AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/20 8:09 a.m.

what are the differences between the RWD Northstars as used in SRX and XLR , compared to the FWD versions used in everything else?

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/20 8:32 a.m.

In for discussion because I have a very challenge friendly sts-v blower and am keeping an eye out for a cheap rwd n*

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/28/20 8:37 a.m.

Northstar sounds great with less mufflers. And the fed version uses the metric bellhousing pattern. 

All i know. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yeah and speedway motors has an adapter to put the metric pattern to standard chevy pattern, and there is a chevy midplate for tri five chevy that has the starter mount on it.  I also have a chevy manual bellhousing with starter on it(and a 3 speed) that cost me $25 so theoretically if i can find the right flywheel or make one i could rwd any old northstar 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/28/20 11:51 a.m.

Based on what I've been reading, they resolved most if not all of the issues from the old FWD northstars. VVT is only used on the STS, XLR, and SRX northstars. Later Northstars have a different headbolts that alleviated the headgasket issue.

Still has the metric pattern as mentioned above . . . .  60* V6 4l60e bellhousing + FabBot's Kit + colorado/soltice transmission = manual goodness.

There's a guy on the CTS-V FB group that is building a T56 AWD SRX using a supercharged Northstar.

After riding in a LC3 powered STS, I almost wanted to trade in my CTS-V.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/28/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

What's the cut off for those later fixed head bolts?  Also I assume any metric NS will bolt up fine to say a metric 700R4.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/28/20 1:03 p.m.

Fuzzy memory says 2005 or 6 was the start of the fixed head bolts.

Remember, the starter in in the valley. Guys back in the day just cut a hole in the bellhousing and welded it shut if there was interference.

Old Northstart and 700r4

Here's the setup of the T56 being used in the AWD SRX.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
4/28/20 1:59 p.m.
Strike_Zero said:

Based on what I've been reading, they resolved most if not all of the issues from the old FWD northstars. VVT is only used on the STS, XLR, and SRX northstars. Later Northstars have a different headbolts that alleviated the headgasket issue.

Still has the metric pattern as mentioned above . . . .  60* V6 4l60e bellhousing + FabBot's Kit + colorado/soltice transmission = manual goodness.

There's a guy on the CTS-V FB group that is building a T56 AWD SRX using a supercharged Northstar.

After riding in a LC3 powered STS, I almost wanted to trade in my CTS-V.

Those STS-V's are quite a nice sled.  They just go and go!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
4/28/20 6:52 p.m.

All rwd northstars are more powerful. Fwd northstars made a max of 300hp. Regular rwd versions make 320 hp. Supercharged versions are 440hp in the xlrv and 469 in the stsv.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
4/28/20 8:17 p.m.

I actually had no idea Northstar went that long. I thought V8 SRXs were LS.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/28/20 8:58 p.m.

If it uses the v6 60 degree bell housing you can just bolt up a 98 to 02 v6 camaro wc t5 for a trans.

Might not last forever, but it should be easy using stock gm parts.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/20 2:52 p.m.

FWIW, the first two years of XLR production have very cheap to acquire engines.  This is because they are only useful if you have an XLR.  The computers have not been hacked, and there were sensor changes made that you cannot just swap in a later computer.

I was finding complete XLR engine/computer dropouts for $1000 and wondered what the deal was.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
4/29/20 3:02 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

All rwd northstars are more powerful. Fwd northstars made a max of 300hp. Regular rwd versions make 320 hp. Supercharged versions are 440hp in the xlrv and 469 in the stsv.

Probably more due to the transmissions they were mated with than anything else. Chevy de-tuned the 3.4L DOHC TDC engine supposedly because it ate the transmissions available at full power. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with the northstar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2TloV6n9dfXuNjD6h0p7HWELE6Bo46Y11odeDL94jjlOPKwaLmxmBsnXxLacUnJn