people and the car to the event. The hauler doesn't care what's inside. It just needs a steady diet of diesel. And don't crash or brake anything, of course. 

always_the_ansr
always_the_ansr New Reader
1/25/22 1:38 p.m.

So, good news: Yesterday, Gino announced on FB that they would again be racing in Friday's BMW Endurance Challenge at Daytona, so go out and root for the #85 this Friday!

Astamson
Astamson
1/28/22 12:02 a.m.

A buddy of mine ran Daytona a number of times in the late 80s early 90s just like this. Used car at the end of its eligibility, shoe string budget, and a few buddies with some funds. I thought these days were gone. Gives me hope.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/19/22 3:48 p.m.

Sooooo, what was their budget? What was the actual expense of running like this for the event?

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/20/22 1:51 a.m.

I am a slow-ass wanabe who has spent the last five years on road circuits and in Skippy/Bertil Roos schools trying to find my way to vintage racing with HSR/SVRA in 2023.

Gino does not know me, but, back when I was still on FB, he was a total gentleman who answered my moronic questions patiently and respectfully. Among the many pro drivers, crew chiefs, fuel can gorillas and shop-sweepers that I know, ALL have a universally high opinion of Mr Manley.

Just thought that needed to be said.

As far as this article and how Gino could run with the "big boys" on a low budget..... talent and drive are worth a transport truck full of budget money.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/20/22 1:59 a.m.

Andrew Pinkerton, aka "Pinkie", may be the quickest driver that you have never heard of until now.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zsJlrrEpMQJFZmT4xFWql5pD0JyPrzsOrQgvlKLahmgEW9rYonv0Aw9mHPXEzEPN