fasted58 said:

How about a 'Most Cluttered' category. I could win that hands down.  devil

Game on. wink

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
2/7/18 1:48 p.m.
Stefan said:

In reply to Robbie :

There have been a few of those, but they die off when they drop off the first few pages.  Also the Photobucket berkeley up caused a lot of issues with some of the older ideas that were shared.

I think if this were resurrected, making it a sticky might be a good idea.

back in the day when I was an admin on the Maxima forums (yes, there is such a thing), I created a garage-journal-style subforum). Feel free to steal the idea for GRM (I wrote some good stickies too!) lol

https://maxima.org/forums/garage-workshop-76/

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
2/7/18 6:19 p.m.
Ian F said:
fasted58 said:

How about a 'Most Cluttered' category. I could win that hands down.  devil

Game on. wink

bring it...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/7/18 7:18 p.m.

I basically agree with most of the comments made. The winners, though very cool don't really fit in the GRM category in my mind. Having said that, I also love seeing the different designs and getting ideas.  I think the idea that Irish brought up would be very workable. Bottom line, I like all garage stuff.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/7/18 7:20 p.m.

We could make one garage thread in the tech tips section? The threads don't find the bottom quickly there anyway.

I might go ahead and do this as soon as I have the photo I want to post.

iwannarace
iwannarace New Reader
2/7/18 9:39 p.m.

Let's see a people's choice award and their 300 word description should definitely be part of the judging. Witty or loser.

FWIW, those are Be-A-Utiful shops. Something to aspire to. I have to agree though, it doesn't make sense to prize them something they don't need. I mean, if Kirk works out of that shop, wouldn't that be a commercial shop? Just put that one in a different category...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
2/7/18 10:07 p.m.

On the upside, at least Jack Olsen didn't enter his 12-Gauge Garage again....because that garage is absolutely awesome, and is also absolutely Grassroots in the way he put it together by bargain-shopping, refurbishing stuff himself, and laying all the tile himself from overstock-clearance stuff he bought at a big-box store. In my book, it is the #1 Grassroots DIY Garage of all time, even though it LOOKS like he spent a ton of money on it. I think he won last year, but he could win every year.

TNTGSO
TNTGSO
2/8/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

GRM Head Nerds, thanks for putting this on! I enjoyed it!

sbrian2
sbrian2 GRM+ Member
2/8/18 2:48 p.m.

I entered even though ours is very much a work in progress.  While our shop is 3000 sq. ft., it is also our house and the living area is a mere 1200 sq. ft.  We sold a very nice all brick house in a sought after subdivision to build our dream garage.  While it didn't make the cut this year, maybe the improvements I have planned will make it more of a contender in the future.  You can follow all of our craziness at our youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2QAGIvTivPCFKUHpxsVYgw

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/8/18 3:29 p.m.

All three of the winners look like places I'd love to spend some time in. Whether that mean doing some wrenching or just hanging out and talking to the owners.

Nobody wants to be in my garage other than me. My garage is parking/storage/car working/ wood working/boat building/once even a spare bedroom for a month or two/bike parking/kayak and SUP storage area. I have a decent amount of square footage, but nothing that is photogenic or very well organized.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/8/18 3:33 p.m.

I consider myself lucky that the door on my converted-carport-I-call-a-garage still closes with my car in it...

RonB001
RonB001 GRM+ Member
2/8/18 4:03 p.m.

My biggest gripe is that there are only two pictures of each garage.

We need to see the details that make them really special, not just the overall awesomeness broken heart

Or, is that the plan for future features? yes

sbrian2
sbrian2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/8/18 4:21 p.m.

In reply to RonB001 :

I'd say that will be in future features as they asked for 5 photos in the submissions.

RMVR53
RMVR53 New Reader
2/8/18 4:38 p.m.

Tom,

I see one more category you could add - the "How can you possibly work in that?" class.  

I'm in...  During the winter, I have to share just under 600 sqft of garage space with my Wife's chickens and ducks as well as 4 barn cats that feel its too cold to be in the barn - so they come into the garage. Obviously painting and fiberglass work doesn't happen, but I am building a Mk3 Spit race chassis, two Spit 1300's (one race, one street) and an engine for my SIII XJ6 in there. And yes it does look like a bomb went off...

Bill

iwannarace
iwannarace New Reader
2/8/18 6:11 p.m.
nlevine said:

Yeah, like, how can you possibly work in this...? Shame!

te72
te72 New Reader
2/8/18 10:43 p.m.

I didn't enter mine for two reasons. One, it's mostly used for parking at the moment. Two, the floor is my work bench, due to the crowded parking situation. More importantly, however, I already bought a decent welder, so the prizes were a bit of a moot point to me. Perhaps a decent gift certificate for Eastwood would entice more entries, or be more useful to potential winners who are already well equipped?

Love the idea of a tech tip sticky thread. My freebie? Home brew metal brake that I used for my intercooler duct. Used thick C-channel steel, placed on either end of the aluminum sheet, clamped after verifying straightness, then bent away! For the DIY level of method, the result turned out nicely!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
2/9/18 7:27 a.m.

Mentioned Above, Commercial Shop , the Prize for Them Is Getting a Nod in a Top Tier Magazine. They have no need for a Home Shop type Welder.

I thought about sending pics of a Less is More Shop,   Mine,  But about the time I got it Picked Up I brought another Car Inside. Kinda have to walk Sideways to Get around, Oh Well.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/18 7:39 a.m.

Pretty pictures. Glad I didn't waste my time entering. I guess the winners can always give the prizes to someone that would actually have a use for them.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/9/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to sbrian2 :

How do you feel about the stackers? I can't tell if they're something that would be convenient or would just end up making it so that I never used the cars on top. 

sbrian2
sbrian2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/9/18 2:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to sbrian2 :

How do you feel about the stackers? I can't tell if they're something that would be convenient or would just end up making it so that I never used the cars on top. 

They aren't that bad, but I put two cars up there that I knew I wouldn't be touching for a while.  My biggest gripe is they are pretty slow (probably over a minute in each direction) and the ramps weigh a ton.  I was actually hoping to win the contest to get some lightweight race ramps for them.

Brian

JackOlsen
JackOlsen New Reader
3/7/18 3:58 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Thanks for the mention, irish44j!  I did win the 'small shop' category in this contest last year.  And I think there's a good argument to be made for my shop fitting the grassroots mold, based on the amount of money I was able to spend on it (small) versus the amount of time I sank into it (large).  My budget was $3,500 and that included the $670 for the lift and the materials and tool rental I needed to install it.  

I don't pay as much attention to the 'large' and 'commercial' categories, since I don't have that kind of money or space.  But I think David Kirk's setup is great -- and all the different stuff GRM extrapolated from last year's contest winners was pretty useful.  

And while I'm typing, here's my short inspirational video:

JackOlsen
JackOlsen New Reader

In reply to irish44j :

Thanks for the mention, irish44j!  I did win the 'small shop' category in this contest last year.  And I think there's a good argument to be made for my shop fitting the grassroots mold, based on the amount of money I was able to spend on it (small) versus the amount of time I sank into it (large).  My budget was $3,500 and that included the $670 for the lift and the materials and tool rental I needed to install it.  

I don't pay as much attention to the 'large' and 'commercial' categories, since I don't have that kind of money or space.  But I think David Kirk's setup is great -- and all the different stuff GRM extrapolated from last year's contest winners was pretty useful.  

JackOlsen
JackOlsen New Reader

In reply to irish44j :

JackOlsen
JackOlsen New Reader
3/7/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

In reply to irish44j :

JackOlsen
JackOlsen New Reader
3/7/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

In reply to irish44j :

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4GnEtnjpvH1IkyVtjYaEd6HdECQUbUXQAw3fGCVAQXi4LnqBmAFYiPClldqZPQG3