Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/12/22 2:10 p.m.

The kid has a 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, not high miles (maybe 50,000 km/30,000 mi?), with a weird noise. It's a cross between a rattle and a tingle, and it happens at 2000 rpm and when shifting into Drive, and possibly at other times too. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine area; I heard it from outside the driver's door.

It's not loud, but it's not right, either. Can the hive point me to a good diagnostic path?

TIA.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
5/12/22 3:03 p.m.

My Xterra did this. Check out this TSB. Ignore that the year range is for old vehicles, as mine was a 2012 and was affected.  I bet this fixes it. 

https://dokumen.tips/documents/ntb05-015b.html?page=1

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/12/22 9:25 p.m.

Well that's cool: less than hour to get an excellent possibility! Thank you! I will pass this on.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
5/13/22 10:40 a.m.

No problem. That's why this forum is awesome. There's enough people that wrench on thier own vehicles here that you can usually find the answer to weird issues. 

Its way louder than you'd ever think possible for a valve inside the intake to be. Clearly noticeable from inside the car.....even louder with windows down. Mine was mostly on deceleration at low speeds, like approaching a stop light, right in the 2,000 rpm range. 

Following the instructions with the glue completely resolved mine. I was very skeptical it was the source of the noise until doing the repair fixed it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/22 3:22 p.m.

In reply to TGMF :

This forum does rock. Thank you, TGMF, for the help there. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/13/22 8:13 p.m.

My 2007 has a tingle also, sounds rear of transmission, I wrote it off as Cat cover tin loose.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmds8XC7FXBtedU0u3bjIizMM1zFRtkmC2axGE9CbT3bjXgwA5MUTOH1ZsIRj4ZL