1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/23/22 6:47 p.m.

So here are some of my trinkets. First up Caeser's Palace GP button and some Honda pencils a friends father brought back from his visit to Japan where he met Mr Honda.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/23/22 6:51 p.m.

Next up; Willow Springs & Honda key fobs and the rocking O'Neal wallet

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/23/22 6:53 p.m.

One more; Suzuki Circuit Medallion

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/23/22 7:13 p.m.

Recently came across this pin while going through a box that hadn't been opened in about 25 years. This could be from my dad's visits to F1 races circa late '60s.

Guitar pic for scale. 

It kinda clips on.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 9:48 p.m.

This is currently awaiting its next key, but I made it from the gas cap off a rusty, Bondo filled 1966 Mustang that was sitting among chest high weeds in the parking lot of an abandoned commercial building back when I was about 14.

It was part of a gas cap for 15 years, and it's been a keychain for 40. 

I still feel bad about the way in which it was acquired, but I know that the car was scrapped shortly thereafter. 

It has outlived the car, and I will keep it forever. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 12:29 a.m.

This thread made me get my camera out! I have a number of pieces, many of which date to my early childhood. I am original owner to all in the pictures below. Details below each pic.

The Marchal pin and Pirelli lapel pin were NY Auto Show handouts from late 1950s. The tie tacks were gifts from my folks for those times when a tie was required, no later than 1957, I wore them in kindergarden.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 12:33 a.m.

Sprite and Lancia lapel pins were things my father brought home from the dealer he worked at. The Sprite piece was a publicity handout from the new model release, and they had a basket of them in the show room. So 1958.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 12:36 a.m.

This dates from 1971 when I was briefly involved with DSCC. I think they merged with Blue Mountain SCCA 1980ish. I wore this hat in the sun today too.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 12:44 a.m.

Hewland Gear pin was acquired with some LG600 gears about 2009, it was in the box when I opened it.

The Spark plug has no electrode, but it was a Champion for a spark ignition model airplane engine, and obsolete junk when Pop closed his hobby shop in 1956. The Chevron pin was in a box of Chevron parts I bought off of eBay so long ago I don't remember what the parts were.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 12:47 a.m.

Self explanatory trip souvenires. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/24/22 4:51 p.m.

Canadian mtb guys will know what this is.

Given to me by the man himself. I'm very lucky to count him as a friend.

I've hung out with Chris DeKerf and Toxik Harald as well.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/22 9:39 p.m.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
7/24/22 9:40 p.m.

My son get these at the ski hill in northern Michigan.  He would go back every time the staff changed.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
7/25/22 10:43 a.m.

Here is a funky item from the way-back.  My dad managed his father's trucking company and also sold tires.  He had this thing in a box of old stuff.  Although it looks like aluminum, its all steel.  It's obviously a tool to measure tread depths, but I don't know that the 8 different scales, A-H relate to.  The scale appears to be percentage of tread used?

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/22 11:15 a.m.

"has been" bling

David S. Wallens
7/26/22 12:29 p.m.

Some more desk bling. We got this after signing the millionth Miata. 

pirate
pirate Dork
7/27/22 2:27 p.m.

How about  P38 C Ration Can Opener that I have carried around on a key ring since the 60's for no good reason.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
7/27/22 4:53 p.m.

I wish I could lay hands on them but I have 2 that are automotive and weird.  Volkswagen had a bunch of promotional stuff sent out to car mag subscribers in 1996-7 to announce the New Beetle.  Included was a cool little pin with the outline of the new Beetle shape, just the shape with no details.  GIS isn't showing one but maybe someone here got one 25 years back.  

Another was a Saturn-branded 2 eraser pencil with a slogan about making fewer mistakes or something.  My grandparents lived in the next county over from the Spring Hill, TN Saturn plant and all the locals got trinkets before and during its operation.  I got this a year or two before production started and didn't know what Saturn referred to.

Beetle pin and Saturn pencil.  And I can't find them anywhere.  Maybe my parents have them back in NC.

David S. Wallens
7/27/22 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

Speaking of New Beetle stuff, I have a Turbonium periodic table stored somewhere here in my office. (Stolen image below.)

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
7/27/22 5:22 p.m.

2008 Goodwood souvenir book.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/22 6:41 p.m.
pirate said:

How about  P38 C Ration Can Opener that I have carried around on a key ring since the 60's for no good reason.

My high school football coach had one of those on his key ring long after he was out of the army. I was always kind of fascinated by that thing. Is it just a can opener or does it have other uses?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/22 6:57 p.m.

I've been carrying this for close to 20 years. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/22 8:22 p.m.

Inherited from my parents.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
7/27/22 8:28 p.m.

I like that one .

outasite
outasite HalfDork
7/28/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

I also have one on my key ring. Acquired it from a ration box when we shipped the 101st Airborne to Viet Nam during Operation Eagle Thrust in 1967.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LOptbly1aGlsml994kfDkl3AfnSxC0wv9n6MJbPZa0QXEusJPLDugASuAQiZ7CEv