SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/19 1:07 p.m.

We have a lot of threads on this site about lifts. I’ve been reading all of them for the last few days. 

I’m ready to buy a portable scissor lift. Some of our threads are a little dated, and I’m wondering if there is any new information or products. 

I want the ability to lift my truck, so 6600 lb is better than 6000  lb

The threads mention the BendPak, the Atlas, the Dannmar, and the Titan. The consensus on the threads appears to lean toward the Titan.

The  Bendpak is the name brand, but I’m surprised at how many complaints I am seeing in our threads.

I'm not interested in a Harbor Freight or other oddball knock-off.  My head is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

The Atlas appears to have 7 different safety stops, and a remote safety engagement.  This beats the BendPak in my book.

The Dannmar and the Titan appears to have the same features as the Atlas, with the Titan seeming to win out on service  

I’m in Columbia SC. Titan doesn’t have a dealership near me. 

What am I missing??

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/19 1:30 p.m.

Scissor me timbers!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/19 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Do I earn any points having made many joints like that?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/15/19 1:39 p.m.

Subbed. 

I keep looking for a cheap used one myself.....

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/15/19 9:41 p.m.

I'll be following this, a scissor lift is the best option for my garage and the work I do regularly.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/19 9:54 a.m.

Watching with much interest.  8 foot ceiling in garage, so I am a bit limited.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/19 2:38 p.m.

There's a GRM Live! Video that compares some of the options from a few months back. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/19 5:09 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Where are those?

Ive never seen them. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/16/19 5:17 p.m.

I have two Bend Pak MD-6XP scissor lifts. One I bought new over 10 years ago and the other I bought off this forum a few years ago. No complaints other than a remote safety release would be nice.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/16/19 5:45 p.m.

found this article.

I sort of found the GRM live video but it kept looping the first 10 secs.  Weird site too.

also found it on tubes of you and the same looping thing.  I guess the live stuff is just that live and not recorded.  I dunno.

smiley

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/19 6:15 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

That article doesn’t offer much help with scissor lifts

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/17/19 8:40 a.m.

Comparing the specs between the Atlas, Danmar and Titan, the 6600 lb Titan looks good. Titan is the only one that offers a 6600 lbs version. It appears to go a bit higher than the 6000 lb models as well by a few inches.  I agree the limited number of safety stops my Bendpaks have is occasionally a nuisance, but it's never bothered me too much.  The lack of a remote safety release is more annoying, especially when I don't lift a car very high and I have to crawl underneath to release it. 

DenisCesel
DenisCesel New Spammer
1/31/20 1:08 p.m.

Dude, firstly you have to know that to use canoe lifts you have to have a license for high-risk canoe work, which includes operating paddles over 11 millimeters high. Paddles less than 11 millimeters high and all canoe lifts do not require a license. However, ACH requires operators to demonstrate that they have a level of competency in operating these EPWs. I recommend you to visit [your local canoe factory] to get this license and have the ability to use such lifts. That is a very useful thing.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/31/20 2:40 p.m.

I really like my full rise Atlas,flush to the concrete when down and spaced 31" apart for full access for trans/exhaust/whatever work.

Also use it as a motorcycle lift as well,btw its not fully raised in the picture.

Lifts 6'-6" I think.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Can you tell me more about how the install went, and what model that is? I currently have a mid-eighties 4" slab in my garage.

The only flush atlas lift I found was this one-https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/FM9SL-In-Ground-Lift?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvc_xBRCYARIsAC5QT9kil-RChBYpKFGEhwNto2lfT7W0OdGMToVpQTr70pgZ-r6VvTyxVAcaAlZrEALw_wcB 

But it has a ift height of 6' 1" I think I'd want something in the 6' 6" or higher range so I don't conk my head on an A arm at full droop. 

EDIT: Instruction manual has a height of 85", but looks like it owuld have to be placed 13" deep in concrete to be flush...yours doesn't appear to be that deep. I is confuzzled. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/31/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

I want to do that so badly but I can't justify the cost vs a 4 or 2 post. It's so clean though. I drool over that kind of setup every time I see a Garage Journal thread on someone putting one in.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/31/20 6:58 p.m.

Don't remember the model # off the too of my head,its just a scissor lift not inground.

It came with bolt on folding ramps for driving onto it,I didn't use them preferring to recess the plateforms instead.

Its only about 4.5" thick when closed,I formed the hole for it before pouring the entire concrete floor keeping the recess monolithic and max strenght.

Its drained so no problem if spraying off a vehicle etc.

Install was ok,I have a conduit off the end of the recess to the back wall where the control is,its a different configuration of lines then allowed for so new lines where made as required.

Its alot more $$ then a 2 post but so much nicer then posts in the way when not needed.

I've worked with a 4 post at a buddies and hate it for just about every job,maybe fine with a full size truck but way to wide and awkward with honda sized cars.

My set offers far more usable space down the center as well.

I've had my nissan titan on it,its not great at full lift with that much weight as the unsupported end of the plateform deflects a fair bit as the truck frame loads the inner corners.

I think a 4" I beam across the 2 pads would solve that though.

Bikes work well with it too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LaZvx3P6O39HfFugo27BLA1rT73TeHZfAdp3V5LMv4QOwJJaVGoJ900cIWkzBbSk