1 2 3 ... 16
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/20 4:28 p.m.

Shall we have a little internet model car show? Pick any kit you'd like and post a photo of it unbuilt and then get to work! Share in progress if you want. In two weeks on Saturday the 18th put your finished photos up.

I will send a new kit to one random participant to make it interesting!

And... Go!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/4/20 5:28 p.m.

Do it. We can showcase somecase of the top builds on the site. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/4/20 6:00 p.m.

For chrismahaunakka this year my landlord who is a huge model airplane geek, got me (the car guy) and my roommate (the motorcycle guy) models, me this Ferrari F189 and the other guy a YZFR1. I've never built a car model before so it's sitting on my shelf. Might have to figure out how this model building thing works.

4/4/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Tamiya makes great kits!

This is something I could get excited about. I haven't built anything in a few months. Let me see look through my kit stash.

Hopefully we can get a few guys on board to make it fun.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/4/20 8:02 p.m.

I really don't build quickly enough, and have 20+ builds in progress, two of which I worked on earlier today, but what the hell !! I will open another box, and build it nearly stock. AMT Sunbeam Tiger here I come....

4/4/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That's the spirit!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/4/20 8:24 p.m.

Ah heck, I'm in. Gotta go through the stash and find one that I haven't started yet... laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/4/20 10:07 p.m.

The Tiger is a compromised mold. You can  see on the underside of the bonnet where the gun port was when it was the "Get Smart" Alpine with retractable gun.....And the inner fenders in front leave the engine room vastly too large. Real Tiger mechanics should be so lucky! Picture has a blue line approx where I will build the filler panel(s) in. The interior bucket is too shallow too, but we're going to live with that for this build, as the detail is pretty good.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/5/20 2:30 a.m.

Almost picked the SVO Mustang, but that has a few engine parts painted already, so technically it's been started already. A Nascar kit could work, but I'm not sure I want to dive into one of those right now. So here we go! A 5.0 notch will do nicely! I built a few AMT Mustangs back in the day, but this one is a more recent release from Revell.

Here she is, still in the bags.

I'm going to stick close to box-stock here, but I might try some different wheels and tires on it. Who knows.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/5/20 10:55 a.m.

Slowbird's pictures don't show for mesad Meanwhile I have all of the body parts attached, the molded closed front valence holes opened, and holes for bonnet hinges that the kit does not have. Also a filler panel in the fire wall recess that lingers from the "Get Smart" kit. Off to primer and while that cures I will build an engine and instrument panel. The glove bin is to shallow. Pictures show the body work and the 2 Avantis I mixed the color for. Neither of those are fully clear coat/ rubbed out yet.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/5/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Fixed! I made the mistake of hotlinking them from Google Photos the first time.

Interesting details on that Sunbeam kit. I have one of those from the re-issue, I'll have to look out for those flaws if/when I build it.

4/5/20 2:25 p.m.

Bodywork started

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/20 4:51 p.m.

Can I just submit the 1:32 scale Vette I just completed? The project I'm on now has no chance of being done that quickly.

I pulled back from this one to be honest. I have a real neat VW Rabbit kit I would like to build next, but I don't know if I can build one to suit me in 13 days. I'm a little slower than that.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/5/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I hear you on that! The only Rabbit kit I have is the AMT one, and I hacked it up a long time ago. The Tiger has relatively few parts to help the speed along. The stopper for me will be humidity and the related painting problems. If it stays humid when I need to clear coat I'm screwed.

I think it's a pretty sweet kit.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/20 5:15 p.m.

I have this version. But if rather not do it up quick when I'm in the middle of a serious build.

4/5/20 5:28 p.m.

Don't take it too seriously fellas. If you have a primered half done car at the "end" so be it! You don't have to finish to win, but you do have to enter wink

It's just supposed to be something fun to pass the time and encourage each other.

4/5/20 7:14 p.m.

Progress!

rollinchicane
rollinchicane New Reader
4/5/20 7:54 p.m.

Too late to joinin the fun?  Found this Miata kit I bought years ago and certainly have some time on my hands these days.

4/5/20 7:56 p.m.

In reply to rollinchicane :

Nope, hop on in!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/5/20 8:26 p.m.

Such an awesome collection of kits. Can't wait to see them come together. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/5/20 8:29 p.m.

Back in the early to mid 1970's during junior high when we built a lot of kits we were brand snobs.  

AMT or MPC brands were preferred and we felt Revell was  at the lower end of the kits. (We were not aware of the Japanese brands - just what Kmart, Zayres, or the local hobby shop sold). 

I'll see what I still have in storage to build. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/5/20 8:32 p.m.

Having never done this before I have questions.

I don't have any glue. I've heard of people using MEK to melt the plastics together. I have gallons of MEKP. Same thing, or do I need to go buy glue?

What sort of paint do you use on a model?

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YuIubD9ZYV56Up6ekEH8JOFMYhgig8AQJHzZ9TvTwweO6qbv0aiAolrD2xjZ8bIa