1 2
a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/11 3:34 p.m.

Agree. the Germans did it in the '50's. IMO though, the big 3 don't do anything until they are forced to. European car companies like Mercedes were not run by bean counters.

It's interesting to note though that an EFI made by Bendix was actually available in the '58 or 9 Chrysler letter series...the one with the 392 Hemi. It was a massive failure.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
11/11/11 3:45 p.m.

I've autox'd one and I wouldn't change a thing. It doesn't FEEL like a two-ton car.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/11/11 3:47 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
a401cj wrote: I'm no big fan of big brother but the fact is we'd still be driving cars with carburetors were it not for EPA and CAFE standards.
I'm not too sure about that - I was driving fuel injected cars long before the big three were forced into adding it. The germans did it because it was awesome and they love mechanical whiz-bangery - not because they had to. I would like a CR diesel truck that didn't blow the cylinders out of my jacks when I rotate tires for certain.

GM had fuelie vettes in the 50s and 60s

edit: Seems Chevrolet and Pontiac both offered fuel injection on other cars in the 50s, but it wasn't a popular option and was dropped, then in the 70s Cadillac started using fuel injection.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/11/11 3:57 p.m.
a401cj wrote: Agree. the Germans did it in the '50's. IMO though, the big 3 don't do anything until they are forced to. European car companies like Mercedes were not run by bean counters. It's interesting to note though that an EFI made by Bendix was actually available in the '58 or 9 Chrysler letter series...the one with the 392 Hemi. It was a massive failure.

Jags had mech injection very early too. Pontiac Tempest had it as some option in the 60s IIRC.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQ5ZHLvq8S7XokaBaDUgAuVYJLEkTCrfUNHxUPfD6NLVAYJBNgSHn5b793eIoq2n