1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/6/20 3:14 p.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Cool!

Although, that original livery on the box art has me searching ebay. A Mazda with Ford logos? Sign me up laugh

Today I lost the tiny piece that represents the oil filler tube on the valve cover. So, I made a new one out of plastic rod, cut it off, and then dropped it on the floor and lost it as well. So, I made another one but this time, I got smart. I glued it into place while still attached to the styrene rod. Now I just have to figure out how to cut it without breaking it free and losing it again. laugh

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/6/20 3:53 p.m.

I didn't really even look at the box art! laugh I was just looking for the cheapest one with a white body for the Finish Line decals. They also have boxings for the green and Day Glo red Charge car and a fluorescent pink and yellow one. I've been buying kits like this from Japanese shops on eBay. It takes a few weeks to get the kit, but it's cheaper than a lot of alternatives. 

Well done on the engine. I'm constantly losing parts to the carpet monster.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/6/20 3:56 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I have yet to try it, but I saw a pic of a model railroad guy using a chef's bib that he anchored the bottom of to the edge of his work bench. He said nothing reached the floor.I know I would forget to de-anchor it and pull the bench after me when I got upsurprise

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/6/20 5:04 p.m.

I’ve had this metal bodied Model A for years.  Will have to see if I have enough time in the next few weeks to turn it into something that doesn’t look like a refugee from an early-90’s car show.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/20 6:04 p.m.

Because some one has to build this (not going to be me)

https://www.amazon.com/Aoshima-Scale-Model-Nb8C-Roadster/dp/B0859JMD9J/ref=sr_1_294?crid=S1C1BLKBNZOS&dchild=1&keywords=plastic+car+model+kits&qid=1586213732&sprefix=plastic+car+model%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-294

I am torn between a Porsche 934 RSR 'Martini Racing' or a C7 R Corvette Race Car.  

I have not put one of these together since I was a little kid.  I am kind of excited to try this.  I will need to order glue and paint and everything in one shot but hay what can go wrong.  LOL

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/6/20 7:00 p.m.

I feel like I'm in way over my head. Wish me luck. Now do I go Nigel Mansel or Gerhard Berger?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/20 7:11 p.m.

For those of you that are wanting to learn how to build a model car, here's three how-to's I did last year:

There's also a ton of info in this restoration video:

Hopefully those can help some of you.

I'm super excited to see all these cars come together!

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/6/20 7:19 p.m.

I'm doing a Monogram Aerovette I picked up at a junkstore this summer.  I'll post pics when I figure out how...

Mostly I'm doing it to prove to myself that I can actually complete a kit.  "The price of perfection is prohibitive" is my new mantra.  Or, "Perfect is the enemy of finished."

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/6/20 7:46 p.m.

I don't know if I'm capable of doing this. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

You can do it. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/6/20 7:56 p.m.

How'd I do? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/20 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Perfect. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/6/20 8:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Perfect. 

Fooled ya. That's paper. Lol I'm quick (that's what she said), but not that quick. 

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
4/6/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Sweet! Now on to the plastic version. You can do eet!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/20 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Benswen :

Nice minis in the background!

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
4/6/20 8:28 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Love me some Mini! You'll be posting a video how to mask the roof to create the Union Jack, right?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/6/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Aoshima kits build well. If you are a new kit builder this is a good one to start with.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/6/20 9:05 p.m.

Parts box score! A set of wheel faces that look almost perfect for the "LAT" option wheels on a Tiger. Too many lugs and I need to discard the fake knockoff nuts, but this is great. I have no idea what kit they came from....Color bad in pic, that towel is very blue.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/6/20 9:06 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Aoshima kits build well. If you are a new kit builder this is a good one to start with.

I'm not new, but it's been 20 plus years since I've built a model. 

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
4/6/20 10:10 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Oooohhh.  That just made me think.... I really want to do a 935.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/20 11:13 p.m.

It's been probably more than 30 years but I will give this a try.   In getting my WFH space situated in the basement I found my bin of unbuilt kits.  Most are military models but I did find this one that I started in High School before girlfriend's were a thing. 

I am going to have to strip the body, it's metal so should not be too bad, and finish the detail painting.  It looks like there is only one part missing, a small piece that goes between the tail lights, hopefully I can come up with something to fill it.  

the side windows have yellowed a little, any tips on maybe cleaning those up?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/7/20 6:47 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

I don't know if I'm capable of doing this. 

So I have a few questions for the good modelers in the house. On my Delica I planned to do a two tone to match my real world Delica. However I didn't buy white paint thinking that the body molded in white should be good enough. I was most likely wrong. Was I? Beyond that you can see that the body has the black surrounding the side windows and wraps around the front windshield. Should I paint the upper half blue like my Delica, and then mask it off for the black? Or just say screw it and leave it all white? 

Will
Will UltraDork
4/7/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Unpainted plastic tends to stand out. It won't look nearly as good as white paint.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/7/20 7:06 a.m.

How I want to paint the model. It's slightly different from my van as mine is pre face-lift, isn't the high roof and has the black/grey belt line molding. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/20 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I vote for masking and painting.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b5VTFRxZbuGaEUYOuJU96PJhmpZ6T70EIOaWuxQCHngOqnn1bobUBR6f9TCaD8aF