Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/22/21 1:10 p.m.

I think we all know the reason why everyone is told to do this., But the boss man says I should do it every Friday. And the work vehicle only sits for Saturday and Sunday. What do you guys think, is this overkill?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/22/21 1:16 p.m.
Countingcrowbars said:

I think we all know the reason...

I do not know the reason

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/22/21 1:20 p.m.

Just curious, what's the reason given?

By the way, in journalism school, we were told to always keep at least half a tank in the car in case we had to bug out on an assignment. And you always kept your camera with you. Always. 

Also, some talk from the archives about fuel aging:

Antioxidants, Fuel Stabilizers, and You

What Happens to Gasoline as It Ages?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/21 1:23 p.m.

Keep it full to prevent rust.

Over a weekend? No I wouldn't.

Over the winter? I do.

What kind of vehicle is it? Most modern vehicles have plastic tanks.

Countingcrowbars
7/22/21 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

Winner. And That's what I told the boss. Sitting for the weekend isn't going to do much more than if it was parked in the hot sun during the work week. Over a long period of time, yes, top up and stabil. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/21 2:41 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Countingcrowbars said:

I think we all know the reason...

I do not know the reason

I'm also curious about the reason. I've heard people fill up before a hurricane or other imminent bug out situation, but not in general. I have no idea how much gas is in any of our three cars. Somewhere between full and empty, I presume. 

Countingcrowbars
7/22/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Air contains moisture, moisture in a fuel tank causes rust. Rust then sloshes into the fuel mix and into your fuel system. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/22/21 5:04 p.m.

I was never a Boy Scout, but I will usually fill up when I hit 1/2 tank.  I start to get a rash when the needle hits 1/4 tank...   Might just be an artifact of living in the rural West.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/22/21 5:06 p.m.

Either way I don't think it will make any difference. 

But keep arguing with the boss and it won't matter.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/21 6:12 p.m.

It's to keep you from using "I had to get gas" for a reason to show up late for work on Monday morning :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/22/21 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I agree.  What I read from the OP posting is the boss saying, "fill the tank on Friday, payday, which might be enough gas for the whole week before you blow through the whole paycheck over the weekend." 

Its some advice of simplistic rationing of funds.  For many people, it is probably very good advice.  

The title of this thread is "...keep the tank full"  but the body of the thread is about "...buying of Friday".  This buying on Friday implies that the tank will be much less than full on Weds and Thursdays???

AaronT
AaronT Reader
7/23/21 8:39 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I agree.  What I read from the OP posting is the boss saying, "fill the tank on Friday, payday, which might be enough gas for the whole week before you blow through the whole paycheck over the weekend." 

Its some advice of simplistic rationing of funds.  For many people, it is probably very good advice.  

The title of this thread is "...keep the tank full"  but the body of the thread is about "...buying of Friday".  This buying on Friday implies that the tank will be much less than full on Weds and Thursdays???

OP said it's a work vehicle. Why would payday Friday make any difference? 
If it were in reference to a personal vehicle and a manager felt the need to patronize in that fashion, those employees need to get the berkeley out and find a job with a manager who doesn't treat them like children. It's an oft forgotten fact that "you get what you pay for" applies to people as well as goods though.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
7/25/21 8:21 p.m.

Keep a full tank, or just drive spiritedly enough to wash the sides of the tank ; )

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/21 11:41 p.m.

I was told that keeping at least a half tank helps to keep the fuel pump submerged and helps keep them cool. They strongly recommended this for GM trucks. Don't know if this is fact or fiction but interesting and since filling at half a tank versus letting it get close to empty before filling up has no bearing fuel consumption I will almost always fill up around a half tank. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/21 9:51 a.m.

Your boss is full of crap, but maybe don't phrase it that way to the boss.

Yes, condensation, blah blah.  I have a 1/2 tank that has been sitting in a steel fuel tank for nearly 5 years in one of my Pontiacs.  If I go out right now and turn the key, it will start and run like a charm.

It's also highly unlikely that your work vehicle (unless you're driving a 1985 Chevy) has a steel gas tank.  Does any OEM actually still make steel tanks?  They're all plastic now.

Even if you had a steel tank, condensation is such a non issue.  Let's assume that the fuel in the tank is E10.  Ethanol is miscible in either water or gasoline and can hold about 5% of its volume as water.  So you would have to have condensation on the order of a pint of water in a 15 gallon tank before water would become an issue.  You won't get that much condensation in 10 years, let alone a weekend.

Add to that fact that emissions components do a pretty good job of keeping fumes in the tank and atmospheric air out.  Gas tanks nearly always operate on a slight vacuum when running and slight pressure when not running.  I think you'll find that nearly all of the gaseous vapors in a tank are evaporated gasoline, not air/water.

Keith Tanner
7/26/21 9:58 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I was told that keeping at least a half tank helps to keep the fuel pump submerged and helps keep them cool. They strongly recommended this for GM trucks. Don't know if this is fact or fiction but interesting and since filling at half a tank versus letting it get close to empty before filling up has no bearing fuel consumption I will almost always fill up around a half tank. 

My mom always told me it was just as easy to keep the top half full as the bottom half :) 

There could be other reasons the boss has made this request. If they want the crew to make a good start on Monday morning with a minimum of farting around, there's some logic to having all the vehicles fully fueled and ready to go as it's one less thing. It's basically a reset for planning in that case.

It's not an unreasonable request and it's easy to comply. Just do it and move on.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
7/26/21 10:14 a.m.

Yup, I'd want them topped up as well so everyone could hit the ground running on Monday morning.

That 10-15 minute delay isn't much but the perception from the customer end makes it seem like an eternity.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/26/21 10:34 a.m.

I actually keep my older cars low on gas.  I am bit of a special case though.  I want them low so it keeps fresher gas in them since I don't drive them very many miles. Especially the Ghia, which doesn't use much gas no mater how you drive it.  I also live in a low humidity area, so I am not very concerned about rust.

Keith Tanner
7/26/21 10:39 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

Yup, I'd want them topped up as well so everyone could hit the ground running on Monday morning.

That 10-15 minute delay isn't much but the perception from the customer end makes it seem like an eternity.

Especially since, with a multi-person crew, the delay is exponential. Someone goes to get coffee while a truck is being filled, then everyone wants coffee, then someone has to pee, then someone else is missing and is found taking a smoke break out back...

Really, it's no different than trying to get a bunch of toddlers ready for school. It's why you lay out their clothes the night before :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pugT5BADjNgTQ7AE09tt76vg5RNPcgiD5fHn27EF3JEAYY4OkcnH7kBAtfXKukUh