Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/14/22 11:00 a.m.
feature_image

Peg your jeans and load up that Kate Bush cassette, we’re heading back to Radwood–this time as part of the Lake Mirror Classic Concours & Car Show, October 14-16.

Come hang out with GRM and our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera project car–MCS bike from ’84 and all–for the low price of free.

Check out the project car …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/22 11:06 a.m.

Yes, come, we can hang and discuss the important things in life life Vans, BMX and punk rock.

A good friend is bringing his 993 Turbo so you'll kinda get a two-fer.

David S. Wallens
9/14/22 4:17 p.m.

So, the details. 

Even though it's an evening event, figured maybe this would be a good excuse to get some new sunglasses. My Wayfarers are probably 15 years old, and I've been wearing Ray-Bans for a long, long time. 

But what about Oakley Frogskins? I had a pair when they came out–a benefit of working for a bike shop that was an Oakley dealer.

So I did some poking around last night. Frogskins didn't come out until 1985, so a year too new for this outing. laugh

David S. Wallens
9/14/22 7:39 p.m.

Another detail just ordered. And one is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. 

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 4:46 p.m.

The latest on the Radwood prep: How important is period-correctness to you?

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 4:46 p.m.

And I gotta admit, seeing Huntington on the back of the Porsche brings up all kinds of feels. That's home

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 4:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, the details. 

Even though it's an evening event, figured maybe this would be a good excuse to get some new sunglasses. My Wayfarers are probably 15 years old, and I've been wearing Ray-Bans for a long, long time. 

But what about Oakley Frogskins? I had a pair when they came out–a benefit of working for a bike shop that was an Oakley dealer.

So I did some poking around last night. Frogskins didn't come out until 1985, so a year too new for this outing. laugh

But if the Porsche was built in 1984, it was still around in 1985. Frogskins are allowed :)

I wear them when driving the 1985 CRX because I am that cool.

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes but I'm going for 1984. smiley

Keith Tanner
9/19/22 5:19 p.m.

I guess you're gonna have to pop for Porsche Designs.

https://www.porsche-design.com/us/en/porsche-design-shop/shop/eyewear/sunglasses/aviator-sunglasses/p8400-sunglasses-p8478/

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 8:21 p.m.

Not sure I'm that cool. 

Keith Tanner
9/19/22 9:54 p.m.

You have a 911 in 1984. You have to be that cool. 

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 10:13 p.m.

Not sure I got 695 bones. :) 

Also debating which Vans to wear. Costume change on the hour? 

Keith Tanner
9/20/22 12:32 a.m.

You have an air cooled 911, it'll appreciate by that much during the show :) I did find a lot of lower priced ones that were not being sold new by Porsche, of course.

If you want to be super cool, you get a set of knockoffs that fold like the Ferarri (sic) ones I had around that time. 

David S. Wallens
9/20/22 9:25 a.m.

The (harsh) reality is that the show starts at 6 p.m. Sunset is at 6:59 that day....

David S. Wallens
9/20/22 1:18 p.m.

So, back to period-correct license plates. My friend is showing his car, too, and it's a 1996.

Found the right plate for him.

The price?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VmfSbNDRWulqnSfDUVCB5J2zMqj9WeZ5d52ht7MklQxk0DKZZdyTOsbBYD6GfEgh