1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 46
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/27/22 9:46 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

What did you coat it with? I need to do something to the contrete floor in our mud room. 

The stain and etch / degreaser were from a company called Surecrete.  The clear (semi-gloss) was made by Artcrete.  I went to a Concrete Design Center in DFW. I recommend talking to someone as they were very helpful.  The etch and stain were sprayed on using a low pressure sprayer and the clear roll on like paint.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/27/22 11:16 p.m.

Rack for my Ridgeline. I made it as a single piece, tying into the factory studs on the roof and drilling new holes into the camper shell. Then I cut it in half and capped the ends so that I could remove the shell and still have a rack over the cab. Pretty happy how it came out, although it looks like I'll have to add a deflector, as the wind noise is pretty bad. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
5/2/22 6:14 a.m.

Been working on something to add more visual interest to a boring wall in the living room while simultaneously making it a bit less dark.

Starting point:

Basic concept roughed in:

Trim moulding added, everything filled/sanded:

Completed as of yesterday:

First time doing any unsupervised trim carpentry. Lots of lessons learned, but I'm happy with the overall result.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/22 12:14 p.m.

I made a holder for my Rhino tank. It's supposed to mount to your ladder but I don't have one. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/22 4:33 p.m.

My off-road shopping cart for hauling water jugs and groceries 50' on a gravel driveway to the cabin front door.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/2/22 9:39 a.m.

Really small but super helpful project! I've had this articulating light in my basement for ~7 years bc I didn't have a mount for it. I used a little square tube and a nice $1 C-Clamp, even closed off the tube to make it purty.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
6/28/22 10:19 a.m.

Prompted by the "You have no excuse not to be making stuff | Column" in today's email blast, I decided to check out this thread...

If you have a BMW Z3 or '98-'02 M Coupe/Rdstr, you know what this is.  I'm coming up on having made 1000 of them (there's one shipping to Capetown, SA today).

I've made lots of other stuff, but most of it never gets seen, like the spanner tool I made to tighten the swimming pool jet-port eyeballs, which looks similar to these tools I made to remove BMW shift-levers (FROM INSIDE THE CAR, DO THE WHOLE SWAP-JOB FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT). 

I slapped these adjustable door aperature braces together when replacing sills/rockers on a Triumph GT6, but they also work on Big Healeys, Spridgets, and seen here on an MGB GT.

I especially like the fact you can close the door to check for panel/swage-line alignment, etc.

Then there's the oil-jet for a Vortech supercharger, out of necessity, when the original brass one failed around 5:00 PM on a Friday (ever notice that about failures happening at that witching hour?)

Yes, that's a .07mm drill bit (from my Weber jet-drill index) used in a power drill__without breaking!  The final orifice size of .095mm was opened up using the pin-vise (didn't want to push my luck).

But wait, there's more... ;) 

bbsmith24
bbsmith24 None
6/29/22 7:02 p.m.

Teardrop

Teardrop trailer, self designed and built down to the steampunk hatch lights smiley

bbsmith24
bbsmith24 New Reader
6/29/22 7:08 p.m.

LoggerGPS box

Multi-channel race data logger (GPS, IMU, Wheel speed, Analog/Digital). Going in the car this weekend for first on track test

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/22 8:26 p.m.

Upper clam shell leaf spring bracket for Jean Clyde Damn Van.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/30/22 11:49 a.m.

Adding a wind deflector makes all the difference sound-wise. Without it, the howling was way too much.  16 ga steel with 4 gussets to stop fluttering.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/8/22 10:22 p.m.

Another cage for a Caterham 7, this time for a Series 3. Removeable of course.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/22 10:45 p.m.

Finally got around to making a headboard for my bed. I'm not great at woodworking but it turned out alright.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/11/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

When you build these, are you tacking them together on the vehicle, then removing to weld out?  Any issues with warpage making fitment more difficult?

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/11/22 6:45 p.m.

Fully welded on the car except for the last 1/2" against the aluminum skin on the mounting slugs. I've done several this way and they come off pretty easily with the help of a spreader bar to push the forward mounting apart 1/2" to lift the whole thing off. 

Last one.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
7/23/22 8:20 p.m.

An oldie but goodie. I built the rack largely to cary this old gal about. It was the first kayak of several that I built. The others have been sold, traded or given away. Needs new rigging and a fresh coat of spar varnish. Otherwise ship shape, even after 30 years!  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/15/22 6:23 p.m.

My tower is finally getting sheet rocked.  I'll take credit for building the tower and walkway etc but not the sheetrocking.   
  That's done by my wife's Cousins who took over the company from her father.  
While I did most of the sheet rocking,  at my age getting up the scaffolding  is just too hard on me.  I have to lie there for 20 minutes recovering before I can start. 

wae
wae PowerDork
9/15/22 7:55 p.m.

I made that chainsaw.   My wife makes it look good.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
9/16/22 11:27 a.m.

Most things I make are metal or machined, and most of those for the cars. Wood confounds me because I try to fit it like metal, which doesn't work. I have utterly zero talent for things like cloth, drywall, or anything requiring a paintbrush, but healthy respect and awe for those who do. Interesting how our unique skillsets develop over time isn't it? Here's a few from the e30 collection. All of these are made on manual machines, no CNC. Many were made years ago as a broke student when cash was tight but time in a well-equipped machine shop on campus was free.

Rear trailing arm adjusters:

Custom DSSR and trans mounts to put a G240 out of an M42 car into my M20 car (~10 degree rotation):

Battery bracket for Braille lithium. Material: bed frame and scrap. No-drill install.

Here it is mounted next to a 3-coil wasted spark setup on another no-drill bracket:

Detachable wing mounts (not fastened yet). Uprights made by send-cut-send, my design.

Splitter by Home Depot racing! All-in for under a C-note:

Sunroof delete panel and corner clamps, yet another no-drill setup. Sensing a theme? Total weight 4 lb:

And a picture of the custom rotor hats I made with a rotary table on a mill (no lathe) as part of my DIY BBK to put 300mm rotors with Superlite calipers on the front with 15" wheels. Rears use a 300mm rotor as well with FDL calipers while retaining factory parking brake function. The rest of the parts for the brake setup are...classified. Shoot me a PM if any e30 pilots out there are interested.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/17/22 4:39 p.m.

Steering shaft support. holds a removable support bearing for the shaft. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/22 10:41 p.m.
Nockenwelle said:

Detachable wing mounts (not fastened yet). Uprights made by send-cut-send, my design.

I need these

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 10:59 p.m.

Night autocross event last weekend. Slapped this together, magnetic mounts. 

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/2/22 9:18 p.m.

I wasn't happy with my power tools being strewn about so I build a rack to hold them and charge the batteries.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to karplus2 :

I really need to do this.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/3/22 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

4" PVC with a wide slot through it works too if you want an quick, but effective option. Karplus2's is prettier. 

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5Sh9705NHX0ZpGLNHtgBy1MlOFuMDBM2iJHjckCi15vRPyawtJnv6Hlg1JWIdKS