Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
7/16/08 11:38 a.m.

Anyone here have experience with the SN95 Mustangs? I've kinda had my eye on them lately. With gas prices getting higher, it might be a good time to buy one (not necessarily drive one though). I've seen a few cars for under $5,000 with a fair bit of modifications on them already. I hear the suspension geometry on the Mustang's is pretty terrible. Do they handle decently when they're lowered properly? What about the motors? I know the 5.0 has a huge parts base, but isn't the 4.6 supposed to be a "high-revver"? I like high-revving motors (why I have an MR2), plus there's the ability to do the PI-swap. I'd gladly give up some low-end torque to be able to rev the thing higher.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/16/08 11:40 a.m.

Get you started: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/pony-express/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2002-ford-mustang/

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
7/16/08 7:01 p.m.

Honestly, it all depends on what your budget is and what your goals are for the car.

If you are looking for an all-out track car, generally the proven suspension kits by companies like Maximum Motorsports and Griggs will run around 4-5 thousand and turn your Mustang into a real terror.

Conversely, you could always buy whatever Ford is calling the "Bullitt" handling kit nowadays, (Stiffer shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars) and add some Cobra brakes to your car ...and you'd have a fairly entertaining track/street car.

As far as building a high-revving motor, either the 5.0 or 4.6 can be modified to fit your purposes. In stock form, the 4.6 is a bit more willing to rev, but both redline below 7000 rpm.

I'm currently stuck with a fairly beaten 1994 GT track car, and if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd find a 1996-1998 Cobra in decent condition, and start from there. You have decent handling, good brakes, and a DOHC motor that's willing to rev to about 7200 rpm. Prices are going to be a bit higher than 5 grand, but IMHO it's well worth it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/16/08 9:31 p.m.

lowered properly means not lowered much.. more then an inch and a half is bad news.

I am working on my 97 cobra for ESP. I have more development to do but I was able to pull 1.24g on TIRED V700victos with H&R race springs, Koni singles, CCplates, urethane bushings, and 35mm front swaybar (stock rear bar)

i need to do something about the rear (panhard bar) in the not too distant future. The stock rear susp is said to move an inch or 2 laterally under hard cornering.

The car is a hell of alot of fun in its current trim (or will be whenever i get that new diff in, slate that as an upgrade item for auto-x or just a once a year or 2 rebuild item)

if its a GT you want the 302, if you can afford the cobra get the 4.6 (94-95 is 302, 96-on is 4.6) the 4.6 gt motor is a bit of a dog compared to the 302 and the 302 is more affordable and easier to mod.

If ultimate mod power is your goal build a 302 (or get a 2003-2004 cobra that 500hp is a few bolt ons away.)

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/16/08 9:54 p.m.

I think the best bang for the buck in a performance Mustang is the 96-98 Cobra. That would stretch your budget, but IMO its worth it. I understand that early 96 Cobras were prone to overheating but I have no personal experience with that. By comparison, IMO - in general - 94 & 95 GT's in nice shape are overpriced, & 96 - 98 GT's aren't worth the effort.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/16/08 11:30 p.m.

with the 4.6 4v, if you really want to build a lot of power with one you almost have to go to forced induction unless you want to spend LOTS of $$$.

cams are over $1000, the 5.0cammer 4v is rather spendy as well.

if i wasnt building for a class and I wanted to do motor work i would probably put forged rods/pistons in, a procharger on, and tweak fuel and spark for 450ish hp. (note that the stock rods/pistons are hyperutetic and considered "risky" past 425-ish horse. I heard rumors that they can peel like an onion past about that)

im not saying that it cant really be done, its just that compared to the 302 it aint cheap or easy!

but if your intention is to leave it close to stock... its a hellova motor. I still get a few people who think that my pretty much stock DOHC is some full built race motor from time to time... ( and i havent even bothered to put underdrive pullies on it yet )

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0jQmPNqDNQQ0ujBehEXl3y8DKvX5QJaiIwkZ5x7x3qC1kq9TCM2DLfhA9KZZucxv