dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
2/26/11 6:46 a.m.

My G20 has a little plastic footrest pad to the left of the clutch pedal that was originally bonded to the carpeting with adhesive. It fell off about a year ago, and has been sitting in a drawer in my workbench ever since.

At the time, I cleaned the adhesive residue off the carpet and pad the best I could, and used some "high strength" spray adhesive to attach it. That worked great- for about 2 days.

Has anyone here ever used Shoe Goo adhesive for a repair like this? My thoughts are that it is meant to bond dissimilar materials, and surely if it can withstand the twisting motions placed on a shoe, it should be able to withstand an occasional twisting motion from the bottom of a shoe, no?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
2/26/11 6:59 a.m.

It's worth a try. Not having any shoe goo around, I would probably be tempted to try a couple coats of Contact Cement.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot Reader
2/26/11 9:09 a.m.

In reply to dimeadozen:

I am not sure if ShoeGoo is the same as GOOP, but i've had great luck with GOOP. You will need to rough up the glue side of the pad as best you can with 60 or 100 grit to give it a surface to bite to. Make sure your sanding pattern is cross hatched to ensure it gets everything.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/26/11 11:56 a.m.

Sticky backed velcro might work if the carpet is in reasonably good condition and depending if it is cut pile or loop. Just stick the hook part on the back of the pad and trim to fit.

Shoe goo doesn't adhere well to certain types of hard plastic. (Owned a skateshop and used it for many things over the years) So I'd test the goo on a small part of the pad first if you go that route.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/26/11 6:52 p.m.

I've used Sportsman's Goop or something like that to glue a broken turn signal back together so we could get home. I had to dig it out to get it back apart. The only problem with it that I've had is that it seems to either not be UV resistant or gets hard by itself over time and will come loose, but for a couple years, it will stick like you wouldn't believe.

In your situation, however, I would try Liquid Nails.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
2/26/11 10:50 p.m.

In reply to amy001:

canoe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PElnws0h0aDYPkuXzxD8bMh2MSX4ftNc6rUbI4bL0aTbAm8io3fzpDqnrY9uq9B8