bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/20 9:19 p.m.

Someone I know traded his range Rover for it. He is an urban guy who I do not believe would own a pair of boots. So I am not sure what the point of buying a tractor would be. I get the sense that maybe he does not realize that it is meant to be utilitarian, and not an upscale mall crawler.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
11/6/20 9:37 p.m.

I worked at a Land Rover dealer in the late aughts, and we sold a used 94 (95?) defender on consignment. Within a few days the buyer sent it in for service complaining it was loud, harsh, and difficult to handle on the freeway. We had to try and convince the guy that it is literally what he paid for, and should have expected. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/20 9:43 p.m.

Does it really matter? All LR Jaguar is doing is rehashing the same vehicle over and over again with a slight different body and interior.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/7/20 7:28 a.m.

Saw one on the highway the other day.  Once the "oh man, a new vehicle" novelty wore off, i realized how hideous it was.  I went home and hugged my Land Cruiser.  

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
11/7/20 7:42 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

Does it really matter? All LR Jaguar is doing is rehashing the same vehicle over and over again with a slight different body and interior.  

And your point is? laugh

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/20 7:56 a.m.

I drove one a couple of months ago. Its not the same as a Series ll from the 50s ... Its a really good mall crawler and will be used like many of the new Broncos coming out whether you like it or not. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/20 11:25 a.m.

I thought that is was quite a step down from a Range Rover to something with an interior designed to be washed out with a garden hose.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/20 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Something tells me these will spend more time at the dealer than the mall...

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/7/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

What do you mean? smiley

Land Rover Defender at dealer

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/7/20 7:41 p.m.

I've seen a few around here in the past few weeks. All of them have had the exterior gear-box things on the rear window and the strange little ladder on the other side, both of which I personally think look moronic and will absolutely never be used by the middle-aged suburban women driving them, I don't imagine. 

IDK anything about them but assume they are pretty capable offroad. That said, I will color myself shocked if I ever run into one on any local ORV trails. 

As far as looks go, I'm not sure if I like them or not, but will give them credit for doing a reasonable retro-mod of the old ones. At least they don't look like every single other crossover driving around here. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/8/20 6:21 a.m.

I saw an old school d90 yesterday and had intense want. I seriously want to buy an 80s LR Safari for cheapish and LS swap it......

I have zero interest in the new model as it looks like a new generation LR3. Stick a new nameplate on it and cause mass histeria.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/8/20 1:21 p.m.

I happen to have driven the new Defender off road and it's pretty capable. I like how it is but ultimately, I wish this was named the "Discovery" rather than the Defender. If you compare the LR3/4 and Defender it just looks meant to be but I'm not complaining either way. I've been scouting reddit/forums and people are doing fine with their Defenders. I know the TFL video looks bad, but its a sample size of one. I feel like these are teething problems right now but we'll see in the future. Hoping to buy a 3 year old one for half price in the future.

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
11/8/20 6:16 p.m.

Saw one in the McDonald's drive through presumably as the owner was driving home from buying it. 

Surprise Surprise he drove around the line waiting to order and cut in, cut 15ish cars... 

All in all they look like someone designed a 4 door wrangler for someone who drives BMWs and stuck it on a mini van chassis. It was the Tanish brown one so at least the color was nice. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/20 9:09 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I saw an old school d90 yesterday and had intense want. I seriously want to buy an 80s LR Safari for cheapish and LS swap it......

I have zero interest in the new model as it looks like a new generation LR3. Stick a new nameplate on it and cause mass histeria.

Or spend 10% of the price and get something that's as good/better in most ways, and which most people will mistake for a D90 :)

(true story: last weekend was wheeling with some friends and some friends-of-friends. At the end of the day two women who were in the group told me how much they loved my "old Land Rover")

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/20 10:33 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Or spend 10% of the price and get something that's as good/better in most ways, and which most people will mistake for a D90 :)

But the whole point of these is to make sure people KNOW you spent that 100%.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/9/20 10:45 a.m.

Around here D90 or the real deal D110 command $75-$150K. Local people DO know what they are. Drive around Malibu, and you will see NAS D90 Yellow and white D110 street parked next to F40 and Enzo and Maranello. 

Those people don't want to "associate" themselves with lease specials "new money" LR owners.  They pay $150K for a CA legal plated G300D Glandewaggen instead of a G550 at their local dealer. 

In these areas, having the exclusivity is what people crave.  When Arnold got his H1, and everyone else got one, he moved on to Unimogs and other things. 

You don't "one up the guy" by buying something at the local dealer. 

Around here only people "impressed" by our old land cruisers, monteros, nissan patrols, are caucasian hipsters, who spend more money on their avacadao toast and hashtag van life all day, then in their 529 or 401ks...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khHE43g5wROMs2WV3EDQJDMlCHdZgzCj7RJew6rdxKdO6GA4l9gymgGouXlu9Omo