1 2 3 4
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/19 4:48 p.m.

Random thoughts:

I like the honest homeliness of a Element/Trooper over most SUVs that are basically tall station wagons or hatchbacks. 

Have to say that as I get older and my eyes get more sensitive to brightness, I wish that headlights were mounted lower in vehicles, because even in my Ridgeline, I get much more glare than I'd like. 

Since SUVs are becoming the vehicle of choice, it occurs to me that it's a bit of forward into the past. Is this not rather SUV-esque?:

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/31/19 4:59 p.m.

I think we need to start a thread on who has the LEAST practical collection of vehicles.  That would be a great one for the holier than thous to tell us why we're so dumb for owning our various vehicles.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/31/19 5:17 p.m.
Kreb said:

Random thoughts:

I like the honest homeliness of a Element/Trooper over most SUVs that are basically tall station wagons or hatchbacks. 

Have to say that as I get older and my eyes get more sensitive to brightness, I wish that headlights were mounted lower in vehicles, because even in my Ridgeline, I get much more glare than I'd like. 

Since SUVs are becoming the vehicle of choice, it occurs to me that it's a bit of forward into the past. Is this not rather SUV-esque?:

That's a good looking Vee-hicle, right there...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/31/19 5:49 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I completely agree. 

I appreciate that, thanks!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/31/19 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I'm on it!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/1/20 2:12 p.m.

Inferring that the general public is so dumb that they're spending between $30,000 and $50,000 without significant research is a terribly cynical thing to do. I actually looked it up and saw almost 14 hours of research being done by the average buyer.

I feel like I should clarify my statement about low standards vs doing research. Comparing between a bunch of poor options counts as doing research but not as having high standards. Manufacturers have already proven that it's POSSIBLE to make crossovers get better fuel economy and drive better than the non-SUVs of just a few years ago. Buying something that doesn't is just using the '2nd biggest purchase of your life' to let manufacturers off the hook. If we were talking about unions i think the term would be 'scabbing'.  Just like manufacturers released a bunch of 40mpg cars within approximately 4 seconds of actually updating CAFE a decade ago.  Customers could have done the same good that the regulation did if they actually expected more, or at least that's the free-market theory. 

I mean, you can just not care about fuel economy or any number of other things, and that's anyone's right. Just like I have a right to be glad I'm not one of the ~5000 people of my generation who didn't come back from foreign entanglements that some feel boil down primarily to energy supply and the huge ripple effects that can have on the entire economy etc, or that I'm not one of the hundreds of thousands of people who probably didn't care about energy issues but just happened to exist in the world where it still matters anyway and were killed by some Americans who maybe cared about energy issues, maybe didn't, but still did what they did. When did new-car shopping get so complicated? It didn't, if you bought a  brand new ~20mpg SUV in 2019. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
1/1/20 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Where in the world did that come from? You forgot to mention that when you buy a new SUV, you are required to kill a puppy. 

Some people still have large families. Modern crossover SUV’s are much better gas mileage wise than the other options. Much better than truck based SUV’s, and, surprise, better than the current minivans. Much better than how my family had to get around when I was a kid- we had to take two cars. Minivans should be better- but few people want them, so the automakers build less, there are less options, and less R&D invested. The current Sienna is pretty much the same Sienna sold in 2012. The Telluride I just bought gets better mileage than the 2014 Sienna I just sold, and quite a few new SUV’s get better mileage than that. You want the manufactures to build more fuel efficient alternatives? Then put your money where your mouth is. I don’t See a hybrid Pacifica in your garage. Maybe you are on the waiting list for the new hybrid Highlander or Explorer? Or are you just here to tell other people what they should buy? 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/1/20 6:36 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
yupididit said:

Are we circling this horse carcass again? 

Apparently, we are.

And we wouldn't have to rehash this over and over if some of us "car guys" would get used to the fact that some people drive something they don't like. 

Oh, and maybe stop lumping literally millions of people into one shallow, spontaneous group of heathen, brainwashed  SUV drivers. 

(And get this: I don't even OWN an SUV. In my driveway are two pickup trucks, one minivan, one four-door sedan and three motorcycles. I'm just crazy enough to let people drive what they like without putting them in some less-holy- than-thou box)

Jesus tapdancing christ on a berkeleying stick. AGAIN, I didn't say "SUV's are stupid." I own 2? 3? of them? I just think if they're going to be the new status quo, they could be less retarded looking.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
1/1/20 6:39 p.m.

Always thought the original Infiniti FX 35 station wagon crossover thingy would change things up. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/20 7:42 p.m.

I just think if they're going to be the new status quo, they could be less retarded looking.

What's retarded is arguing about something purely subjective (looks)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/1/20 7:49 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
ebonyandivory said:
yupididit said:

Are we circling this horse carcass again? 

Apparently, we are.

And we wouldn't have to rehash this over and over if some of us "car guys" would get used to the fact that some people drive something they don't like. 

Oh, and maybe stop lumping literally millions of people into one shallow, spontaneous group of heathen, brainwashed  SUV drivers. 

(And get this: I don't even OWN an SUV. In my driveway are two pickup trucks, one minivan, one four-door sedan and three motorcycles. I'm just crazy enough to let people drive what they like without putting them in some less-holy- than-thou box)

Jesus tapdancing christ on a berkeleying stick. AGAIN, I didn't say "SUV's are stupid." I own 2? 3? of them? I just think if they're going to be the new status quo, they could be less retarded looking.

Jesus Irish Stepdancing Christ, I don't see your name referred to in my post anywhere.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/20 8:31 p.m.

Gee, who could have seen this coming with this topic? frown

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
1/1/20 8:35 p.m.

I recently picked up this manual suv and love it. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/1/20 8:59 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I'm not sure what your point is in writing that. It doesn't seem to push the dialogue forward or be in any way constructive.

Maybe I need to clarify (or maybe I'm not even part of what you were taking about, I don't know) but it seems to ME there are too many threads and/or posts condemning specific types of vehicles and especially their drivers/owners as second-class, dumb, "mouth-breathing", vapid or some other derogatory term simply because said poster doesn't agree with someone else's choice of vehicle.

My point is that there's no room for that here. GRM obviously isn't my site. I'm a subscriber, yes, but that's all I contribute aside from my opinions. But my opinion is that of all people the members here should not be condemning an entire group of people or vehicles.

Specifically I'm referring to full size pickups and SUV's but I'd say the exact thing about exotics, imports, low riders, lifted 4x4's, stanced cars, Miata's, Yugos whatever. Let other sites denigrate each other for their choice of vehicles. 

This is NOT directed at anyone specifically. I just what I see as an ugly trend that has the potential to turn off and turn away new members and perhaps more importantly, existing ones.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/20 9:13 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I'm not sure what your point is in writing that. It doesn't seem to push the dialogue forward or be in any way constructive.

My point is that every time we have a thread on SUVs, we get this same type of argument about who "needs" a certain type of vehicle, what other people "should" be driving, etc. From a bunch of people who celebrate sports cars, the most impractical things on the road.

IOW, we agree.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/1/20 9:49 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Mine's not a manual yet, but it will be...

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/1/20 11:12 p.m.

Where in the world did that come from?

I asked myself that right after I posted and walked away. Good thing I don't sit at home in the middle of the day much, i guess. I was gonna delete that 2nd paragraph if noone had reacted to it yet, but here we are. 

The Telluride I just bought gets better mileage than the 2014 Sienna I just sold, and quite a few new SUV’s get better mileage than that. You want the manufactures to build more fuel efficient alternatives? Then put your money where your mouth is. I don’t See a hybrid Pacifica in your garage. Maybe you are on the waiting list for the new hybrid Highlander or Explorer? Or are you just here to tell other people what they should buy? 

Well, the reasons I don't buy new cars in general would be me going off on another tangent, but I've owned 5 hybrids up to this point. I only bought one in 2019! It was a Highlander. I also bought a Pacifica, but a first gen that they didn't build a hybrid of. The current one is definitely something I'm interested in even though I don't think the basic design of the current Pacifica is a slam dunk (which i DO think about the Telluride). Funny you should mention the Explorer. I have to do 20 hrs of industry training each year for my automotive instructor job. Some of the training I did in 2019 was Ford web-based training about their hybrid systems, and frankly the Explorer/large-rwd hybrid system is sort of a joke. It is... better than no hybrid at all. By about 10 years ago standards. The new Highlander Hybrid will average something like 7mpg better. Anyway, I figure my household has put about ~150k on hybrids up to this point and while there there are still many I'd like to own, I'm trying to push myself into the PHEV arena. What's most likely to happen is I buy a ~$4500 I-miev in the near future (partially in thought of it being a potential house battery and RV 'toad') and if all signs don't point to it being a bad idea I'll eventually replace my current Cayenne with a Cayenne S E-Hybrid (phev). 

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/2/20 9:04 a.m.

When did this board become reddit?

D2W
D2W HalfDork
1/2/20 9:26 a.m.
OjaiM5 said:

This makes me happy. 

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/2/20 12:27 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
ebonyandivory said:
Tom_Spangler said:

My point is that every time we have a thread on SUVs, we get this same type of argument about who "needs" a certain type of vehicle, what other people "should" be driving, etc. From a bunch of people who celebrate sports cars, the most impractical things on the road.

IOW, we agree.

I hate all sports cars, I only drive sports crossover with turboboosters...I'm kidding of course :-):-):-)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/2/20 12:50 p.m.

I want a cop spec tahoe. Those things are sexy.

Also, befire you lament something for being ugly, google it with stanced behind it.

Like nissan juke. Stanced.

Damn thing looks AWESOME lowered. 

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/2/20 12:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I want a cop spec tahoe. Those things are sexy.

Also, befire you lament something for being ugly, google it with stanced behind it.

Like nissan juke. Stanced.

Damn thing looks AWESOME lowered. 

Here come the stance police winkyes

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qPdVgwTIhedLPUcFV1hQmO2INGvPgYxgaFr4d1iHnVKKXNVSn07vALXmYRjtonUN