1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/10 1:03 p.m.

Has anyone shipped a large item by bus or with a moving company? I've heard stories about alternative shipping options, but I don't really know what's involved with it.

Thanks to a link from Per and some help from Friedgreencorrado, I'm getting Formula Ford body for my Formula GRM project. Total price is, approximately: Free.

Photobucket

But, I need to transport it from Georgia to Connecticut. Any suggestions? Bus company? Moving company? Anything else?

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
1/18/10 1:10 p.m.

shipping/freight companys ?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/10 1:12 p.m.

Conrail. The cheapest way to ship a pallet across the US is on a trail. The caveat is that you have to go to the trail yard and drop it off, and then go to the train yard to pick it up. Here in Pittsburgh, we actually went downtown with the pallet in the back of a van. They would grab it with a forklift and off it went. My sister would pick it up in San Francisco, and the guys would drop it right in her van with another forklift. Nothing is cheaper for something big and heavy. However, it must fit on a standard pallet.

FedEx has a myriad of options that you have never heard of. Call them up and explain your situation to them and get their advice. They can ship anything if the price is right. I have shipped really odd things with them and they are really helpful. They do a lot more than overnight envelopes.

My parents are driving from Florida to Pittsburgh in a van later this week. Will it fit in a full-size Chevy? I can get it 3/4 of the way to CT.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/18/10 1:14 p.m.

It could be easiest for you to drive down and pick it up, although not the cheapest option. i suggest you contact a shipping company down there, a freight company such as yellow, and ask them whom they suggest that pack the item. Tell them what your situation is and they might know someone to do the work for you.

Basically because the item is large and somewhat fragile, but mostly because of size, its hard to pack and ship it in the traditional way. Your going to need someone to pack it onto a pallet, and ship it to you. The way I'd pack it if it were me shipping it, I'd stand it on its end, and add cushions at the bottom and top of it, then build a support frame from 2x4 around it, and somewhat under the front/top section of it, to better support the piece.

is there someone on here in Georgia that you can get to pack it for you? I'm sure someone would be nice enough.

Andrew

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
1/18/10 1:16 p.m.

I've heard you can just wrap it in bubble wrap & send it via greyhound (although I wouldnt recommend it)

Figure out the dimensions & box it up. You can ship it via freight carrier even though its not on a pallet.

freightquote.com is good start if you know the details (size, weight, etc)

You might also try uship.com. There might be a transporter with a partial load.

Kendall

RicHerber
RicHerber New Reader
1/18/10 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I've shipped several large R/C planes via Greyhound. I built a crate for the plane to fit into and there was a maximum length they will accept. I think it was 71" but you might want to call them. The shipping costs were relatively cheap.

Good luck!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/18/10 1:55 p.m.
  1. I'm in GA.
  2. I've got a pickup with an 8' bed.
  3. I'm unemployed.
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/18/10 2:00 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: 1. I'm in GA. 2. I've got a pickup with an 8' bed. 3. I'm unemployed.
  1. And you're gonna have to pass by a BUNCH of cool GRMers to get there.
Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/18/10 2:04 p.m.

How big is the shipping package, overall? If it's under 100 pounds and smaller than 30" x 47" x 82" you can ship it with Greyhound. I've never heard of anybody cheaper than Greyhound for something relatively light and bulky (such as bodywork). It's less than $100 from Atlanta to Hartford even at the biggest size they'll ship!

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Bryce

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/18/10 2:17 p.m.

Why not the GRM "bro-network"... if it can somehow get reasonably close to Philly, I can get it half-way to CT. Seems like there is enough of us on this board that we can get a body like that from GA to CT without any one person having to drive too much.

otherwise, the delivery costs could murder your challenge budget...

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/10 4:51 p.m.

hmmm I'm thinking about snagging an engine from wheels, maybe I could get someone to run things on the return trip... sorry for the thread jack...

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
1/18/10 5:26 p.m.

I use freightquote.com

Companies will bid for your pkg.

Doesn't have to be on a pallet. It can be a crate, bundle, etc.

I have a link to freight classes somewhere. Get creative, the lower the class the cheaper apparently.

I ship locost frames as "motorcycle parts, noi"

Choose drop off and pick up at terminal for the cheapest price.

Good luck,

James

peter
peter New Reader
1/18/10 5:45 p.m.

I've used uShip.com to find a decent shipper for oddball items. The quotes are free, and can include things like crating it up for you.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/10 5:46 p.m.

Freight companies will haul just about anything. Be warned, they will also destroy just about everything. Box it well. Fedex freight will carry most things also, but they are expensive.

I'd be willing to meet someone in Augusta, GA and haul it to somewhere around Lumberton or maybe Fayettville, NC for you. Just because this is going to be a wicked cool project.

Woody
1/18/10 7:50 p.m.

It's too long to go Greyhound and everyone else wants it on a pallet, which would increase the weight by a factor of ten.

I think Dave's going to be getting some e-mail.

Woody
1/18/10 8:53 p.m.

I can get to the South side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge (with an empty truck if anyone needs something hauled south of New England).

As for the Florida to Pittsburgh part, getting help from GRM'ers is one thing, but I can't in good conscious, ask the parents of a GRM'er to haul something this big that far.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/18/10 9:00 p.m.
Woody wrote: I can get to the South side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge (with an empty truck if anyone needs something hauled south of New England). As for the Florida to Pittsburgh part, getting help from GRM'ers is one thing, but I can't in good conscious, ask the parents of a GRM'er to haul something this big that far.

Well if you find a way to get it near the Delaware Memorial it can be stored at my place until you can come get it. I can probably even send it further north with Littleturquoiseb if we can fit it in/on one of his vehicles.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/10 9:19 p.m.

I have no way to transport it, but I can be a hold over in MD if we want to railroad it up.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
1/18/10 9:25 p.m.
Nashco wrote: How big is the shipping package, overall? If it's under 100 pounds and smaller than 30" x 47" x 82" you can ship it with Greyhound. I've never heard of anybody cheaper than Greyhound for something relatively light and bulky (such as bodywork). It's less than $100 from Atlanta to Hartford even at the biggest size they'll ship! http://www.shipgreyhound.com/ Bryce

Another vote for Greyhound! I have shipped a couple of full body kits via Greyhound and if I remember correctly it was less than $100 to ship a full body kit to New York! That is a fraction of what FedEx/UPS wanted...

Woody
1/18/10 9:28 p.m.

The guy that I'm getting it from says that it's 8 feet long, which, I think is too big for Greyhound.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/18/10 10:31 p.m.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
1/18/10 11:44 p.m.

I like the GRM underground railroad approach. Unfortunately I'm on the wrong coast to participate.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/10 5:51 a.m.

i can get it from Philly/Jersey to CT if it will fit in a Cavalier with the seat folded down or tied to the roof

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/19/10 6:53 a.m.

A lot of GRM'ers will be in Daytona in two weeks for the Rolex. Any heading back near CT?

If it was on our way we could take it to Carlisle in May if we don't have a full van.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/19/10 7:23 a.m.

Come to think of it Carzan might be able to get it from my place in NJ up to CT, I think he's making the CT - MD trip frequently these days. I'll shoot him an email and point him over here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
onU5foTpAjJMRD332IDWZcwUyONlTYksKppIiBb6T6Wy0ajS6zdFNUw95gCmfoDi