1 2 3 4
Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/30/19 6:46 p.m.

SUVs exist because most of the public thinks it's safer sitting higher and when they load their groceries, they don't have to bend over.  Ask my wife....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 6:52 p.m.

The Lambo is somewhat color dependent. I didn't care for it in white but I often see a blue one that looks really sharp. For myself though o find boxy better. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 7:15 p.m.

I will be honest, I didn't realize the first one was a Lamborghini, I thought it was some new Honda,

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/30/19 7:30 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I think that's the point...  what is the point of 95% of the suvs on the road?  They can't tow, they can't do off-road, they are not made for any particular job and do most jobs worse than a minivan.  80% of them look identical.

I don't get this type of hate.  Tiny minivans don't exist (although the Maxda 5 was pretty good).  CUVs like the Rav 4, CRV, etc. offer a lot of space and utility for a family that doesn't need a minivan.  They get better gas mileage, are easier to park, and way, way cheaper to purchase.  As much as I didn't really like our Saturn Vue, the Odyssey was a much worse vehicle to have for a small family.  And Honda and Toyota make a much better Vue than GM does.

Yeah, they are berkeleying appliances, because that's what people need.

Right now I find myself wishing I had a 'utility box' vehicle that I could throw large things inside of, that I can also daily year round with a kid.  CUVs tend to fill that need pretty well.  Don't get me wrong, what I really want is this, but reliable and with decent gas mileage:

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/30/19 7:35 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I will be honest, I didn't realize the first one was a Lamborghini, I thought it was some new Honda,

It would be awesome if it was.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/30/19 7:40 p.m.

Flowers. What's with flowers anyway? They don't do anything well. They don't taste very good, they attract bees. Some even have thorns. Flowers can be expensive but they're freaking EVERYWHERE taking up space in the garden I could be using for beans or radishes. How can so many people like them when I don't? People that have flowers only seem to like them because they're so heavily pushed by the media. They don't know any better. These people should only like vegetables like me.

This is what the anti-SUV argument reads like to a very large segment of the population.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/19 7:59 p.m.
Iusedtobefast said:

SUVs exist because most of the public thinks it's safer sitting higher and when they load their groceries, they don't have to bend over.  Ask my wife....

Sitting upright and not having to slide down into a car has some advantages. 

my father has Inclusion Body Myositis and is loosing muscle mass in his arms and thighs and abs at an uncomfortable rate. 

My parents are car-car people, especially my father. He owned 2 Honda N600's in the late 70's and has always preferred manual cars. He has and still occasionally does daily drive the 2008 Honda fit they bought new. 

I had put them in my 2016 Mazda 6 sedan in feb 2017, they loved it. But my dad started struggling to get out of it in late 2018 and so when it came to end the lease, we let it go back to Mazda instead of keeping it. 

I helped put them into a 2010 Lexus RX450h last spring that I found them a deal on at that time. my dad gets 30mpg in the thing and it's the perfect height to slide directly in and out of. He still splits time with the Fit, which is almost a small SUV because he is able to sit upright enough in it that he can still get in and out of it. 

I spent 3 years of my life driving and selling CX-5's and CX-9's for Mazda. I think modern SUV's are pretty fantastic. Minivans are a damn good bit more practical.. but whatever.

Mazdadeuce has said this before, and I like to repeat it: "I hope they sell eleventy billion of them, so they can keep making fun cars for us that don't make a lot of money." 

crossovers are less dumb than Wranglers that never go off road, which is almost all of them. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
12/30/19 8:46 p.m.

I have always been a typhoon fan...

I am pretty happy with my 5-speed 4runner for truck stuff.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/19 8:48 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I am actually speechless for how good that looks on those C5 magnesium wheels. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/30/19 8:52 p.m.
spacecadet said:

crossovers are less dumb than Wranglers that never go off road, which is almost all of them. 

Thank you, sir.  Thank you.

And, as a certified knuckle-dragging mouth breather, I'll be happy to sing the praises of my 2019 Mazda CX-9.  It has reasonable room for my family of four, plus a dog, plus stuff, plus occasional grandparents.  It meets our needs in a way that a sedan never could.  I think it's faster than any daily driver I've ever dailied, and it gets 27 MPG.  It's very comfortable and quiet.  It handles surprisingly well for its size, and I think it looks kinda cool.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/30/19 8:54 p.m.
spacecadet said:

Sitting upright and not having to slide down into a car has some advantages. 

my father has Inclusion Body Myosotis and is loosing muscle mass in his arms and thighs and abs at an uncomfortable rate. 

Sorry to hear that :(.  My father had Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy, which had similar symptoms earlier on.

Near the end a vehicle without an H point at almost exactly the correct height was pretty much impossible for him to get in/out of.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/30/19 9:22 p.m.

Mine is neither a bubble, nor is it girly looking. Sure, you might get rabies if you get too close, but it sure does a good job of hauling me and all my crap around...

Signed, 
A knuckle-breathing, mouth-dragging SUV driver...

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/30/19 10:43 p.m.

But I guess the reason SUVs "CUVs" whatever the berkeley you want to call them sell so well is because 90% of people don't give a E36 M3 how a car looks or performs, at which point, it might as well look like a dishwasher or a tanning bed. 

Yes, which is why basically 90% of people should be driving Rav4 Hybrids. What irks me are, as mentioned, the ones that basically aren't good at anything! The current CX5 and CX9, and rx450h mentioned  (and sibling Highlander Hybrid) also fall into my 'they're good at something' category.  I think there are a lot of good crossovers. The reason why there are so many mediocre ones is because buyers have low standards and i honestly think just being ABLE to buy XYZ new car serves as a type of confirmation bias for a lot of people. I don't think that many new car buyers actually do any remotely extensive research, comparison, or cross-shopping. I think the research most buyers do basically falls into determining how much money they can spend, and then immediately going and spending it on basically the first thing that some stupid dealership employee in the long chain of people they have to deal with doesn't manage to sour them on. I'm tempted to think used car buyers on average do more comparison and cross-shopping than new cars buyers, but i have nothing to back that up. 

I own 2 suvs and a crossover and think they are all fairly good looking and good at multiple things. Although, stuff i buy usually gets to count 'cheap' as one of the things they're good at. New cars don't have that going for them. cheeky

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 11:20 p.m.

I test drove a new Explorer with the ST option package.   Very nice!!!  Like how they look as well. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/31/19 4:00 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I'm inclined to agree. Most people seem to put just as much thought into buying a car as they would a toaster. There's a reason they're frequently called appliances on this forum...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/31/19 4:39 a.m.

I think the Urus looks OK.  Not something I would spend $200K+ on, but whatever.  I'm also a guy who usually daily's a minivan and is happy with a fleet of small, underpowered British/Swedish cars, so I am definitely an outlier in the car world.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/19 5:42 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
wvumtnbkr said:

I think that's the point...  what is the point of 95% of the suvs on the road?  They can't tow, they can't do off-road, they are not made for any particular job and do most jobs worse than a minivan.  80% of them look identical.

I don't get this type of hate.  Tiny minivans don't exist (although the Maxda 5 was pretty good).  CUVs like the Rav 4, CRV, etc. offer a lot of space and utility for a family that doesn't need a minivan.  They get better gas mileage, are easier to park, and way, way cheaper to purchase.  As much as I didn't really like our Saturn Vue, the Odyssey was a much worse vehicle to have for a small family.  And Honda and Toyota make a much better Vue than GM does.

Yeah, they are berkeleying appliances, because that's what people need.

Right now I find myself wishing I had a 'utility box' vehicle that I could throw large things inside of, that I can also daily year round with a kid.  CUVs tend to fill that need pretty well.  Don't get me wrong, what I really want is this, but reliable and with decent gas mileage:

It seems you do get it.  They just don't make what you want cause they are too busy making crossovers instead of small minivans or wagons.

We have a Mazda 5.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
12/31/19 5:44 a.m.

So everyone makes a lot of good points in defense of midsized crossovers. My in-laws have a RAV-4 hybrid and it's perfect, basically.  The CX-5 drives better and looks better, but it also doesn't get 30mpg around town.  Yes, they all look the same, but safety regulations and efficiency concerns yield a consistent look.  They are stealing sales from sedans because sedans are less useful.

My beef is with three row crossovers. They're just crippled minivans for the insecure. Honda, I'm looking at you and your godawful Pilot. Now get off my lawn!

poopshovel again
12/31/19 7:16 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I test drove a new Explorer with the ST option package.   Very nice!!!  Like how they look as well. 

Yeah, that's not bad.

poopshovel again
12/31/19 7:19 a.m.

I saw a Blazer in red recently that at least set itself apart from the other jellybeans and toasters.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/31/19 7:21 a.m.

One advantage of driving an Explorer is it's equivalent of driving an old Crown Vic - most folks will get out of your way thinking you might be a cop.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/19 7:25 a.m.

I sure love my "Sport Utility Vehicle" even though it's objectively terrible at all three.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
12/31/19 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

My God, you've invented the station wagon!  Now, paint it Metallic Peat and apply faux wood grain on the side and you might have something.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/31/19 7:31 a.m.
triumph7 said:

In reply to Floating Doc :

My God, you've invented the station wagon!  Now, paint it Metallic Peat and apply faux wood grain on the side and you might have something.

Shhhh!!  No, no, no - it's a sporty SUV.

(or at least let's let the snopes believe that... wink )

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/31/19 8:23 a.m.

It may be true that some SUV buyers do not thoroughly consider their purchase, though I doubt it.  Most people recognize that their second-largest purchase should be well thought out.  In my case, we as a family considered every facet of a large number of vehicles before deciding on the CX-9.  Given that the vehicle it was to replace was the very competent Mazda MPV, a large number of candidates were eliminated on the basis of driving dynamics.  Neither the Sienna nor the Pacifica could come close to the CX-9 in terms of handling.  Large people-movers that don't feel like a bus or cost over $50k or drink gas like a pig are far and few between. 

CX-9!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3N78cEQUorClz0F3cb5LonpMyLtDHcRNMOWnIZdE17HFWQuT042zy4vGP7vQqgRb