1 2 3 ... 7
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/28/17 4:04 a.m.

Baby Driver comes out today (the 28th) and I think you guys will like it.

I doubled Baby as his driving double and can vouch that the driving is all practical and what you see is what we shot.

I think the opening chase is the best and unfortunately a cool bit was cut from the final sequence but there is good stuff throughout. Of course, using The Answer would have made it even better but you can't have it all.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/28/17 5:03 a.m.

Really?!?! Cool!

I'm a sucker for hero car-driver movies!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/28/17 5:17 a.m.

Yeah between that and the Channing Tatum movie I think those'll be my summer movie trips. Could care less about comic book movies. Cool story on your role in the movie. A 'Scooby Doo' was the modus hooniganus I believe?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
6/28/17 5:42 a.m.

Seeing it today. Been waiting to see it since hearing about it at SXSW

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/28/17 5:42 a.m.

Saw the first commercial for the movie and thought "Lame" then daughter mentions it has like 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Rolling Stone. Supposedly more about the tunes than the driving or plot. I plan on watching young "Mozart in a Go-Kart" in action this week-end.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 6:16 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

Very cool! I'm not a moviegoer, but this one is definitely on my must-watch list.

Was there any unusual/cool prep done to the cars for the chase scenes?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/17 6:47 a.m.

You can't drop a nugget like that and not give us some more info.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/17 6:53 a.m.
bluej wrote: You can't drop a nugget like that and not give us some more info.

Amen!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 6:54 a.m.

It's NOT the movie with this guy.
It's the movie with THIS guy:

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/28/17 9:28 a.m.
jfryjfry wrote: Baby Driver comes out today (the 28th) and I think you guys will like it. I doubled Baby as his driving double and can vouch that the driving is all practical and what you see is what we shot. I think the opening chase is the best and unfortunately a cool bit was cut from the final sequence but there is good stuff throughout. Of course, using The Answer would have made it even better but you can't have it all.

Okay, yeah, you don't get to make a post this short on this subject. so, do this:

Email me immediately for the love of god so we can get you on the live show sometime soon (jg@grassrootsmotorsports.com). This also lets me expense my movie ticket as legit work, so it's kind of win-win.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/28/17 10:04 a.m.

I am kind of wanting this to be the next "Italian Job". A formative movie in my life that has not been bested with anything since in the genre.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
6/28/17 10:10 a.m.

I had pretty much zero intention on seeing it until I heard that all the driving is "real" and it was directed by Edgar Wright. I'm certainly a little interested now...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 10:16 a.m.

How can you see the AWD bootlegger turn at 1:43 and not want to see this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z2z857RSfhk?rel=0

Also, I know the previews are cut by a different group, but the editing at 2:00 is fantastic.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/28/17 10:29 a.m.

Jamie Foxx sure points that shotgun at Baby a lot. Also where can I get those safety glasses @2:10?

I've heard a lot of good things about the production and stunt driving work in this one. It'd be fun to go see something completely detached. I'm about over being pounded by moral messages in my entertainment.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/28/17 10:32 a.m.

need to find a babysitter, I have been telling my wife for weeks I want to go see it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/28/17 10:48 a.m.

The only reason I had any hesitation about this movie was the god-awful title.
Just so happens I have today off, might drop in to the first showing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 10:59 a.m.

Was on the fence about seeing this in the theatre, now I've decided! I'll keep an eye out for your face!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/17 11:21 a.m.

Well it is defensively on the to see list now.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/28/17 11:24 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Funny enough, as this is not a huge-budget movie, they did not employ face-replacement much. Maybe just in one shot in the challenger.

Darkening the area around the driver, adding lens flares, etc were methods used. And for the rest, my pals have commented on how they can easily pick me out :)

Tldr: You actually can see my made-for-radio mug.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/28/17 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

Ahh prep! Yes, just about every car in it has some level of prep. Right out of the gate we ask for a good ebrake which generally means an in-line hydraulic. A separate system with dedicated calipers is preferred but is $$ compared to an inline.

But some of the cars were bone stock. The Saturns (we had 2) were stock.

We had a locker put in the avalanche but after several takes something happened to the truck (can't remember if the rear end broke or what) and I ended up doing the wall-ride with a stock truck. Had to go faster (which was better in the end) to get on the wall and keep the momentum.

The challengers were srt8's with an ebrake on one of them.

The s550's also had an ebrake which wasn't used for anything you see on film but some stuff was cut. It also is very helpful when stopping at high speeds in reverse.

Reverse corner speeds in anything are pretty slow but we were up to 50 in a straight line in the last sequence.

The subbies got the most love and held up really well. We had one that got some nice goodies including sti trans, cusco diffs, and put out about 300hp

The subbie chase had 4 people in it and most of what we did was shot with 4 adults in the car so it really got abused.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

Love it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/28/17 12:21 p.m.

I asked my Subbie friends last night if we needed a group outting. Apparently the Columbus OH Sub group is doing one, but that's a 4hr round-trip for a movie on a work night...

One thing/question I've seen pop up, people are claiming the Subarus had to have been made RWD for the stunts? Doesn't sound like it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 12:24 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I asked my Subbie friends last night if we needed a group outting. Apparently the Columbus OH Sub group is doing one, but that's a 4hr round-trip for a movie on a work night... One thing/question I've seen pop up, people are claiming the Subarus had to have been made RWD for the stunts? Doesn't sound like it.

Just watch the trailer, it's pretty clearly still AWD.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/17 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

As a big Subbie guy, I can tell you most Subbie guys are really clueless about cars, but they sure like to pretend.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/28/17 12:52 p.m.

And we've made contact with jfryjfry. Looks like we'll get him on the show in the next couple weeks when we can get scheduled confirmed. Everyone go see the movie now so we can discuss spoilers.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEdhfFYuUQcOJbVHqNaU38ygNFlpUWMrgTQLXdylrXEW4oAtxxdkNb2gTh1HxcPX