1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/22 1:08 p.m.
feature_image

Roof racks aren’t just for the family hauler anymore, they also look right at home on sporty cars, too–we’ve even seen them on Miatas. 

Case in point? We mounted a bike rack on our 1984 Porsche 911 project car so we could show off a rad bike along with our rad Porsche during The Amelia weekend.

[How to put a …

Read the rest of the story

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/15/22 1:13 p.m.

This counts, right?

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/22 1:16 p.m.

Here's a throwback to the funniest car I had a roof rack on:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/15/22 1:19 p.m.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/15/22 1:23 p.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 1:25 p.m.

How about this? I was lacking sufficient roof at the time.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/22 1:30 p.m.

It's kind of a roof rack.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/15/22 1:31 p.m.

I put it on to take photos for the ad and left it on for the week it took to sell.

I thought it was ludicrous to have a rack on a vehicle with a large cargo space, but I got compliments on it every time I stopped

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 1:31 p.m.

When I bought the XJ, I put one of these on it. It did the job but didn't hold up very well. 

20201007_185552_HDR.jpg

The current rack is this one from JRC. Made for the XJ with a much lower profile and covers the entire roof. Hauls camping gear nicely.  

20210613_125336.jpg

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 1:32 p.m.

The Sienna came with nice roof rails, so I added Malone cross-bars which I absolutely HATE.  They are more of a collection of random parts that are loosely assembled and make removal/installation very difficult. I am saving money for a better set. The Yakima Skybox however is AWESOME. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
3/15/22 1:41 p.m.

I'm not sure how sporty an AMC Eagle wagon is, but these low buck mods would work great on any sporty car rack.  For Chico the Street Eagle, I took an inexpensive (under $100) mass produced roof basket, and gussied it up a bit with a homemade dimple die and some old school Daylighters on modified clamp on brackets.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/15/22 1:42 p.m.

From last month's Orlando Roadsters meet:

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/22 1:52 p.m.

I have a set of thule aeroblades and an audi branded thule box on the s4 avant and holy hell the aeroblades are slick! Super easy install and super low profile. Awesome addition.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/22 2:05 p.m.

Wow. Lots of really cool pictures.

I know where to come if I ever need inspiration for what type of roof rack to buy.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/22 2:15 p.m.

I miss this roof rack so much.  I dont have a lot of pics, but it has carried many large objects that wouldn't fit inside this car.  It was also crazy strong due to its mounting method and extremely easy to detach from the car.

My next car didn't have a real roofrack option.

I currently have a Kia Soul which also doesn't have a real roofrack option (I thought it did, bought one, and it turned out to be a pile of poo).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/22 2:16 p.m.

On a related note... are side impact airbags generally behind the a pillar, or do they line the roof between the a/b pillar?  I'm thinking about machining up some proper attachments so I can put a proper rack on the current car, but drilling through the roof in that area has me a bit concerned.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/15/22 2:37 p.m.

I usually leave the bike rack on my '85 900S because I'm too lazy to install it every time I have time to go riding... and it looks cool.

We have a long box to attach to the factory rack on the ESV:

And a short box and crossbars to go on the Sportcombi (or whatever else):

If anyone has a used third gen Prius rack, shoot me a message.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/22 2:42 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

more pics of the Avant please....B7?

nakmuayfarang
nakmuayfarang New Reader
3/15/22 2:55 p.m.

This rack has been on my Kia Soul for a couple of years with no issues.  The cans and the water tank are full and I usually have a few dry bags of gear up there when I go on a trip. It's very stable, though the adapted ladder (it was designed for a land cruiser) helps with that I suspect.

nakmuayfarang
nakmuayfarang New Reader
3/15/22 2:56 p.m.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/15/22 3:33 p.m.

The Soul looks tough. My brother had one with a stick. I probably shouldn't tell you all that he recently sold it to an Atlanta dealer, so it's out there (gesturing with hand) somewhere.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/22 3:40 p.m.

I have a 2.0 with a stick.  I couldn't recommend this car to anyone in good conscience.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/22 11:19 p.m.

I don't have one on my Porsche (pointless) or my GTI (also pointless). I have them on the vehicles that carry stuff on them. 

rally car...homebuilt to haul tires

Raider...multipurpose, also homebuilt. Integrated storage bin (carries my trackboards) and a couple awnings

Sequoia, also homebuilt. For carrying stuff. It carried a dozen 12-foot 2x4s this morning (no pics). Also has an 8-foot awning, 7-gallon water tank, and lighting on all sides plus an integrated fairing.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
3/16/22 9:55 a.m.

Closest thing I have. Built it to hold the Roof Top Tent and it works awesome. Probably going to be adding some kind of tire rack (race car spares) and fuel jug holder this year.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
3/16/22 10:25 a.m.

The shopping cart one up stream is the coolest here to me, so neat. 

I have T-Tops...roof racks arent easy or cheap for this. I do wish I had a hardtop for a few reasons, one of which would be a roof rack for bike(s) and other cargo things on trips. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vMmisp20g1CQIdlaVUT0XkRBEIDjDMnUCfpNn2k2m1cZ77TFDIUet1HUdcxRiVT2