MoCounselor
MoCounselor GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/17 9:57 a.m.

Found an interesting source for potentially well-made workshop tables/benches, thanks to my significant other:  https://www.uline.com/Grp_264/Packing-Tables-and-Shop-Desks

I currently have zero workbench space/set-up in my one car garage.  From measuring, I'm pretty sure I can fit one or two of these in on one side wall.  

I'd welcome input on the top material, ie: steel versus maple versus composite (ie: particle board.)

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
12/9/17 11:02 a.m.

I would rather have a steel top table over any other material, how much is shipping?

Have you looked local for steel tables? They tend to show up used and are usually a fraction of the price Vs. new.

Paul

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/9/17 1:16 p.m.

Keep an eye on local auctions. Any shop liquidation is gonna have commercial or industrial tables. Steel shelving units too. 

MoCounselor
MoCounselor GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/17 1:38 p.m.

Shipping, surprisingly, isn't horrible, probably since they are in MN and I'm in MO.  Right at $110 for the 72" long table w/the steel top.

Good idea on the auctions.   I want to grab something relatively soon, as my 41 year-old back is getting really tired of not having a bench to work on and doing everything on the floor/ground.  lol

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/9/17 1:44 p.m.
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/9/17 2:52 p.m.

I like a wood top, as long as you don't mind it getting damaged and stained up its nice because stuff sits still and it's less noisy. (Metal work benches - things are always rolling off and making tons of noise when you're working on them.) I got my awesome workbench by bolting a free maple butcherblock top to a couple free medical cabinets. But looking on your local Craigslist there are some good looking options in the $40-$100 range. 

https://springfield.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=workbench&sort=rel&srchType=T

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/10/17 8:21 a.m.

I have one of those and it works quite nice as long as you're not hammering on it.  I wouldn't mount a vise to it.  I have to pressed wood top, which has its pros and cons.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/10/17 8:22 a.m.

We have a bunch fo the wood topped ones at work, they are good at being wood topped shipping tables.  Probably would work just fine for a workbench.  Ours have been in service every day for 3-4 years.  The wood tops are showing wear.  

Keep in mind they are pretty deep, at least the ones we have, so they will eat into your shop space a bit.  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/10/17 7:47 p.m.

I need to come up with a bench for my shop suitable for rebuilding transmissions. One of the things  i've learned to be picky about with workbenches is hammering anything on top of them. I need a bench top i can hit decently hard with a 3lb hammer without damaging, and i DONT want the table's flex and springiness to damp my hammer blows. I want whatever i'm smacking to feel 100% of it! I have in my head that my ideal workbench would probably weigh over 400 lbs.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/10/17 8:20 p.m.

This is actually something I have started work on developing. I am also in Columbia, MO if you decide to go heavy duty and/or custom.

I made a 3'x4' 1/4" top for my BIL with 5/8" holes set on a 2" grid. He is adding some beefy legs and using it for a welding work station. My younger sister is in college in Springfield so delivery is even an option. 

Just realized I was giving a sales pitch. Sorry.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/10/17 8:48 p.m.
singleslammer said:

This is actually something I have started work on developing. I am also in Columbia, MO if you decide to go heavy duty and/or custom.

I made a 3'x4' 1/4" top for my BIL with 5/8" holes set on a 2" grid. He is adding some beefy legs and using it for a welding work station. My younger sister is in college in Springfield so delivery is even an option. 

Just realized I was giving a sales pitch. Sorry.

Oh re re?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/10/17 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Yes sir, shoot me an email or text if you want to discuss further.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/11/17 8:12 a.m.

My primary bench is wood, covered with a piece of conveyor belting. You can beat on it all day and yet the belting can be wiped clean, just like a steel top.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
juFLck41E1wZnQAO6QZlFbZXXYj3HcTmHjaPRWXIRgCzxWmNkShUxtor0M3x7EHa