1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 46
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/3/21 11:18 p.m.
Peabody said:

Is that a Chevy Metro? If so, and if it's becoming yard art, I may be interested in the alloy wheels...

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/11/21 10:15 p.m.

I've been adding more tools to the shop, and have been moving things around to make it easier to get to frequently used tools. At my old house I had a smaller garage, and I had to make use of every cubic foot. I built this rack to store some of my power tools vertically. I moved it to my new house, where it is now an island in the wide spot between the 1 car and 2 car sides of my garage. It works great as far as keeping everything organized and out of the way, but some of the tools are heavy and not as convenient to use as I would like. I figured it was time to move some out where they could be used more readily and replace the stacked tools with lighter, less used tools. Here is the rack as it was. Any of the tools slid out with their shelf, which dropped onto the base below...

Step one was to make a stand for the disc/belt sander. I picked this up for pennies on the dollar at a Sears clearance years ago, but haven't used it much. It is very heavy, and I had to really want to use it to pull it out of the rack. I made this stand mostly out of scrap. I put a pair of wheels at the bottom of the base, so I can tip it and roll it around the shop...

I've used it more in the in the last week than in the last couple years. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/11/21 10:31 p.m.

Next up was my miter saw. I had It on one of the shelves. Great for storage, but I really wanted a nice spot with support tables on both sides. The perfect spot would have been along my back wall, but I sacraficed that real estate for my kid's work benches. They love them and use them a lot, so I figured it was a good trade off. So I'm sitting in my shop this weekend and it hits me- not sure if it was a stroke of brilliance or a forehead slapping "duh" moment. Why can't I have both? A couple pieces of strut later and a piece of wood...

This was actually much easier said than done, lots of fine adjustments needed to get everything level and flush. But very happy with the result. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/11/21 10:36 p.m.

Now it was time to replace the tools that I took out of the rack. I recently picked up a spindle sander. Much lighter than the belt sander, no big deal to move in and out of the rack. But why do that if I don't have to? A couple drawer slides and pieces of scrap wood later...

This came out way better than expected. I can Just slide it out and use it in place. The shelf still comes out if I want to move it and place it on the stand, but I don't think I'll ever need to. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/19/21 9:56 a.m.

I made these dice a few years ago.  Set them on a shelf and promptly forgot about them.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/23/21 10:03 p.m.

Battery restraint for the Datsun replica

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/21 8:27 a.m.

I got a new welder and didn't want to waste money on a crappy welding cart from the hammer store.  The other options with drawers were either too expensive or backordered, so I made my own.

6 hours in CAD and I had a design to send out for laser cutting.

3 days later this showed up from Reno.

Bend, weld, bend wrong, cut reweld, cover in a thick coat of blue rustoleum.

Final product can hold two 150cuft bottles, 4 filler rod containers and has cable rollup for torch and ground cable.  $129 for the 4 drawer chest, $150 in laser cut steel, $2 of chain from Depot, a $5 can of spray paint and some hardware I had laying around the shop.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
4/26/21 8:51 a.m.

Nearing completion anyway, console for the '66 Mustang

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:16 p.m.

I'm trying to put a photo into this and it comes out all Warped and it spit out a bunch of Latin . It makes it hard for me to show and explain what I did to my Sling Blade

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:21 p.m.

Ok so once I post it the photo looks fine and the Latin went away I'm not quite certain what's in the beer I'm drinking.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:23 p.m.

So you get back on track yesterday I broke the handle on my old Sling Blade some people call it a Kaiser knife it is what the county boys use clearing brush and whatnot. Above is the before photo

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:25 p.m.

After a little attention with the angle grinder be quick with the wire cup and flap wheel sander attachment

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:27 p.m.

Now it is in condition to deal with Jesse. Mmm  hhhmmmm

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/26/21 5:42 p.m.

So a couple of weeks ago I had an acquaintance bring me an ass nose completely split on the side of the head. It was where the forge weld had initially put it together so I took it from him ground a deep v in the fracture and welded it together with a high nickel content electrode. I welded grounded out welded and ground it out repeatedly and when I was finished with that I added his initials to his ax

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
5/30/21 4:45 a.m.

Wanted space back in the garage and the easiest way was to shrink the foot print of the brake! It was on a 6'x2.5' stand, and I shrink that down to ~37.5"x15" with this new bench, and added a number of storage features to keep clamps/measuring tools put away. Really happy with it!

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
5/30/21 7:28 p.m.

My wife wanted a table for the back patio. Wood is painfully expensive right now, but she is happy...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/21 7:35 p.m.

I made this lovely 18.4lb ham. 6 weeks in brine, 11 hours in smoke, then about 5 hours in the oven to finish it off after a 2 day rest.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/30/21 8:28 p.m.

Made a downdraft table today (still need to finsh assembly)

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/1/21 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry, just saw this. It's a Swift, and we scrapped it about a month ago.

Yes, everybody's interested in those wheels. I have a half dozen sets but they're not for sale.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/21 12:29 p.m.

I designed, 3D printed and modified these Miata Daisy wheel center caps with a knock off nut. The factory cap springs and retainers are still used. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/21 10:48 p.m.

Stainless duals for a 5.3 swapped s10 i did this week

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/21 1:12 p.m.

Put the last weld on my boat dolly earlier this morning, then cleaned it in prep for paint.  Didn't have enough black to cover everything, so I looked around at my half full cans and thought "what the hell, its appropriate for the day."

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/16/21 12:38 p.m.

Built a mailbox post for our neighbors to match ours.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/22/21 8:53 a.m.

Some LARGE boulder tables. The latest with a heater for the cooler nights.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/21 9:34 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

That is really cool!

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OH1QqRxkMvXYcZdCz3lIgWpFqEnwvTs1zaZKMQEM7lXdGraLcMiRYWjwNThiMa9i